Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Build a new set of Cruiser wheels

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 01:13 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Seeing that the spokes on my Cruiser are a corroded mess I'm considering building a new set of wheels based on sun rynolite rims the problem is I've seen the 556 etro rims in two widths 1.5 in and 2 in. I'm not sure which I should use.
Old 02-24-20, 02:47 PM
howie2wheels

Bikes: Specialized Epic Competition, Specialized Sequoia, Rocky Mountain Sherpa Touring, Rocky Mountain Fusion, Raleigh Challenger, Raleigh Cetury, Raleigh Rocky II.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
More wider = more better.
Old 02-25-20, 07:25 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
What size (width) tires are you using. Roger
Old 03-02-20, 04:52 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Seeing that the spokes on my Cruiser are a corroded mess I'm considering building a new set of wheels based on sun rynolite rims the problem is I've seen the 556 etro rims in two widths 1.5 in and 2 in. I'm not sure which I should use.
So you said "Cruiser" and to me that means 26 x 2.125 so 2 in. is the natural choice unless you want to run skinny tires like the Thickslick that are so trendy. Fat tire for a fat ride I always say leave the skinny tires to the road rats. As I get older I tend to steer towards comfort than towards performance. My road and mountain bikes are just collecting dust and haven't been ridden in a decade or so but my cruisers get a regular workout if only to the beach and/or the Pub on extremely nice days. I say extremely because almost everyday is rideable here in So Cal. I have a 1,3,6,7, and 21 speed to choose from depending on my mood and amount of cardio desired. The scenery is also a deciding factor but on good days a wingman is good to have to help guard against a vicious face plant due to ladies swim suit size and coverage.
Old 03-03-20, 09:44 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
So you said "Cruiser" and to me that means 26 x 2.125 so 2 in. is the natural choice unless you want to run skinny tires like the Thickslick that are so trendy. Fat tire for a fat ride I always say leave the skinny tires to the road rats. As I get older I tend to steer towards comfort than towards performance. My road and mountain bikes are just collecting dust and haven't been ridden in a decade or so but my cruisers get a regular workout if only to the beach and/or the Pub on extremely nice days. I say extremely because almost everyday is rideable here in So Cal. I have a 1,3,6,7, and 21 speed to choose from depending on my mood and amount of cardio desired. The scenery is also a deciding factor but on good days a wingman is good to have to help guard against a vicious face plant due to ladies swim suit size and coverage.

She's my fun neighborhood runabout.