Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 10-16-14, 08:15 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
If there was an much advocacy for crash helmets for people in cars as their was for cyclists, we would probably save a few thousand lives a year in the US.
I'm confused. In A&S, aren't we supposed to be hoping for dead car drivers?
Old 10-17-14, 11:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
six

I am alert to the new thread. Everyone should be alert--------- the world needs more lerts!!!!!
Old 10-17-14, 12:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
By using the word "if" to indicate it was a hypothetical argument. It seems implausible that zero people who die from hitting their head in a car crash would not die if they had a helmet. It is also implausible that 100% of people who due from hitting their head in a car crash would live if they wore a helmet. So 20% seems like a reasonable enough figure to use for argument's sake. Maybe you don't think so. But it ain't 0%, and even in single digits, it's more than total number of cyclists who die each year.

The point is that it seems strange to me that many people take helmet wearing as Obviously The Right Thing To Do on a bike but patently absurd for being in a car
, when there's a pool of 13,000 people out there who might actually not die if they did have one (not to mention the tens of thousands of serious head injuries). That fact that I often wear a helmet when biking makes me wonder why I don't do it when I'm in a car, other than People Just Don't Do That Of Course.

I'm not arguing pro helmet or pro bare head. But the more I consider the issue, the more irrational all the arguments for or against it seem.
Having a collision on the bike vs a collision in a car: you're 1.6 times as likely to have a traumatic brain injury. (cite earlier in the other thread). Maybe that 60% more danger is the difference between "obviously necessary" and "patently absurd" for some people.
Old 10-18-14, 06:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

six

Not only am I alert to the new helmet thread, I am still wearing my helmet as any intelligent person would.
Old 10-18-14, 06:45 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, first my views then a question:

I wear a helmet when I ride my bike. I do so because I think it may help if I crash. I don't think that head involvement is frequent in most bike incidents but I wear my helmet just in case. I know that bike helmet design does, in reality, not provide as much protection as most riders expect, but nevertheless, it has to help a bit, right. A secondary reason for using a helmet is that it seems to be expected, i.e. a part of the uniform. I plan on continuing with my practice; however (here's the question):

I just bought a recumbent tadpole trike. I really doubt that the risk of head injury is anywhere near that of riding a bicycle. Thus I am tempted to go lidless and let the wind blow through my hair. Anyone have an objective, well supported opinion that would make or change my mind? I have to say that this topic is just as contentious on the various bent forums as it is here.
Old 10-18-14, 11:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

matariki

I ride a trike about half the time. And yes the need for a helmet on a trike is far less IMO. There will be less falling, and a shorter distance to fall. Then------------if hit by a car doing 75, a helmet wont do much to save you.
Old 10-18-14, 03:45 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
matariki

I ride a trike about half the time. And yes the need for a helmet on a trike is far less IMO. There will be less falling, and a shorter distance to fall. Then------------if hit by a car doing 75, a helmet wont do much to save you.
I hear you. It will be a while before I have courage enough to mix with traffic so I'll be sticking to MUPs for now. Even there, a head on with an impatient cyclist passing peds is a good possibility so I'll stick with the lid.
Old 10-19-14, 06:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

matariki

Following my last post, yes when I ride my trike I still wear my helmet. BTW if you havent followed the old helmet thread, one reason that I wear my helmet all the time is for legal reasons. If someone hits me and I become road kill, the offender and his lawyer will NOT be able to say that I was partly at fault since I wasnt wearing a helmet. Note that in almost any accident where a cyclist is killed the news media almost always mention wether the cyclist was wearing a helmet or not.
Old 10-20-14, 02:46 PM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets are cool.

Thread over.

Seriously though... if a squirrel were to run out from the bushes and get crammed in your spokes, thus throwing you over the handlebears and into the rear-end of a police horse your chances of suffocation are drastically reduced.
Old 10-20-14, 05:28 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, but what will the horse's lawyer say, what with your enlarged diameter and all?
Old 10-23-14, 08:07 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awww...

But just to summarize:

Safety belts are awesome and if you weren't wearing one when you crashed you would probably have died.

Safety belts suck and are a BigCorp marketing gimmick, and if you do crash, a safety belt probably won't help.

I mean, all that can be said is safety belts MAY help in the event of a crash. Or they may exacerbate it (getting stuck and trapping you in the car).

Does that mean we should all not wear it?
Old 10-24-14, 03:11 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
Awww...

But just to summarize:

Safety belts are awesome and if you weren't wearing one when you crashed you would probably have died.

Safety belts suck and are a BigCorp marketing gimmick, and if you do crash, a safety belt probably won't help.

I mean, all that can be said is safety belts MAY help in the event of a crash. Or they may exacerbate it (getting stuck and trapping you in the car).

Does that mean we should all not wear it?
Ah, this again.
ok. seatbelts have been shown to be very effective in all types of crashing.
Bicycle helmets have been shown to be somewhat effective in one type of crash with a bicycle. See a difference?

Yeah, didn't think so....
Old 10-24-14, 04:04 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Ah, this again.
ok. seatbelts have been shown to be very effective in all types of crashing.
Bicycle helmets have been shown to be somewhat effective in one type of crash with a bicycle. See a difference?

Yeah, didn't think so....
Really? Just one single type of crash? Ok lol. I guess you have no idea what you're talking about.

My point is that there are people who will disagree that safety belts are necessary, just as there are people who will disagree that helmets are necessary, so there will never be a 100% consensus on either.

Nonetheless, it makes little sense to dissuade others from using them if they choose to.
Old 10-24-14, 05:38 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by keyven
Really? Just one single type of crash? Ok lol. I guess you have no idea what you're talking about.

