Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Much Damage Does Canyon Do To LBS's?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Much Damage Does Canyon Do To LBS's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 04:05 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Yes. Absolutely. I have no idea where the split of profits is between LBS and mfr. on a $10K bike, as I say. No idea whatsoever. But if you are correct about all this, then this model that Canyon is employing is a real potential threat to those big mfrs. As you say, why would someone pay $6K for a perhaps quite similar bike they can get for $4K? Again, I cannot comment on all this current enthusiasm for claimed Canyon quality, as I do not own one. Not sure if that is valid and accurate or not. I personally tend to trust companies that have longer track records. But that's just me and I am not suggesting anyone needs to share that view. Perhaps, the enthusiasm is mostly about pricing. Whatever. but this is the basic reason for the post.
I just went to the Trek Germany website and Canyon Germany website.

Trek Domane SL 7: Ultegra Di2, 8.84kg. EUR 5.6k
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2: Ultegra Di2, 7.5kg. EUR 3.3k

Now the wheelset is better on the Domane but you could just upgrade if you wanted to, for EUR 1300 and still be EUR 1k cheaper for a bike that weighs 1.3kg less (maybe more less if your upgraded wheelset weighs less than the standard) and has the same components (what's left after drive system, brakes and wheelset, the rest is more or less 'the bike', maybe saddle).

Or you could get the Canyon with the better wheelset for EUR 4k, still 1.6k less:

Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 Aero which weighs 7.35kg

And I am pretty sure the latter Canyon is an overall better bike, but maybe I am biased the other way. So, you would seriously fork out EUR 1.6k more for a Trek name, despite same components and a frame that is 1.5kg heavier? Really?

Regarding the "longer track record" - Canyon has been around almost 20 years. They have a serious track record in that time, Jan Frodeno uses their TT bikes for one.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 04-10-20, 04:10 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Trek Domane SL 7: Ultegra Di2, 8.84kg. EUR 5.6k
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2: Ultegra Di2, 7.5kg. EUR 3.3k
This is a horrible comparison, model-wise.The Domane is Trek endurance/cobbles bike, not an all-arounder. An Emonda would be more appropriate.
Old 04-10-20, 04:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
The Aeroad looks nice. But the only Shimano Di2 that comes up when I look is the Aeroad CF SLX Disc 9.0 Di2. $7500 is a good price for R9170, but I'd be just as happy with R8070. Also, it's way too windy and especially gusty around here for those deep rims, and not really flat enough to really enjoy them even on the rare still day. I ride out my front door and can't really see hauling a bike for an hour or two to go for a ride. So those would need replacing. On a bike like this I'd want a dual side PM crankset, so off with the R9000 and on with a Quarg or something. Saddle - swap. Retape the bars. GP 5000TL instead of whatever rim protecting rubber they put on there (probably cheaper than putting the wheels in bags). Not sure what out front computer mount is compatible with those bars. Still a good deal, just not as spectacular once it's turned into the bike I really want.
Old 04-10-20, 05:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Do you think that is commonplace? Is it?
I don't know how common it is but it happens. My ex wife got a Trek which was too big. The shop had it on the floor and she didn't know any better. After we met I put a 30mm stem on it.
I've seen it with other riders, too.
Old 04-10-20, 05:16 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is a horrible comparison, model-wise.The Domane is Trek endurance/cobbles bike, not an all-arounder. An Emonda would be more appropriate.
Then take the same Canyon bike from the Endurance range, also 4k, 250g heavier, otherwise same quality of components as the Ultimate.

The Emonda range seems to be a much better value for money than Domane. The Emonda SL 7 Disc, is EUR 750 cheaper than the Domane, more than 1kg lighter with same components as far as I can tell (same wheel set and drive system). Is there a reason for this?

I mean you can just look at the flagship models:

Madone SLR 9 Disc eTap (8.0kg) - EUR 12.6k vs. Aeroad CF SLX Disc 9.0 ETAP (7.3kg) - EUR 7.8k

Émonda SLR 9 Disc eTap (6.7kg) - EUR 10.6k vs Ultimate CF Evo Disc 10.0 SL (6.0kg) - EUR 8.0k

Domane SLR 9 eTap (8.2kg) - EUR 11.2k vs Endurace CF SLX Disc 9.0 ETAP (7.2kg) - EUR 7.2k

No comparison whatsoever. In fact, to get down to the 7.2k, you would need to get the Domane SLR 7 (closest bike in that price range at EUR 7.0k). The Canyon has Etap vs Ultegra Di2 on the Trek. Not to mention that Domane weighs 8.5kg compared to 7.2kg. Unless you are saying Trek crushes Canyon on aerodynamic performance, there's just no comparison.

