Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

What is the best shoe for Peloton? Please Help

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 11:36 AM
Andrew Sullivan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last week my bike arrived. Looking to buy 2 pair of shoes. Many of us get confused about it, So as I. Whatever, Could somebody suggest any?

Update: After a lot of research..I found these article helpful for choosing best shoes for Peloton bike and best peloton compatible shoes This is an amazing community. Cheers Guys!

Last edited by Andrew Sullivan; 01-29-24 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-13-20, 11:53 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
SPD compatible pedals and shoe and its hard to go wrong with Sidi brand shoes - they have a shoe for most budgets

SPD because if you dismount to go top off the water bottle, the recessed cleat of a SPD and a mountain bike shoe is nice to have
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-13-20, 12:01 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Just go try some on at your LBS. I think they use look cleats, might be wrong on that. A buddy and his wife have a peloton and they purchased the peloton house brand shoes, they hate them. They now wear bont shoes.
Old 04-13-20, 01:14 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Nope.

I would never recommend a specific shoe, or brand of shoe, for anyone. Feet are too idiosyncratic. What works wonderfully for me may cripple you.

Do as sdmc530 suggests and go to an LBS that you trust. Even if you pay more for the first pair, it will be worth it in the long run. You can always get future pairs off of the internet, once you know what works for you.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-13-20, 01:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
SPD compatible pedals and shoe and its hard to go wrong with Sidi brand shoes - they have a shoe for most budgets

SPD because if you dismount to go top off the water bottle, the recessed cleat of a SPD and a mountain bike shoe is nice to have
Pretty sure that Peloton comes with Look compatible pedals, so unless the OP also wants to swap out the pedals, he/she should buy 3-hole road shoes.
Old 04-13-20, 02:38 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Peloton pedals are "Look Delta compatible" which means "3 hole" road-type pedals. - not Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo. So the OP needs to get three hole road type shoes. I agree with the others who say go to a local store and try on shoes in your price range and get the ones that fit best. If you order online, be ready to buy a couple of sizes in a couple of brands (in other words, 4 pair). Because, different brands fit different shaped feet better and in some brands you might be a different size than others.

That said, if I were to get one of these things, I'd just buy a set of pedals compatible with the shoes and cleats I already have (Shimano SPD MTB cleats or Time RXS road pedals) Therefore, I'd prefer one without pedals, but I don't know if i's available. If I didn't have shoes and cleats alreay, I'd put some mountain bike type pedals on it. You can get very inexpensive ones (i.e. Wellgo) that work perfectly well. No need to get expensive light weight ones since there is no meaningful weight advantage and being indoors, durability is not likely to ever be a factor (although my Wellgo pedals have been as durable as can be).

Mountain bike pedals will be much better for walkng around the house. Although maybe the Delta cleats that seem standard with the Peloton have rubber grips on them to make walking OK. AND, you're not likely to be walking far. If they don't, it's doubly stupid for Peloton to use those pedals and cleats because Keo, Shimano and Time cleats are all walkable with rubber contact points.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-13-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 03:59 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Before you change pedals on the Peloton, confirm it does not void warranty.
Likes For pinsonp2:
Old 04-14-20, 08:54 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by pinsonp2
Before you change pedals on the Peloton, confirm it does not void warranty.
I just read the warranty online they say nothing about that it would. they only cover the pedals for 12 months anyways from breakage so I guess if it were me, my paranoid self I would use them through the first set of cleats then swap them out. That is about 12-16 months for me.

but I don't think it would void the warranty and they give specific directions on how to change them with other pedals.
Old 04-14-20, 09:11 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Peloton Warranty

This review, approximately at minute 12, is where I got this info. Enjoy your new Peloton,
Old 04-15-20, 02:57 PM
Andrew Sullivan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys!
Old 04-15-20, 03:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)