My point is that there are people who will disagree that safety belts are necessary, just as there are people who will disagree that helmets are necessary, so there will never be a 100% consensus on either.

Nonetheless, it makes little sense to dissuade others from using them if they choose to.
depends on how one differentiates crashes. majority are those where no head strike is present and then there are the ones where there is a head strike. Now, depending on what one considers to be the aim of the helmet, it can be very useful or not so much. if its for avoiding lacerations, local hair loss or superficial injuries it's fantastic (although in many cases a hat would suffice). If the aim of the helmet is to avoid serious injury/death it fares considerably worse. In a strike which would otherwise lead to death would leave the helmeted rider with a significant brain injury. It does not however help against most concussions since it does almost nothing against non linear strikes where the brain suffer a torsional injury. These are btw the most common sources of brain damage and not the linear strikes where helmets prove to be most useful.

So yeah. Situations where a _bicycle_ helmet helps (actually helps with staying alive and serious injury free) are quite rare.
And just to make sure, we're now talking about actual crashes and not just riding along. Riding around with a bicycle is so safe with regards to statistics that any kind of safety gear is really quite unnecessary (this of course depends on one's riding, some cycling types are more dangerous than others, hence protect yourself accordingly)

But if we take driving a car for example, in accident situations a seatbelt is almost always useful. Speed is irrelevant really because if you are driving faster than 10mph and crash, a seatbelt is going to be useful in preventing serious injury. It also makes it possible for further safety devices inside the automobile to function correctly. A airbag is going to be useless if you don't hit it. A protective chassis is going to be useful if you get thrown outside of it or bang around inside like a ping pong ball.
Let's take a rear ending where one has already braked enough to drop the speed to 20mph before the crash. What would happen with a seatbelt? probably nothing. Maybe a bit minor of brusing, if that. Without a seatbelt? Ever tried to swallow a steering wheel?

People who disagree with seatbelts and even mandatory seatbelt use are quite different from people who disagree with mandatory bicycle helmet use.

And by the way, who here is dissuading others from using a helmet if they choose to? I have yet to see one post in this new thread. Do quote one if you can find it. But I must say such kooks are quite rare even in this thread. What you will find if you use a bit of time are people who wish to maintain their autonomy on the subject of helmet use and also realize the potential benefits/drawbacks of helmets.
Old 10-24-14, 06:58 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to add to this one. I'm fixing to turn 56. I road bikes many, many miles during my younger years and have just taken it up again. I did some crazy things on a bike when a dumb kid, but survived. I don't do stupid stuff on a bike now, but I also don't heal as quickly now as I did then. If I'm in a social bike ride where a helmet is required or you aren't allowed to ride, I'll wear one, otherwise, I'll take my chances on the road/trails where I ride. Like on a motorcycle, you can't pull your butt up into that helmet if you crash. You're at the mercy of the impact. If you don't feel safe without a helmet, wear it and I'll never call you a wuss! It's your choice. But don't rip me for my choice not to wear one, either. I think people have gotten so used to listening to the government and other big money agencies about "safety", that I'm surprised many are too afraid to even walk down the street without protective gear, including a helmet.

Last edited by spoiledrotten; 10-24-14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-24-14, 10:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

May I assume that the people that dont wear helmets, dont wear shoes when cycling? They too are just protective gear just like a helmet.
Old 10-24-14, 10:48 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
May I assume that the people that dont wear helmets, dont wear shoes when cycling? They too are just protective gear just like a helmet.
I wouldn't assume much of anything on this thread if I were you, but I support YOUR right to make assumptions if you want to!

...I am still wearing my helmet as any intelligent person would.
Oh dear....

That's good for three or four pages of blah, blah, blah here.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-24-14 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-24-14, 01:05 PM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes are more of a comfort thing. I do remember jumping on my old 10 speed one time with no shoes as a young fellow, and it took me just about as long to get off of it as it did to get on. It just wasn't comfortable with those jagged metal edges cutting through my toes and feet.
Old 10-24-14, 02:20 PM
wphamilton

Just curious, does anyone know what is the most common cause of traumatic brain injury?
Old 10-24-14, 02:32 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Just curious, does anyone know what is the most common cause of traumatic brain injury?
American Football.
Old 10-24-14, 02:32 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only when I'm pedaling with my face.
Old 10-24-14, 02:34 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by tractorlegs
American Football.
I think that sports is further down the list, but football is a big one.
Old 10-24-14, 02:37 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here comes the CDC

Children 0-4, Teenagers (15-19), and the Elderly (65+) are the most likely to sustain a TBI.

All of those people should wear helmets all the time. Many hit their head even when they aren't on a bike.
Old 10-24-14, 02:41 PM
elcruxio

In europe apparently 50% of brain injury is caused by motor vehicle crashes.
That's pretty sound evidence for extra secure roll cages, motorsport helmets, five point belts, cup seats, neck bracing collars, nomex suits and lowering driving speeds all around.

Is this ever going to happen? Absolutely not. Why not? Because it would inconvenience the car driver. But you are allowed to inconvenience the cyclist, since that's for their own good, and think of the children and of course they aren't really people. They are cyclists.
Old 10-24-14, 02:57 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Here comes the CDC

Children 0-4, Teenagers (15-19), and the Elderly (65+) are the most likely to sustain a TBI.

All of those people should wear helmets all the time. Many hit their head even when they aren't on a bike.
If you break "Falls" down into more specific categories, Motor Vehicle crashes are by far the largest single cause of TBI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.