Last edited by ZHVelo; 04-10-20 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 05:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I think there's two predominant classes of LBS; the first is the full-service, customer-first type deal. The other has huge inventory at slightly lower prices, with a profusion of entry level bikes.
In my experience the inventory difference is more subtle, but for sure I get more customer service for the money from the customer-first type place. In other words, there's a huge disparity in the value prop of LBSes even when they pass on the same upcharge. I don't know if that variability comes from a conscious calculation of long-term customer value or just bad business sense.

Now that I think about it, I've had a much better overall experience when buying gear at a number of LBSes than I have buying full bikes or getting maintenance. Maybe that suggests what LBSes actually profit from the most? Bikes take up a lot of space and depreciate. Maintenance is time-consuming and there's a fixed limit to throughput, and at least the shops around here always have a queue during riding season.
Old 04-10-20, 05:31 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Then take the same Canyon bike from the Endurance range, also 4k, 250g heavier, otherwise same quality of components as the Ultimate.

The Emonda range seems to be a much better value for money than Domane. The Emonda SL 7 Disc, is EUR 750 cheaper than the Domane, more than 1kg lighter with same components as far as I can tell (same wheel set and drive system). Is there a reason for this?
The Domane just went through a total redesign and has all sorts of whiz-bang features which is why it’s more expensive. The Emonda hasn’t really been touched in years and is next to be refreshed. Trek will probably reveal it as a 2021 model from what I have heard. The emonda was designed to be the light weight race bike which is why it’s lighter than the Domane. As far as value goes, I still think the Domane is a better value IMO even though it costs more. Ability to run bigger tires, T47 BB, iso speed decouplers, etc.
Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 04-10-20, 05:35 PM
WhyFi

Is there a reason for this?
It's a more complicated bike built for a different purpose.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-10-20, 05:47 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Saddle - swap. Retape the bars. GP 5000TL instead of whatever rim protecting rubber they put on there (probably cheaper than putting the wheels in bags).
canyon is actually pretty good about not putting junk tires as standard. The tires on that aeroad are Conti force/attack and many other canyon bikes ship with gp4000 or gp5000
Sure if you want tubeless, that's not tubeless.... But better than what most bikes come with
​​​​
Old 04-10-20, 05:53 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

My Inflite was set up tubed but came with tubeless rim tape on the rims and a pair of tubeless valves. I wasn't expecting that, so was pleasantly surprised.

It also came with a big box containing a single item rattling around inside that I didn't expect- a tiny bell.
Old 04-10-20, 07:21 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
You know the saying, pictures or it didn’t happen.

Old 04-10-20, 07:24 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
mantis

Hot.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 04-10-20, 07:34 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mantis
You know the saying, pictures or it didn’t happen.

So is this the bike that seypat was talking about? -

Originally Posted by seypat
The one in my neighborhood was a medium 2 tone blue. Darker on the back.
Old 04-10-20, 07:34 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
The internet is killing LBS's more than any one company is.
Can you expand on that comment? Most of the major bike manufacturers will not allow their products to be sold over the internet. I don't save hardly anything when I buy parts over the internet, although sometimes there is a better selection. I don't see the internet killing the LBS.
Old 04-10-20, 07:44 PM
surak

Originally Posted by Robert A
Can you expand on that comment? Most of the major bike manufacturers will not allow their products to be sold over the internet. I don't save hardly anything when I buy parts over the internet, although sometimes there is a better selection. I don't see the internet killing the LBS.
You aren't shopping around then. I regularly save 30-40% off on components from Merlin, Excel Sports Jenson, BikeTiresDirect, to name just a few.
Old 04-10-20, 08:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
There's less overhead in selling things online that selling things in a physical store, so the prices are usually lower.
Old 04-10-20, 08:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So is this the bike that seypat was talking about? -
I don't think so. It didn't have that thick, fairing like ST. Let me go look at the website. I should see more of it in the future. The subdivision is on the opposite side of a main road from mine.

Edit: It might be. I don't think it was an Aeroad. The bike I saw had daylight between the ST/rear tire.

Last edited by seypat; 04-10-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 09:06 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
They have plenty of bikes listed in their outlet section. A person might find a good deal there.
Old 04-10-20, 10:14 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Domane has ISO Speed, which - from accounts of everyone who has owned one - significantly smoothens the ride. Thats worth a premium. In fact, the Domane leads my list of candidates for a training/light gravel bike for that very reason.

