Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Commuting to Work

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Commuting to Work

Old 08-25-19, 04:19 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’m a three day twenty mile a day bicycle commuter. I used to be a five day a week man but then I had a double hart bypass, DRATS! Getting old sometimes gets to be annoying. I’m hoping to go back to my old ways soon, as I’m feeling stronger everyday and I’m still this side of the tulips.
Old 10-07-19, 12:11 AM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Had a little setback on Friday, I crashed and had a concussion. I got back on the bike, but I don't remember how I got to work. I even forgot to stop at the store. My employer took me to the doctor to get me checked out. I'm a little banged up, knees, ribs, and elbow. I'm off for a week. I've been sleeping and resting. My body still feels stiff. Not sure if I'll ride my bike home next Friday. It depends on how the body feels. Thank You.
Hope you are feeling better. Let us know how your recovery is going and if plan to keep riding. Wrecking or getting hit is the commuters occupational hazard. What bike were you riding?
Old 10-07-19, 02:45 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jskita
Hope you are feeling better. Let us know how your recovery is going and if plan to keep riding. Wrecking or getting hit is the commuters occupational hazard. What bike were you riding?
I am doing well. Yes, I fell not sure where but I do have my suspicions on where. I was in a rush to get to work. I learned a lot. Now I vary my commute route to increase my interest and to have alternatives to my primary route. Some mental memory lapses, but overall better. I sleep better now. I still enjoy riding to work four times a week. I was riding my 2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE. I would like to get another ebike next year. Not sure, since my motor scooter was stolen last week.

The weather is starting to get colder 30 F in the morning and 60+ F in the afternoons. I am continuing on my quest to lose 100 lbs by next summer. Thank You for asking.
Old 05-18-20, 06:50 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
A year later. I have lost 30 lbs and still working on it. I purchased a new Blix Aveny this March and commuted during the winter. The first winter is a big learning curve. I learned that I don't like commuting below freezing both ways, one way is fine. I also had a few spills on ice because the temperatures here in Denver goes above and below freezing a lot. Learned a few different routes for snow melting.

I also got a new scooter in September because my old one got stolen. The new scooter had a hard time starting below freezing. I took the bus/train to work a lot this winter.

This month, I got an action camera so I'd like to share my commute with you. Just raw video no voice overs or anything like that. I tried handlebar mounted camera, but helmet mounted camera is better. The handlebar mounted camera recorded bad trails and when the motor turned on.

Found that thrift shops have a lot of used but workable bicycling clothing so picked up a lot of stuff.

My insulin levels are down more than 50%. A1c down to 6.5 . I am working with a nutritionist and reduced my calorie intake too.

Enjoy! Thank You for the encouragement

https://youtu.be/A3kKvYKYlZQ

https://youtu.be/POB_EmzNc80

Last edited by alloo; 05-18-20 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For alloo: