Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What is it like where you are?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 09:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I find this ocean thing making my wishes to visit St. Kilda danged hard.
Old 03-26-17, 08:20 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Today is cold and rainy in Tokyo. Winter is trying to cling on for as long as it can. But it will get warmer soon, the cherry blossoms are just beginning to open, and from my window, I can see some of the trees at Aoyama cemetery starting to turn pink.

The ice skating rink has been dismantled, and a large imitation Mt Fuji has been put up in it's place. The Ritz Carlton hotel has set up an outdoor cafe at the park serving tasty meals, and good wine. Once the cherry blossoms are in full bloom, the line at this cafe will be 30 minutes long.

I have just over 4 months to prepare for my 2500km cross-Japan ride, and spent the weekend replacing the brake cables and brake pads on my bike. Once the rain clears out, I'll start training again. The big loop at Yoyogi is closed to cars on Sundays and holidays, and is open only to bicycles. It is a good place to test out new mods and make adjustments to my bike. The new Olympic stadium is being constructed on the outside of this loop, but no structure is visible yet.
Old 03-27-17, 12:20 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Today is cold and rainy in Tokyo. Winter is trying to cling on for as long as it can. But it will get warmer soon, the cherry blossoms are just beginning to open, and from my window, I can see some of the trees at Aoyama cemetery starting to turn pink.

The ice skating rink has been dismantled, and a large imitation Mt Fuji has been put up in it's place. The Ritz Carlton hotel has set up an outdoor cafe at the park serving tasty meals, and good wine. Once the cherry blossoms are in full bloom, the line at this cafe will be 30 minutes long.

I have just over 4 months to prepare for my 2500km cross-Japan ride, and spent the weekend replacing the brake cables and brake pads on my bike. Once the rain clears out, I'll start training again. The big loop at Yoyogi is closed to cars on Sundays and holidays, and is open only to bicycles. It is a good place to test out new mods and make adjustments to my bike. The new Olympic stadium is being constructed on the outside of this loop, but no structure is visible yet.
Thanks for the word picture. It's interesting to read about the local variations on season change. I look forward to reading about your big trip and preparations for it.

Here, a record warm winter has degenerated into a cold and nasty spring. I saw more cyclists in January than I do now in late March. But if the day gets a little warm, people will be out with their coats unzipped and enjoying the weather. We have a lot of fruit trees, but they hold off on blossoming until May and June.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-02-17, 11:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

People are racing about in their cars and I yell at them you're already in hell, it's a nice place, Peyton Place sued and Satan has no qualms about the name...enjoy, as I have for 34 years...

I just can't get all that out in a short time.
Old 04-07-17, 02:01 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
The weather in southern Colorado right now is similar to what Roody describes in Michigan - we've been having some colder, snowy days here since mid-March, and while the amount of moisture we've gotten is statistically normal, it feels like a shock seeing 4 inches of snow on the ground in April after an abnormally warm and dry winter. On the positive side, because it's Springtime there's more daylight and low temperatures only drop into 30's at night, so the snow melts off very quickly and there's no ice to deal with. This week we'll have high temperatures in the 60-70 range... which is very pleasant but actually cooler than much of February was.

This is a great season to ride bikes here, the weather is generally pleasant for riding, and the intermittent moisture means that the trails for mountain biking are great (not muddy except for the first day after snow, not dry and dusty like they'll become late in the summer). Most people are fair-weather riders only, so while there were a lot of people out on a day when we hit 80 degrees in early March, there haven't been a lot of cyclists to see the last few weeks, though I did see a fair number of road cyclists on a popular route last Sunday afternoon. Fellow commuting/utility cyclists remain an uncommon sight here regardless of the time of year because much of my city, humans are not the dominant species, we build for the convenience of our cars.
Old 04-09-17, 12:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Thursday: two inches of snow.
Sunday: 70 degrees and sunny!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-09-17, 08:35 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Yesterday it was warm enough (about 10C/50F) that I put a couple of bikes in turn on the stand, to do some minor tuneup work in the driveway, in just a light jacket. Today it was only about 2C/36F when I got up and took the dog out, and now it's about 7C/45F. I probably won't bike today, but I'll take the girl to the dog park in a while, and maybe work on her frisbee skills.
Old 10-08-17, 03:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Slowly but surely, spring is starting to take hold.

Felt like a long winter this year, despite the fact that we had a break in Canada where we had the most summer we've had in years.
Old 10-08-17, 06:01 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Slowly but surely, spring is starting to take hold.

Felt like a long winter this year, despite the fact that we had a break in Canada where we had the most summer we've had in years.
How do you get your threads to live so long?
Old 10-08-17, 08:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
How do you get your threads to live so long?
Just keep talking. I'm good at that.
Old 10-09-17, 08:28 PM
BikeRider3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local weather today

Low temp about 65, high in the upper 70's. Rained steady all day, cloudy. Humidity was considerably considerable. It was a day that seemed like time stood still from beginning to end.
Old 10-10-17, 10:57 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Since the beginning of September (Still summer folks) until this past weekend it's been dry, and with the exception of about 10 days of Fall it's been hot and felt like the middle of July. And it's ****ing October! Yesterday felt like a sauna.
We are getting rain now, but because it's been so dry there is no fall color. The leaves will get very little color, brown, and fall.
I hate it when Fall is like this!
Payback for the mild winter, and for the last ten days of this past February being some of the nicest weather we had all year.
I still bike daily. Only snow, and bitter cold stop me.
Old 10-10-17, 07:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Annnnd...Fall is here!

For my ride home from work at 6:45 PM, it was dark, raining, and 48F. I can't complain too much. It's finally nice and cool for sleeping!
Old 10-11-17, 10:07 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Annnnd...Fall is here!

For my ride home from work at 6:45 PM, it was dark, raining, and 48F. I can't complain too much. It's finally nice and cool for sleeping!
I turned my heat on for the first time today because the house was in the 50s and with clouds all day today it was not going to warm up. We had our month's average rainfall in 1 day on Saturday and then a couple of gorgeous fall day and then rain again and rain forecast for Friday as well. Thankfully I don't have to commute anywhere anymore but I remember the Bike Riders Credo which says, "sometimes you get wet".
And it gets dark out so early now and doesn't get light until near 7 a.m. that it's hard for me to get motivated to do anything when it is cool and cloudy and rainy during the day. I have weatherizing things which 4 months ago I said to myself, "I'll do it in October" and now it is October. I think we still some nice days left though.
Old 10-14-17, 12:32 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Near drought conditions here for several months, which is ideal if you're not a farmer. Now the weather is starting to deteriorate a bit, but they're still predicting above average temps coming back for a couple weeks. Then the long-range forecast is for a colder than usual winter. I love the seasons, all of them!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-15-17, 07:57 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Usually here there's a bit of an Indian summer around half september, but this year there was a warm week two weeks ago so it was a bit late. Then it got normal with about 14C max and touches of frost in the early morning. But now it's 21C and sunny, T-shirt weather, so around noon I wanted to sit in the sun in the garden with a book like I'm used to with these temperatures and sunshine. But it turned out that this late in the year, the sun doesn't make it over the neighbour's trees. Still a nice day though.
Old 10-15-17, 09:57 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Usually here there's a bit of an Indian summer around half september, but this year there was a warm week two weeks ago so it was a bit late. Then it got normal with about 14C max and touches of frost in the early morning. But now it's 21C and sunny, T-shirt weather, so around noon I wanted to sit in the sun in the garden with a book like I'm used to with these temperatures and sunshine. But it turned out that this late in the year, the sun doesn't make it over the neighbour's trees. Still a nice day though.
This is one of the reasons I think it would be good to have reforested cities with narrow towers poking up above the trees throughout. From the roof-patios, it would look like there was a city of small buildings peppering the top of the forest canopy, but underneath the canopy, there would be lots of low-light gardens and narrow roads/paths between the trunks. Towers could be connected with pedestrian bridges and zip-lines at different levels, as long as the canopy stayed robust, thick, and contiguous.
Old 10-15-17, 08:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by tandempower
This is one of the reasons I think it would be good to have reforested cities with narrow towers poking up above the trees throughout. From the roof-patios, it would look like there was a city of small buildings peppering the top of the forest canopy, but underneath the canopy, there would be lots of low-light gardens and narrow roads/paths between the trunks. Towers could be connected with pedestrian bridges and zip-lines at different levels, as long as the canopy stayed robust, thick, and contiguous.
I didn't ask that. I asked what it was like where you are.

Old 10-15-17, 08:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

It is absolutely gorgeous where I am ... sitting on a park bench listening to the waves enjoying the sun and warmth ... between classes. And yes .... I walked here.
Old 10-16-17, 01:33 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I didn't ask that. I asked what it was like where you are.

I was responding to another post.
Old 10-22-17, 06:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

The transporter's circuits are a wee bit off captain.
Old 11-01-17, 06:49 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Beautiful 70 degree weather. Winter is the best here.
Old 11-05-17, 09:23 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Wet.
Old 11-06-17, 02:11 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
-15*C here for the last week...
Old 11-06-17, 08:11 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Orange County SoCal. Say no more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.