Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buying old bikes during a pandemic

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Are you buying or selling old bikes locally
Yes
74.63%
No way
25.37%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Buying old bikes during a pandemic

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 10:15 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
I'm using this time to restore what I have which means buying tires, tubes, bar tape etc from bike shops online. I hope that this crisis will help me to be satisfied with what I have. That may not happen, but it's nice to dream...
Old 04-21-20, 12:19 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
I just listed for sale locally a couple bikes I had finished for weeks, but I kept putting off the photography/listing part of it. The post-wrenching, downstream side of flipping isn't a lot of fun for me anymore. I keep meaning to sell some parts on ebay. I've bought hundreds of items there, but never sold yet.
Old 04-21-20, 12:34 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I'm not buying/selling bikes at the moment for reasons unrelated to the pandemic, but I wouldn't have any problem doing so since there are ways of making transactions happen without significant risk of transmitting the virus. As others have said I'm much more concerned about the risk of bringing the virus home from the grocery store.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 04-21-20, 09:13 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Neither poll option seems to fit my perspective perfectly. I had been thinking of ordering a bicycle from Hilary Stone, but priorities here shifted a bit. That could change, but I have several projects I really should wrap up first - and for me that could take months... or years. There's so much to do in a compressed time-frame with the house we got last year. That said, if a decent mixte were to show up locally, I'd jump on it, as this would let the bike that's on the trainer get donated, and would make getting on and off the trainer a whole lot easier - which would suit my wife.
Old 04-21-20, 09:30 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
biggest change for me is not hitting the scrap yard every morning. Untold wealth is getting crushed as we speak.
Old 04-21-20, 09:58 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Omg, I have been selling like no tomorrow. Multiple hits on almost all of the adds, even more weird nobody has negotiated for lower prices. Repeat customers calling, a used bike store even put an offering on one of the adds. In the last month I sold 6 bikes, two frames and some parts out of my stash. I even sold a modern downhill MTB for my sis in-law. The outbreak was happening just as I decided to purge the garage of clunky junkers. Not really junkers just the none fitting.

Now the void in garage is like a vacuum waiting for my bike haunts it open.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-21-20, 11:16 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I bought a mtb frame from a local flipper last week who seems to have a routine. I've bought a number of things from him over the years, and we have a cordial relationship.
He peeked from the house-access door to his attached garage while I looked the frame over. When I was satisfied, he had me slip the cash under a bucket on the garage floor that was filled with hot soapy water.
When I had retreated to a safe distance, he gingerly grabbed the cash with a rubber-gloved hand, then carefully wiped it down on both sides with a dripping sponge from the bucket.
Present-day money laundering, I guess.
Old 04-21-20, 12:02 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 554 Posts
I really am taking this whole thing seriously. I wear a mask and gloves when I go out, and go out as little as possible.

That said, the other day, I sold a bike for the first time in years. It started with the COVID workspace challenge. After clearing out my garage/workshop, I really wanted to free up a hook in the garage. I was basically at max capacity, and had this over-sized Univega in the garage that never got used. The buyer met me at a nearby corner next to a bike path. We were both masked and both kept our distance. I'll add that I've sold about a dozen bikes on craigslist, and I have never had someone come check out a bike and not end up buying it on the spot (except one case where I had to talk a nice lady out of buying a wrong-sized bike). I do a good job fixing up the bikes and try not to overprice. So, it's not as if I've had a bunch of strangers coming over.

The other thing is that, after clearing out my workshop, I have far too many parts and wheels, and not enough frames on which to hang said parts and wheels. And now that I have a spare hook in my garage, I am in the market for a new (used) frame. N-1+1.

Last edited by gaucho777; 04-21-20 at 12:22 PM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 04-21-20, 12:10 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
Ohh yea... i already took a bike and a lot of parts and im about to complete them both
Old 04-21-20, 12:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For the right deal on bikes and parts, sure. My immune system has been compromised for years so I'm always cautious. But I'm not gonna live like a bubble boy.

It's pretty easy to take reasonable precautions. I already had a box of surgical masks and gloves anyway so I'm using those. I had enough to give away a few to the apartment complex maintenance guys. They're almost my age and they're in and out of apartments for older folks every day. It's a worthwhile donation for everybody's sake.

I've always been a handwasher. Not obsessive, but enough that my skin is annoyed at me over the handwashing. I trained as a Navy Hospital Corpsman, operating room tech and did hemodialysis, so I was indoctrinated in this stuff from my teens. I'm always conscious of it.

I use a Conair clothing steam cleaner (mine is smaller and lighter than this model) on my masks. Best way to disinfect items that cannot be conventionally washed or heated in an oven, microwave, etc. The steamer wand has very low flow, nothing at all like a hair blowdryer, and gets extremely hot at the tip, but is safe from even a few inches away. Perfect for reusing paper surgical masks or those increasingly popular homemade fabric masks.

I'm not sure I'd even trust cash from the ATM machine, let alone somebody's pocket. I withdrew emergency cash back in February when it appeared obvious the coronavirus would hit the US. So it predated the problem. But I can use the steamer to disinfect money without any damage.

Ditto an entire bicycle if necessary, although just cleaning the bike with hot water and Dawn or Palmolive soap would kill the virus.

The virus won't penetrate the skin so I wouldn't worry about handling stuff. Just keep the hands away from the face and orifices until we have a change to wash our hands. The reason I wear latex gloves in public is to remind myself to keep my hands away from my face. That's all. It's just a reminder. Heck, sometimes I wash and reuse the gloves for bike stuff, like chain maintenance, when I get home. Hot water and antiseptic Palmolive or Dawn will work on latex even better than on bare hands -- no nooks or crannies or fingernail beds to hide in.