Also, bikes are more than just a generic frame with some components on them. The fact that we are all not riding Canyon - despite them being around for 10+ years - is an indication that just being cheaper isnt going to eliminate everyone else.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-11-20, 12:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Never heard of Canyon Bikes until this thread. Must be behind the curve. Or maybe Canyon is really a tiny part of the bike world.
I've never heard of them either and that is saying something because I keep my ear to the ground where bikes are concerned. But mail order bikes are nothing new. More to the point, what LBS does not now also have a robust online presence ready to ship most things faster than Amazon can in addition to the usual dealer functions and, of course, service*. The o.p. has to know that, so I'm calling BS on their 'concern' for the fate of LBS's everywhere ... wtf? The Occam's Razor Postulate has never let me down yet: this thread is actually an advert for Canyon Bikes, precisely because they are no threat to an established LBS. Someone with an agenda would like to change that.
*I don't usually need much in the way of service since I do most of my own work but more and more its a bike co-op that has saved the day when the LBS says they'll look at the bike in 2 months. There has never been a time when a co-op tech didn't just get to work on the problem right then and there.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 04-11-20, 12:53 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The Occam's Razor Postulate has never let me down yet: this thread is actually an advert for Canyon Bikes, precisely because they are no threat to an established LBS.
I don’t think that’s how Occam’s Razor works...
Old 04-11-20, 02:51 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I am actually surprised by how many people have NOT heard of Canyon. Really?

(No concealed snark - i really AM surprised. I've always thought of them as a fairly well known brand)
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-11-20, 04:50 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Never heard of Canyon Bikes until this thread.
Really? People seem to love-love-love Canyon here on BF. If you read threads here over the past few years you’ve likely seen it mentioned more than a few times.

Back in the states I knew of one guy with a Canyon, but that was about 20 months ago and I don’t think they’ve been in the US that long.

I see a few more here in the UK but still nowhere near the big manufacturers for sure.
Old 04-11-20, 05:42 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
In the last 30 days I have bought two bikes from Canyon. The nearest Trek dealer couldn’t touch what we wanted price-wise, so I had to spend my money where it got me what I wanted. I *REALLY* wanted a 2020 carbon Domane, but the Trek pricing is just silly when you compare equivalent bikes. Trek priced themselves out of two sales. We were looking at a Checkpoint for my wife. The Canyon Inflite blows it away at the same price point. The local shop still gets my money for certain things, like sale jerseys and lube, chains, occasional new gels to try out, etc. My “local” is 35 miles from home.
So I'm another guy that obsessed over Canyon. Well, Canyon/Orbea/Scott actually. All way cheaper than Trek and yet...they weren't what I TRULY wanted.

No disrespect, but the reason Trek can do this is because they aren't hurting for sales. Like you, I was actually outraged by Trek's insane pricing. I emailed them to tell them as much. The response was pretty much what you already know. They do it because they can. They look at Specialized for a basic guide for how they should price their bikes (based on the response I received), not Canyon or any other "direct to consumer" brands. So as long as the sales numbers don't reflect a trend that they don't like, they're not going to change it because of 2 lost sales. Most people looking at full carbon bikes in the $5,000 - $10,000 range are probably huge cycling fans (or just love spending money) and probably have a bit of team spirit in them as well. That goes far for brand loyalty. For instance, I just didn't appreciate the lack of customer support and friendliness from Specialized when I went to their stores (and I went to a few)...which just turned me off to their bikes. I've loved the Madone for a while, and when the new Domane came out looking 85% Madone with a less aggressive riding profile, new IsoSpeed, etc....I had to have one. I could have bought two similarly equipped bikes from various other manufacturers, but I mean, people also buy Ferrari's when Corvettes are just as fast. Seems dumb to waste the extra money, but nobody that owns a Ferrari is going to care, and Ferrari isn't going to lower their prices because someone came into their store wanting them to price-match a Corvette. Maybe a bit of a bad comparison, because Trek is pretty much a run-of-the-mill bike, not some prestigious name...but still, they can get away with it, so marketing and brand loyalty have to be playing a part there.

Some of it is just what you want and how you view the bike you're riding. My 2020 Domane SLR is gorgeous and is a blast to ride. If I want a 2nd bike down the road, I'll probably end up with a Canyon.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 04-11-20 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 04-11-20, 07:42 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I only bought one of my four bikes(my first) from a bike shop.

Online saves me money for bike stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.