Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Higher end gravel bikes- e.g., Warbird and...what else?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Higher end gravel bikes- e.g., Warbird and...what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 08:00 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Love my Revolt Advanced 2, it's great on the road and off. Friend of mine has the Revolt Advanced Pro Force, it's about 18lbs, comes with SRAM AXS and carbon wheels for $5500. The Advanced 0 comes with Ultegra and carbon wheels for $3650. Given that my 2 with 105 and alloy boat anchors is 22lbs, the 0 is prob around 19lbs. Geo is great, bike is fast and comfortable, I've done multiple centuries on it, gravel and road. I even did the WBL ride this past weekend on it, with the 40mm gravel tires (made for a good workout! lol).

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 01-21-20, 08:28 AM
slo_rida

Bikes: cyclocross commuter, 29er full suspension, surly necro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
No mention of the Ibis Hakka? I rented one and was impressed. On the other hand, it is the only true gravel bike I’ve ridden so I may not be the best judge.

Last edited by slo_rida; 01-21-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 11:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by slo_rida
No mention of the Ibis Hakka? I rented one and was impressed. On the other hand, it is the only true gravel bike I’ve so I may not be the best judge.
I forgot about the Carbon Jamis expat too.

and missed some others too. I figured I'd just get a list started..
Old 01-29-20, 07:32 AM
ciclista tifoso

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slo_rida
No mention of the Ibis Hakka? I rented one and was impressed. On the other hand, it is the only true gravel bike I’ve ridden so I may not be the best judge.
Ibis Hakka MX looks to be a great option based on reviews and specs. Threaded T47 BB; light, versatile frame... lower priced than the Open UP. ENVE fork, fits tires well over 40mm, etc.
Old 01-29-20, 09:45 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Like has been said above, it would be good to know what you want to change. You have a variety of bikes in your stable, so you should know what you are looking for.

There are plenty of gravel bikes that lean towards the road/CX side of things. It sounds like this might work for you if it was lighter, carbon, and had more stack (more upright).

The first question I ask myself is what size tires do I want – as that will quickly eliminate a lot of bikes. With your diversity of bikes and “gravel only” desire you may want something that can handle 50mm 650b tires as an option. Your choice.

Gravely gravel bikes tend to be longer, lower, slacker than your Masi. Is that what you want? That is going to benefit you a lot going fast down hill on the loose stuff at the expense of agility on pavement. So, do you like the handling of your bike, or do you want something more stable?

1x doesn’t really offer any advantage over a 2x for gravel (It originally existed to make it easier to design full suspension bikes). Its fine if you are doing a lot of solo riding; many find it limiting when doing fast group rides and/or if you really care about both gear range and cadence (many people don’t).

If you “like your bike” some of the roadish gravel bikes above would be a lot of fun. If you want something more stable for long days in the saddle or fast downhills, a more gravelly gravel bike could make you happy.

Your choice.

Shopping is fun!
Old 02-04-20, 10:01 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
OPEN U.P. or OPEN U.P.P.E.R.
Yes!! This is what I am riding now (U.P.) Also a and I love it. Jamis Renegade C2 or C1 if you are on a budget. Or the Bombtrack Hook EXT-C for something a little different with 650b wheels stock.
Old 02-04-20, 10:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Like has been said above, it would be good to know what you want to change. You have a variety of bikes in your stable, so you should know what you are looking for.

There are plenty of gravel bikes that lean towards the road/CX side of things. It sounds like this might work for you if it was lighter, carbon, and had more stack (more upright).

The first question I ask myself is what size tires do I want – as that will quickly eliminate a lot of bikes. With your diversity of bikes and “gravel only” desire you may want something that can handle 50mm 650b tires as an option. Your choice.

Gravely gravel bikes tend to be longer, lower, slacker than your Masi. Is that what you want? That is going to benefit you a lot going fast down hill on the loose stuff at the expense of agility on pavement. So, do you like the handling of your bike, or do you want something more stable?

1x doesn’t really offer any advantage over a 2x for gravel (It originally existed to make it easier to design full suspension bikes). Its fine if you are doing a lot of solo riding; many find it limiting when doing fast group rides and/or if you really care about both gear range and cadence (many people don’t).

