Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need help with parts (Front through bolt)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 07:34 AM
Healeymr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am trying to figure out what the best approach is to this problem. I recently broke off the release lever on the front wheel. So, I now have to replace it or replace the wheel(s). Here is what I know about the bike. It is a 2009 Specialized full suspension Stumpjumper with DT Swiss X420SL wheels. I have 9 gears and disc brakes. I have had to replace the front fork with a Fox 32 suspension. Here is what I need help with:

1) I found out that the through bolt is 9mm. I was able to find a 9x100 front through bolt but when I took a tape measure to the length of the broken bolt it was more like 13xmm long. Am I measuring the correct bolt length or will the 9x100mm bolt fit that wheel

2) if it will not fit the wheel, then what wheels should I replace the current DT Swiss X420SLs with?

Finally, please do not reply with "You should get a new bike". That is not an option at this time. It might be once my employment situation is more stable post COVID, but right now I don't really have the $ to spend on a new bike. I want to fix this one in as cost effective a way as possible.
Old 05-21-20, 08:17 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Healeymr
I'm assuming you have a QR fork as well.
100mm is the space between the dropouts on the forks, so 130mm for the QR axle length is right to include the extra length needed for the nutted end
You don't need new wheels, I'm not sure why the axle you procured is so short. Where did you get it?
Here's one for under $20
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...ack-Front-Only
Old 05-21-20, 08:24 AM
Healeymr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you. The bolt that I bought was speced at 9x100. I assumed (incorrectly) that meant the length of the bolt would be 100mm. So, when it arrives, I now suspect that it will be longer and I can use it to fix the bike.

Buying bike parts is so hard for the non-mechanic rider.
Likes For Healeymr:
Old 05-21-20, 05:44 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Healeymr
Thank you. The bolt that I bought was speced at 9x100. I assumed (incorrectly) that meant the length of the bolt would be 100mm. So, when it arrives, I now suspect that it will be longer and I can use it to fix the bike.

Buying bike parts is so hard for the non-mechanic rider.
I hear ya 100% - couple of things -

1. the part you're after is a skewer. I was all confused until I read the first reply, I thought you were dealing with a thru-axle, which is a different thing. Don't call it a 'bolt' from now on because that's not what it is.

2. People who are new to working on their bikes who are also a little strapped for cash, I find, tend to avoid their local bike shop (LBS) because they fear it's going to be spendy. Something like a snapped skewer is pretty common and replacements are stocked by every bike shop. Most would probably install for free since it's about a 45 second fix and not charge you any more than JensonUSA (a very good site also, nothing against them). It takes the guessing game out of things like getting parts with the right compatibility, etc.

3. I don't think anyone here would tell you to get a new bike unless you damaged a frame pretty badly. I think we all work on our own stuff, at least to an extent. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, but when I upgrade parts or get replacement parts my LBS installs them for me for free because they're awesome. That way, when I go to fix later, I know it was done right the first time!

4. Too bad we got this COVID home isolation order or I would run to the post office and mail you a skewer. I have some in a drawer somewhere.

5. I have HEARD that Shimano skewers are superior to others. I have had several brands (Orbea, Shimano, no-name??) and never had one fail, but I do like Shimano products, by in large. They're like the Honda of the bike parts world- not terribly sexy but reliable and relatively cheap.

Sorry for the Dave-download - have fun and enjoy the ride
Old 05-21-20, 07:07 PM
Healeymr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dave,

Thank you for the reply. One of the sources of confusion was that I ordered a skewer and it was too small from a decimeter perspective. So, I did some searching and the term through bolt came up. Apparently it was the wrong term and what I was looking for is a thru-axle. That is what I ordered so hopefully it is the correct part.

I appreciate not just resorting to 'get a new bike'. I got that a few times and it is annoying.

Originally Posted by davei1980
I hear ya 100% - couple of things -

1. the part you're after is a skewer. I was all confused until I read the first reply, I thought you were dealing with a thru-axle, which is a different thing. Don't call it a 'bolt' from now on because that's not what it is.

2. People who are new to working on their bikes who are also a little strapped for cash, I find, tend to avoid their local bike shop (LBS) because they fear it's going to be spendy. Something like a snapped skewer is pretty common and replacements are stocked by every bike shop. Most would probably install for free since it's about a 45 second fix and not charge you any more than JensonUSA (a very good site also, nothing against them). It takes the guessing game out of things like getting parts with the right compatibility, etc.

3. I don't think anyone here would tell you to get a new bike unless you damaged a frame pretty badly. I think we all work on our own stuff, at least to an extent. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, but when I upgrade parts or get replacement parts my LBS installs them for me for free because they're awesome. That way, when I go to fix later, I know it was done right the first time!

4. Too bad we got this COVID home isolation order or I would run to the post office and mail you a skewer. I have some in a drawer somewhere.

5. I have HEARD that Shimano skewers are superior to others. I have had several brands (Orbea, Shimano, no-name??) and never had one fail, but I do like Shimano products, by in large. They're like the Honda of the bike parts world- not terribly sexy but reliable and relatively cheap.

Sorry for the Dave-download - have fun and enjoy the ride
Old 05-23-20, 08:24 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Healeymr
Dave,

Thank you for the reply. One of the sources of confusion was that I ordered a skewer and it was too small from a decimeter perspective. So, I did some searching and the term through bolt came up. Apparently it was the wrong term and what I was looking for is a thru-axle. That is what I ordered so hopefully it is the correct part.

I appreciate not just resorting to 'get a new bike'. I got that a few times and it is annoying.
glad you got it figured out!

my bike has non qr thru axles- they come
off with an allen wrench. Super simple
Old 05-24-20, 01:10 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
The 'thru-axle' comes with the fork.
Go to the fork manufacture and get the proper replacement for your specific fork.