Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride on left ?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride on left ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 03:22 PM
schuh8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride on left ?

I've often wondered if riding on the left wouldn't be safer. I've had 2 friends killed by automobiles hitting them from the rear. I know it's probably illegal in most juridictions, but wouldn't riding on the left at lease give you a chance to dodge ?
Old 05-07-20, 04:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Wut
Old 05-07-20, 04:44 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
You would need to get that passed into law in all fifty states. Until then, the point is moot, because it's against the law, and contrary to what drivers are educated to expect.

As for what is safer: Safer is whatever practice is less likely to need to be altered depending on road conditions. If you said "Ride against traffic except when roads are narrow and there's no shoulder", then you introduce confusion, and make it less safe for everyone. The reason that bikes ride with the traffic is because they have rights almost the same as motor vehicles. If they're on a narrow road, where it's unsafe for a car to pass them, they take the lane. How's that going to work when you're riding against the flow of traffic? So now you're in a situation where sometimes it's ok to ride against, and sometimes necessary to ride with the flow. That's a terrible lack of consistency. Your idea would dictate that sometimes the cyclists are supposed to behave like motor vehicles, and sometimes they're supposed to behave completely opposite of motor vehicles. Think about it. It would cost lives.

What happens at intersections? Cyclists would approach stop signs from the opposite side of the road? They would approach traffic lights from the wrong side? They would be getting killed in droves by cars not expecting someone to be coming up from behind as they make a left turn. Cars making a right turn from opposing traffic would also be at risk of hitting you, when they normally may not have any traffic at all to think about. Again, you are asking for trouble.

It may be a little safer on a long straight wide road to be able to see what is coming at you. But if I had to guess where the majority of cycling accidents happen, it's not the long straight wide roads. It's intersections. And your approach makes intersections more dangerous.

Frankly, it's a good thing that for the most part the laws governing cyclists are the same laws that govern all traffic on the roads. What if cyclists were supposed to behave one way, cars another way, and motorcycles a third way? Maybe motorcycles should ride straight down the middle to keep them separate from cars.

Last edited by daoswald; 05-07-20 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 05-07-20, 05:42 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
When we were young, we lived in a farming area, and there was only a small number of vehicles going to other farms in the area. We were taught to walk on the opposite side of the road to which vehicles drive, so we could see any vehicles coming.

When cycling, I avoid, or minimize my time on dangerous roads. Some places I don't even go, with some places I use an alternate route, and with others I ride on the sidewalk.
Old 05-07-20, 05:47 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Illegal here (and everywhere I think) to ride the 'wrong' way on the bike lane but I do it all the time on the sidewalk which makes it a million times easier to deal with people on foot many of whom have on headphones or something else going on. It's legal here but not everywhere.
Old 05-07-20, 05:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by schuh8
I've often wondered if riding on the left wouldn't be safer. I've had 2 friends killed by automobiles hitting them from the rear. I know it's probably illegal in most juridictions, but wouldn't riding on the left at lease give you a chance to dodge ?

I think you should ride on the left. Leave the unnecessary risk to the rest of us daredevils.
Old 05-07-20, 08:29 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
The problem with riding on the left side of the road is, that you are riding against the traffic flow... Now on a highway that is not really a problem... But in town, going through intersections it becomes dangerous, because drivers do not look your way, because nobody is supposed to be coming from that direction except pedestians... and yes pedestrian do that all the time but they are slow moving, and drivers are used to them. a Bicyclist coming their way a half a block away does not register in their brain because for that brief instant that the driver may see the bicyclist, it does not register in the brain of the driver that the bicyclist is coming their way... Thus they pull out and merge with the traffic not realising that the bicyclist is now upon them like a pedestrian, and many bicyclist's are expecting to be treated like a pedestrian because they also seem to like riding on the sidewalk like a pedestrian, and think they have the rights to be allowed through like a pedestrian... So, "if you are riding the wrong way" you need to act like a pedestrian and slow down to pedestrian speeds to be safe... IMO, after having 3 bicyclist's nearly T-Bone me in my car at the same intersection...

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-07-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 05:27 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Bad idea to ride facing traffic. If a collision were to happen the impact would be far greater as the closing speed would be much higher. Let's take a bicycle traveling at 10 mph and a car travelling at 40 miles per hour. If the tow are travelling in the same direction the closing speed is 40 - 10 = 30 mph. Plus If the two are approaching each other the closing speed is 40 + 10 = 50 mph. So riding against traffic is almost doubling the closing speed.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-08-20, 06:24 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Move to the UK.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-08-20, 08:17 AM
bubish

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2016 Specialized Camber, 2008 Trek 1.5, 1989 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Specialized Allez, 1970 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
You could always just get a mirror...
Old 05-08-20, 12:03 PM
Oneder
Banned.

I don't think it would be worse at intersections, if anything better because the biggest problem I always have is people wanting to turn right through my body. It is a good point it is not compatible if bikes want to go on the road though.
Old 05-09-20, 12:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Walking and cycling are different in a couple ways. First, walking is slower, so the speed difference between you and a car is pretty much the same in either direction. Second, walking is inherently all-terrain for most of us, and reacting to cars means getting off the road, pronto, if necessary.

With cycling, riding against traffic would mean that the reaction time is less, and a cyclist may have fewer options for reacting to an oncoming car, depending on terrain and skill.

While I ride with traffic, I ride the way that I walk, meaning that I'm prepared to make a hasty exit from the roadway at any moment. I'd rather contend with the ditch, than with the business end of a truck.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-10-20, 08:48 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
If I am riding somewhere with regular traffic, I stay on the right or the sidewalk. If traffic is very light (no more than a car every 5 minutes or so) I will rise on the left and move to the right in the event of a hill preventing forward visibility or an oncoming car. I figure, the less disrupt drivers, the less I get swerved at.
Old 05-11-20, 08:40 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I just love when an oncoming rider is riding against traffic when I'm riding with traffic. One of us has to move into traffic to pass one another. I've yet to see someone riding against traffic make that move, they just trudge along on forcing the "legal" rider into traffic. Yep, riding against traffic sure is the safer solution.
Old 05-11-20, 04:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I just love when an oncoming rider is riding against traffic when I'm riding with traffic. One of us has to move into traffic to pass one another. I've yet to see someone riding against traffic make that move, they just trudge along on forcing the "legal" rider into traffic. Yep, riding against traffic sure is the safer solution.
That's called "taking the lane."
Old 05-11-20, 04:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Do the math. Ride 20mph with traffic going 30mph: speed differential is 10mph. Ride 20mph against traffic going 30mph: speed differential is 50mph.

If you had to be hit by a car, would you prefer 10mph or 50mph?

Last edited by caloso; 05-12-20 at 12:10 AM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-11-20, 05:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I was almost hit by a cyclist running on the wrong side of the road in the bike lane. I had to scream at him to move to his own lane as he didn't move (and he could certainly see me I run decent lights that are hard to miss). There were directional arrows and everything. He was mad at me for following normal traffic laws and a very clear bike lane with clear arrows going the same way I was going.

Please do not be a salmon. If you are looking to be safe, make sure you use good bright lights (not little cheap dinky lights that are the size of a thumb) at the front (solid always) and rear (blinking OK) and take your lane as needed with confidence. If you are really not confident at riding in the road you might find an empty grassy field and ride around that because riding on the road going the wrong way makes it unsafe for everyone including yourself.
Old 05-11-20, 05:52 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
It is smart to be as predictable as possible. If you follow the rules, you will normally do what motorists expect you to do. If you do something motorists don't expect you to do, you are much more likely to be involved in a collision.
Likes For alo:
Old 05-11-20, 09:12 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Or you could just stop and let him go around however he wants. Not being flippant, but this is a good idea a lot of the time when people are being idiots. Let him be the one to go into traffic or else he can just sit and wait.
Old 05-12-20, 03:59 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I think riding on the left leads to a lot of close calls, which reinforces the feeling that one should ride on the left to spot trouble.
Old 05-12-20, 04:56 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Or you could just stop and let him go around however he wants. Not being flippant, but this is a good idea a lot of the time when people are being idiots. Let him be the one to go into traffic or else he can just sit and wait.
Yeah, I'm already moving on to plan A, B, or C before that cyclist gets near me. They will get a shout out that "YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD" from me, though.

But most cyclists on the wrong side of the road around here are immigrants pedaling to work. Odds are that they don't know exactly what I'm saying.
Old 05-13-20, 07:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Do the math. Ride 20mph with traffic going 30mph: speed differential is 10mph. Ride 20mph against traffic going 30mph: speed differential is 50mph.

If you had to be hit by a car, would you prefer 10mph or 50mph?
additionally, the slower closing speed gives a lot more reaction time to avoid the collision.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-14-20, 06:16 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Besides being (technically) illegal, riding against traffic is effing stupid in most circumstances.

At every intersection, driveway, cross walk, etc. - which way are drivers and pedestrians entering the roadway looking? Towards oncoming traffic, not towards you.
Which way are road signs, traffic lights etc. pointed? Towards oncoming traffic, not towards you.
Coming around a blind corner on the wrong side - how does riding against traffic affect the available reaction time for you and any oncoming driver?
You are riding head-on at other cyclists who are riding legally and safely.

If safety dictates I will, on rare occasions, ride for short distances, very carefully, against traffic. But as a general rule, no.
Old 05-14-20, 06:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
As a side note, OP is 'statistically interesting' ...
first, sadly, knowing _two_ people killed on bike by cars is very rare.
even further, knowing two that were killed from the rear is very very rare.
for more info on bike crashes, here is some data that all of us can learn from:
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812507

Last edited by blacknbluebikes; 05-14-20 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 07:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Just happens this same debate is taking place on our local NextDoor app.

Did everybody miss the bike safety day in Third Grade when the State trooper came to school and taught us the rules of the road?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.