If you “like your bike” some of the roadish gravel bikes above would be a lot of fun. If you want something more stable for long days in the saddle or fast downhills, a more gravelly gravel bike could make you happy.

Your choice.

Shopping is fun!
Yeah, your comments touch on a lot of issues I've thought about. For some routes in this parts, long sandy patches really point to needing a wider tire. I don't know if I"d ever go to 50 or 60 mm, but I wouldn't buy a bike that couldn't comfortably take 40s. Also, I have been thinking about what you call "gravelly" bikes - i.e., longer/lower/slacker. I've done gravel centuries on the Masi, but for longer rides, I think that the comfort issues become more important. Also, many of the new bikes have various suspension solutions in the seat post or elsewhere that are interesting.

I've got plans to test ride a Warbird and a Topstone soon. Several people here have talked about the OPEN bikes, and they seem really interesting, but because they only sell framesets and everything is a custom build, it seems to be more of a bike for people who already know exactly what geometry is going to work for them.
Old 02-05-20, 08:45 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yeah, your comments touch on a lot of issues I've thought about. For some routes in this parts, long sandy patches really point to needing a wider tire. I don't know if I"d ever go to 50 or 60 mm, but I wouldn't buy a bike that couldn't comfortably take 40s. Also, I have been thinking about what you call "gravelly" bikes - i.e., longer/lower/slacker. I've done gravel centuries on the Masi, but for longer rides, I think that the comfort issues become more important. Also, many of the new bikes have various suspension solutions in the seat post or elsewhere that are interesting.

I've got plans to test ride a Warbird and a Topstone soon. Several people here have talked about the OPEN bikes, and they seem really interesting, but because they only sell framesets and everything is a custom build, it seems to be more of a bike for people who already know exactly what geometry is going to work for them.
Yep, comfort is important - to me that means a comfortable fit with a little more stack, and of course some cush in the seat and the right tires.

The long/low/slack (mtb theme) seems to matter most for downhills or high speed carving where the opposite will give you more low speed handling agility.

The warbird could tick your boxes (I haven't ridden a topstone). The UP was at the top of my list, but like you said...
I got a "budget" Open UP - I ended up with a Canyon CX bike (inflite) which has very similar geometry to the UP, but a complete 16-17lb bike cost the same as a UP bare frame. Plus, 30 day return guarantee. But with a bike that aggressive, 4 hours on gravel is about enough for me (low stack). I was shocked at how cush the bike road - I keep checking the air in my rear tire the first weeks I bought it, it was so smooth. For rougher/softer stuff I run 50mm up front, 40mm in the rear. Gives me extra flotation and steering in soft stuff, and a little more trail for stability.

For you, I'd also look into a 9er RDO (hard to get a test ride on one unless you know someone who has one). That is one sweet bike if you want a fast comfortable endurance bike.
Old 02-06-20, 02:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I've got plans to test ride a Warbird and a Topstone soon.
I'm assuming you're referring to the carbon Topstone?
Old 02-06-20, 05:14 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by shoota
I'm assuming you're referring to the carbon Topstone?
yup
Old 02-06-20, 07:41 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
https://www.velonews.com/2020/02/cul...or-2020_504530
Old 02-07-20, 04:38 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I'm surprised there has been no mention of the Santa Cruz Stigmata. I think it meets your specs. Can't bet the SC build quality and warranty. I have a 2nd gen and love it. Similar to the Hakka that was mentioned or Open UPPER.

I'll also mention the Allied Cycle Works ABLE. Allied is an Arkansas based company and all their materials are US sourced. I've seen their bikes here around NWA and they're art on wheels.
Old 02-08-20, 09:42 PM
MinnMan

I test rode a Warbird and a Topstone Carbon today. I'm thinking that the saddle set back on the Topstone wasn't right, because I just had a hard time getting power to the pedals. I did like how it smoothed out shocks from the road, though. I loved the Warbird. I'll go back and do the rides again, paying closer attention to the saddle placement. I also have plans to test ride a Checkpoint.
Old 02-09-20, 07:11 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
MinnMan if the shop does bike fits, negotiate one in if your purchase doesn't come with one already.
Old 02-09-20, 10:48 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
+1
Mountain bike and road bike are hanging in the garage, desperately waiting for me to grab them for a ride...
Old 02-11-20, 12:07 AM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A lot of great recommendations, I would second the Bombtrack Hook ext c since I have one. I did notice know one mentioned the Bearclaw Thunderhawk. That's my dream bike right there.
Old 02-11-20, 10:17 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
As basic advice here, there's a LOT of options on the market now. Being a MN guy, I don't think you need to go full 50c / 2" tire (Open ; Rodeo) unless you want to go full rocky/muddy adventure. 43c tires are good for most everything else except washboard roads. That tire sizes impacts your basic options, but what gearing you can run (1x only? Maximum chain ring size?). Is this going to be a travel bike? If it needs to fit into a case, does it have fully internal cable runs (Can you take the bars stem off? With bars to rear internal you can't really). Are you going to run 28c road tires on it (then some of the 650b bikes might be out).

I'd steer you toward something that has more standard bits than non-standard and more mounts than 'race', so you can adapt the bike and being non-race doesn't cost much. Also note that being high-end here doesn't buy much relative to a road bike/mtb bike; fat tires on flat roads fix a lot, you don't need much aero, most of those frame tricks don't do much (Iso-bendy things) with 40psi tires, and there's not much weight to be saved. This is also a good genre to buy a Ti frameset if that's your jazz.
On the standards thing, note the Checkpoint SL has that seatmast , which I dislike on mine (ride quality, thigh rub, bike travel case fit, saddle clamp) - the ALR frame might be a better buy for example. On the 'non-race' features, after doing some rides I realized how important the 3rd and 4th bottle mounts are when you start getting looking for places to go. I'd spend most of your money on non-frame things and the nicer looking paint job - that will get dinged.

Have fun shopping!
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 02-11-20, 12:49 PM
MinnMan

There are soooo many options....

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Warbird. Now thinking about just how much coin I want to drop. It seems that going up a level in component and wheel build is $1k/1lb. (20.5 lb warbird= $3k, 19.5 lb=$4k, 18.5 lb =$5k). It's true that I got into this in part because my existing bike is really heavy, but I'm leaning towards the ~$3k build (GRX 600). Probably.
Old 02-12-20, 08:53 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Warbird. Now thinking about just how much coin I want to drop. It seems that going up a level in component and wheel build is $1k/1lb. (20.5 lb warbird= $3k, 19.5 lb=$4k, 18.5 lb =$5k). It's true that I got into this in part because my existing bike is really heavy, but I'm leaning towards the ~$3k build (GRX 600). Probably.
The Warbird does look like a really nice bike. Do you know the limit on tire width without fenders?
Old 02-12-20, 09:35 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by gevad
The Warbird does look like a really nice bike. Do you know the limit on tire width without fenders?
They say up to 45 without fenders and 38 with fenders, and significantly more if you use 650 C rims
Old 02-12-20, 09:59 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They say up to 45 without fenders and 38 with fenders, and significantly more if you use 650 C rims
Thanks!
Old 02-12-20, 12:38 PM
chas58

I hear ya. That is one reason I went Canyon. About $3K for 17.4lbs (its about 16.4 with my road wheels/tires). That and it is friggen fast and comfortable.
Old 02-12-20, 01:24 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by chas58
I hear ya. That is one reason I went Canyon. About $3K for 17.4lbs (its about 16.4 with my road wheels/tires). That and it is friggen fast and comfortable.
Yeah, that's what I thought - that the Canyon would be the way to go. But the Canyon Grail is more or less sold out indefinitely in most builds in my size.
Old 02-13-20, 08:19 AM
chas58

Oops, yeah - that would be a problem.
Old 02-13-20, 08:59 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by avrilboazmoss
Seen this one and the reply they received from the manufacturer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX98HXQz10
Addressing the guy who made the video:
OMG. Get a life.

And learn how to pronounce "Lynskey"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.