Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bianchi San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 11:41 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Check to make sure the cups are pressed in ALL the way, evenly all the way around.

Check to make sure you don't have a bearing installed backwards. Not an uncommon error.

It's not a mountain bike. Lose the mountain bike grips.
Old 04-07-17, 10:02 AM
eduhat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I found out the seller included the wrong top cap for the headset. LBS put one they had laying around on and didn't charge me! Needless to say now that theres no play I'm in total love with the bike. It's perfect for what I need to do. Tires should have been a bit bigger but I'll ride these out and upgrade when necessary.

I liked those grips because they're comfortable as hell. I don't think Oury grips are MTB are they? I think I've even got an MTB brake system on it, though not sure (Avid Dial 7 levers with Avid Single Digit 7 brakes). The brakes are sticky as hell and I love it. Right now only running front, but I'll hopefully get the back on today if I can figure it out.
Old 04-07-17, 11:28 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by eduhat
Dude, that's awesome! Do you ever come down to Miami for any rides? If you goto "w w w . themiamibikescene . c o m" you can get some information on the rides we have. Taco Tuesday is an awesome one for me. Great group of guys and always a great time. Be ready to ride and drink some beer though!

Your build is not quite my cup of tea but I hope you thoroughly enjoy your bike. Occasionally I ride down to or though Miami - will try to check with you next time. But I guess I am prejudiced in that I think that the riding up here is superior, so IMHO you should think about heading up this way some time

Fun fact: Gitane City Link is the same frame as San Jose
Old 04-07-17, 02:45 PM
eduhat

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Your build is not quite my cup of tea but I hope you thoroughly enjoy your bike. Occasionally I ride down to or though Miami - will try to check with you next time. But I guess I am prejudiced in that I think that the riding up here is superior, so IMHO you should think about heading up this way some time

Hey man, all good! To each their own, whatever floats who's ever boat is cool with me. I'll shoot you a PM over in a little bit, I'd be interested to come check it out up there.
Old 04-07-17, 02:47 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I almost bought one but I couldn't get past the awful paint scheme.
Old 04-07-17, 06:15 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
So guys, I have great news. My bike is completed!! So far I've only got the front brake installed so I could actually ride it. I'll get my rears on by the weekend hopefully.

I am having an issue with the headset not wanting to tighten correctly. I can't seem to find the sweet spot between the headset being tight and the steerer tube not wanting to turn. I took the bearings off of the top and everything looks good there, not so sure on the bottom. The headset came with the frameset as purchased, cups were already pressed into the frame. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Check out the pics, let me know what you think!!

Bianchi San Jose - Album on Imgur

I know I know, drive line on the opposite side, I'm still getting used to this!!
Looks like a fun ride. I'd throw some fatter tires on it and rock out.
Old 04-08-17, 05:41 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Hey man, all good! To each their own, whatever floats who's ever boat is cool with me. I'll shoot you a PM over in a little bit, I'd be interested to come check it out up there.

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
I almost bought one but I couldn't get past the awful paint scheme.
No big deal - only offering an alternative to those who seemed to miss the San Jose...but it's just a simple retro-style panel paint-job so I don't see what could be so "awful" about it
Old 04-08-17, 11:37 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I liked those grips because they're comfortable as hell. I don't think Oury grips are MTB are they?
Yes, they are MTB grips. But just ignore me. I give anyone and everyone crap if they have those on their street bikes. All just joking around. If your bike is comfortable and performs the way you want it to, that is all that matters. I dig your bars though. They makes the bike look like it was built with curb jumping and wheelies in mind.
Old 05-21-20, 06:37 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
i know this is old, but

anybody have a list of cranks that will actually fit on the San Jose... All 3 of my sets wont fit.

SRAM Force 1 may work if i move the chainring to the front bracket instead of the back (is that even safe or warranted?)

Anyways I bought a frame and been trying to build it up and sheeeesh all of the knowledge i have picked up from not understanding alot! chainline BB spacing threaded not threaded etc etc...

any help would be amazing!