Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

You may have already felt this, and now "science" has confirmed it...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

You may have already felt this, and now "science" has confirmed it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 08:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Do a self test. Stand in a crosswalk at the side of the road and see who stops. (In CA it is a law...) keep tabs... try different areas of town... upscale, near colleges, blue collar areas.

Report back... your test is as valid as their test.

My own observations, based on having lunch at a corner restaurant, near the office, and at a busy corner tends t support their observation... and expensive trucks fit the profile of "expensive vehicles." But hey, I have observation bias, no doubt... I probably only noticed the more expensive vehicles and assumed they would not stop.

But what do you see?
Old 03-01-20, 11:03 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Do a self test. Stand in a crosswalk at the side of the road and see who stops. (In CA it is a law...) keep tabs... try different areas of town... upscale, near colleges, blue collar areas.

My own observations, based on having lunch at a corner restaurant, near the office, and at a busy corner tends t support their observation... and expensive trucks fit the profile of "expensive vehicles." But hey, I have observation bias, no doubt... I probably only noticed the more expensive vehicles and assumed they would not stop.

But what do you see?
Virtually no one stops their car here for someone standing at the side of the road at a crosswalk. And if a pedestrian enters a crosswalk while car traffic has the green light and the pedestrians have a "don't walk" indicator, the pedestrians will get ears full of car horn or worse.

I remember back in the early '90s I was visiting the beach cities south of Los Angeles and was absolutely shocked how people would just cross in front of moving traffic coming down the road. Lots of trust or arrogance to believe that cars would see them in time or come to stop. Of course, I found out that was a legal thing to do there no matter how dangerous.

Here, the most similar thing would be people walking into a grocery store. For whatever reason, women will walk right out in front of moving traffic while men are less likely to do so. I quizzed my wife on this years ago as she is one of the one's that will walk right in front of moving traffic. Her response was, "they'll stop". 4000 lbs. versus 120 lbs. Sure, have faith in that.
Old 03-01-20, 01:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
The title of the article is very misleading. Here are the mean values of the cars that yielded, and those that didn't:

Cars that yielded: $5,920
Cars that didn't yield: $7,820
Old 03-04-20, 08:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

But what do you see?
There are apparently "problem" intersections which are worse than others. On one I used to cross on the way to the local store, nobody stopped, ever. They'd just blast through the right-on-red without slowing, to bluff you out of the crosswalk.

The same intersection was far safer on a bike, acting as traffic. In fact, after my first crossing as a cyclist I never again attempted to cross on foot. It makes me skeptical of generalizing these observations.
Old 03-04-20, 05:49 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
There are apparently "problem" intersections which are worse than others. On one I used to cross on the way to the local store, nobody stopped, ever. They'd just blast through the right-on-red without slowing, to bluff you out of the crosswalk.

The same intersection was far safer on a bike, acting as traffic. In fact, after my first crossing as a cyclist I never again attempted to cross on foot. It makes me skeptical of generalizing these observations.
Oh, I agree there are problem intersections... and there are easy intersections. But frankly, if you don't believe the "data" presented... run the experiment yourself. Try different intersections, different times of the day, use different pedestrians. Collect the data, and then summerize.

It's interesting, some of the basic concepts we accept as cyclists are based on some pretty scant data. And quite a bit of it is based on a sample size of one... "well it worked for me..."