Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commitment to commuter cycling

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commitment to commuter cycling

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 10:18 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
Car-free is not an option as I live NH and the icy roads or low temps makes commuting not an option at times. I also have an older husband who has a heart condition, and a granddaughter(and other family) who lives 30 miles away. So for those reasons I need a vehicle. Though I commute by bike as much as possible even to run my errands. It has everything to do with loving being on my bike and so that is my commitment to biking.
Likes For essiemyra:
Old 01-28-20, 08:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Why not get your groceries delivered? Most Markets have delivery service now a days.
Maybe in the big city!

Seriously, though, I was surprised by the availability of grocery delivery when I returned back to civilization (a larger metro area) in August. No such thing in my previous town of 50,000. Even here in civilization, though, it costs money...

I used Target for some larger item deliveries when I lived without a vehicle in small-town land. Cat litter, pasta, and paper products went well. I quit buying canned stuff after they used Fed Ex for delivery and all the cans were busted up to the point of being unusable.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 01-28-20, 09:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
In portland or it is much easier to commute on a bike there are a ton of roads setup with bike lanes and drivers are used to cyclists. The weather can be anything and change often. I have to carry rain gear as I never know what the weather will be like. Though dark sky is pretty good for telling me about rain.
Wee have good public transportation but with my e bike I am faster sometimes I can do the 9.5 miles faster then my friend in his car. But I have always been car free and my bike has opened things up for me
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-01-20, 10:43 PM
NYcycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I work in medicine and did a bit of research on the health benefits of e-bikes when in graduate school and found a few published studies that concluded that using e-bikes had a significant cardiovascular and weight loss benefit in people when they replaced their normal commuting with an e-bike.

Honestly my opinion is this, if using a pedal assist e-bike ( not a motorcycle, or moped) gets you exercising more than you used to, then it’s worth it. If it’s something you buy and then later abandon in your garage, then it’s wasteful.

I tested one at a bike shop and am planning on getting one to haul my toddler on family rides. The idea of having that extra assistance means the ability to travel further from home with my little on—this flexibility would mean using my car LESS and replacing it with an e bike—extra exercise, fresh air, bonding with my child, this is a no brainer for me. presently doing research on which brand to buy and will likely do so in a month or two. I’ll still use my regular bike for commuting to and from work.
Likes For NYcycles: