Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Boxing Day Plans 2019

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Boxing Day Plans 2019

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 06:40 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Boxing Day Plans 2019

With my wife's British heritage, I've known about and tracked Boxing Day for decades, even though we have no "downstairs" to take care of that day. In the last decade or so, since I resumed cycling, I've tried to take a nice ride on Boxing Day as a season tradition. Some years its too snowy, too icy or too cold (single digits F are below my threshold) or we're out of town with relatives who have no bicycles, so its a shakey tradition but I at least think about it and plan an alternative on the years I cannot ride. For a few years I would ride with Jim Muller and friends when we visited my mother-in-law north of Boston. No longer doing that. I miss those cold rides out of Bedford, MA.

This year we're having a "heat wave" here in the Phila area and will have dry weather and high temps in the 40's all week. Yahoo! I rode today (on the '74 Crescent) and it was great, despite the haunting ice along and across the trails. White ice in the 40's is very slick, walking across is the smart move. I had a great ride regardless. I expect to ride again on Tuesday, maybe the Chester Valley Trail.

Taken on a MUCH warmer day than what we have now.

Boxing Day also looks great so I'll venture to Oaks, PA and take a third quiet scoot to celebrate the day.

So, anyone else got Boxing Day plans? If so let us know. We know that gugie's plans at least start on Boxing Day. If you don't have plans, then just make something up. What better excuse do you need? Alone or with a few or with a gang. Tell us.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 12-22-19, 07:28 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
not a bicycle ride but I might ride my Suzuki DR Z400 a bit over 120km.
Old 12-22-19, 08:21 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Boxing Day be one o' me fave days on ye olde calendar.

Not because it means special activities but because it means the Christmas hoopla is over for another year.

-----
Old 12-23-19, 07:35 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Boxing Day be one o' me fave days on ye olde calendar.

Not because it means special activities but because it means the Christmas hoopla is over for another year.

-----
This. We host Christmas eve, and then head over to my sister's for the 25th. It's always crazy/busy.

I'm off work until Jan 2 and plan on a nice ride on Boxing Day if the wx holds.
Old 12-23-19, 09:16 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
... So, anyone else got Boxing Day plans? ...
Depending on our son's and daughter-in-law's work schedules, it may be another typical Thursday for me: work out at the local YMCA in the early morning, then "grandpa duty" most of the morning, while my wife takes a ballet lesson. I have some bicycle repairs and car maintenance to catch up on, maybe that afternoon.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069