Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My first SSCX bike

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

My first SSCX bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 09:45 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
My first SSCX bike

OK. I have to preface this by saying that my road bike has an Ultegra drivetrain with hydros, and I would have run Di2 if I could have afforded it. I love technology, and I understand that it does wonderful things. I'm not about to try to ride my track bike on PBP or anything.

BUT...

With all that said, I just got a super cheap 2012 Felt Breed (for the cost of a nice dinner out), with nothing on it that couldn't have come from 30 years ago--and holy crap, I feel like I'm 12 years old (I'm 49). One gear and nothing I can't fix with some pliers and wrenches. No wondering about gears, no shocks to service--just pedal and go.

I've been wanting to try cross for a while, and since I recently started riding track, I thought single speed might be a good, cheap way to get started and keep myself in shape. I literally had to force myself to stop riding in circles in my back yard, with my dog having a blast chasing me.

I haven't even ridden in a race, and I think I'm a convert. I'm skipping out of work early tomorrow to ride the fire trails.

God help me--at this rate, I'll be on a bike polo team in 6 months.

Last edited by cormacf; 05-03-20 at 10:04 PM.
Likes For cormacf:
Old 05-04-20, 07:55 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Hey, anything that generates enthusiasm is a good thing. So good for you!

I remember when I was a kid I spent much of the day on my bicycle. I rode miles and miles on one gear, and didn't have a clue my bike even had a bottom bracket much less what it did. I rarely, if ever maintenanced the bike. If a tube punctured, it was replaced. And somehow the bike wouldn't die.

There is a certain giddy feeling when you ride a single speed bike again. Or when you try a fixed-gear for the first time. Does a tricycle count?

Anyways, enjoy the ride, whatever that ride is.
Old 05-04-20, 07:57 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Nice! Keep us posted.
Old 05-10-20, 07:51 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Nice! Keep us posted.
Just took it for a ride around the neighborhood on dirt/gravel service roads. 40/18 was no problem on any of the roads getting to and from the dirt, as long as I had enough of a ramp-up (I've been Zwifting on my track bike, so I can mash when I have to), but it seemed a little tall for some sloppy sharp hills on loose dirt, in times where I had to stop and start. Think I'll drop to a 1:1 with a 20t rear for the season.

Although I know there's folk wisdom that says your front and rear shouldn't divide into an integer, but I'm not super-worried about chain wear on this thing.
Old 05-10-20, 09:38 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
Although I know there's folk wisdom that says your front and rear shouldn't divide into an integer, but I'm not super-worried about chain wear on this thing.
I thing that rule was more about saving tires on a fixed gear - your would only have two contact patches on a 40:20 setup if you do skid stops. I don’t worry at all for drivetrain wear. Even if it is a problem, I’ll need knee replacements before I wear out a steel Surly cog.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-10-20, 11:01 PM
cormacf

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I thing that rule was more about saving tires on a fixed gear - your would only have two contact patches on a 40:20 setup if you do skid stops. I don’t worry at all for drivetrain wear. Even if it is a problem, I’ll need knee replacements before I wear out a steel Surly cog.
Ah. I was thinking it was something about the pedal stroke being stronger at certain points and stressing the same teeth and chain links every time. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.

Plus, if I can torque that thing enough to stretch a single-speed chain (let alone wear out a cog), I'll have earned the right to buy a new bike!