One of my compromises was to discontinue most group rides starting back in autumn 2019 when I first noticed my chronic respiratory inflammation getting worse. But I wasn't concerned about infection. I'm just a geyser of snot when I ride in cool and cold weather and don't want to gross out my friends, so I avoid group rides during peak allergy, cold/flu seasons. Which, unfortunately, has been for most of the past six months here.

During my Sunday ride I saw a friend a few hundred yards ahead and nearly caught up with him, but decided to hang back. Later he messaged me saying he saw me but was avoiding me because he's also suffering the snot-geyser allergies. I noticed he seemed to pick up speed every time I got within 50 yards, and I finally realized he was trying to maintain distance, so I eased back to avoid the accordion train chugging effect.

A couple of younger friends did their monthly bulk grocery buying thing last weekend and picked up some stuff for me as well. My apartment complex is all seniors and disabled folks (at 62 I'm the baby of the bunch) and has prohibited all unnecessary visitors from entering the building (medical and emergency only, no family or friends). My friends dropped off the goodies in boxes. They wore masks. I forgot mine so we stayed about 10 feet apart outside and chatted for about 15 minutes.

It's a lot easier to disinfect bike stuff than groceries. Every time I buy groceries I wonder "Who's handled these bananas before me? Or sneezed or talked over them? How do I wash bananas?"
Old 04-21-20, 12:47 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Selling or buying a bike locally is safer than going to the grocery store.

At the store.....you cannot control the crowds

Meeting at an empty parking lot, and being smart, like others above have indicated is WAY more safer.

Plus you are outside.

I am not making " light" of this virus. I am as cautious/nervous as anyone. The Grocery store is the place where I have the most concern.....

Most people are smart. They keep their distance and wear a mask.

But not ALL do.

Be/stay safe my friends.......
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 04-21-20, 01:52 PM
Tautatis

Bikes: Miyata 912|Raleigh Super Course & MK II|Trek 830(Original Owner)/610/520/510/420/310|Jamis Coda 2011|Fuji Monterrey & Tourer|Shogun CroMo 500 & 600|1987 Bianchi Sport SX & Ltd|Mossberg VM-1, 1980 Mercian Olympic| Takara Olympic| Bridgestone RB-2|

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
This is a very informative exchange - it's clear that there is a common concern here - the grocery store (as a reference point could be anywhere where the public has to access for essentials). As Bikemike73 says ".....you cannot control the crowds". The frequency of customers at the grocery store - a critical place for getting our essential supplies increases the probability of one catching the virus. In addition, a terrifying point was raised by a member in this exchange wondering "who and how many have touched or sneezed" at your banana or the cheese packet. As a public service in an effort to control the spread of covid-19, the grocery store makes it harder to contact tracing to either inform or be informed by about the covid-19 status. If you offer a bike for sale, it is likely that you will have an e-mail or phone number of the client and if you are the buyer, of the seller.

Let's hope that this terror will end and will end with minimal loss of lives - although at 40,000+ that's not minimal loss. This could have been prevented if someone in the white house at the end of Penn Ave. would have taken this seriously! Note: this is not a political statement, just a public health comment on the government mandate to address public health security for its citizens.
Old 04-21-20, 03:35 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
I've done four transactions during this time frame, all sales. 3 went great. I had my mask and gloves on, handed the bike over, they test road, and then handed cash to me. Plenty of distance, no direct contact. The fourth was for a electric scooter I had, guy had no sense of distance, manhandled the box I had it in, and did come in contact with me several times.

None of who I dealt with had, masks or gloves though, just me. I'm done for now, scooter guy spooked me, the virus isn't bad in my town for now, luckily, but they want to open everything up too soon and I fear it will get bad again.
Old 04-21-20, 03:40 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I really am taking this whole thing seriously. I wear a mask and gloves when I go out, and go out as little as possible.

That said, the other day, I sold a bike for the first time in years. It started with the COVID workspace challenge. After clearing out my garage/workshop, I really wanted to free up a hook in the garage. I was basically at max capacity, and had this over-sized Univega in the garage that never got used. The buyer met me at a nearby corner next to a bike path. We were both masked and both kept our distance. I'll add that I've sold about a dozen bikes on craigslist, and I have never had someone come check out a bike and not end up buying it on the spot (except one case where I had to talk a nice lady out of buying a wrong-sized bike). I do a good job fixing up the bikes and try not to overprice. So, it's not as if I've had a bunch of strangers coming over.

The other thing is that, after clearing out my workshop, I have far too many parts and wheels, and not enough frames on which to hang said parts and wheels. And now that I have a spare hook in my garage, I am in the market for a new (used) frame. N-1+1.
Great comment here, all the bikes I sold were flawless in the build, trued wheels, full tune, greased bearings, etc. One person who was trying to buy tried to complain about every small, minor detail and in the end decided that he really couldn't find anything and gave me full price.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 04-23-20, 11:32 AM
primo123

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen an increase in bikes on Facebook marketplace. In fact, I even made several post on marketplace and local marketplace pages for "looking for bikes you're purging during corona" got several responses. Mostly Walmart bikes, but i did pick these 4 up for $40. We kept our distance and I left money at the step. Now I have something to keep me busy.
Old 04-23-20, 08:57 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Craig’s list, can be such a blessing.........and a curse. I have a feeling it’s going to be a big buyers market in the not to distant future. It’s spring cleaning and now it’s offload to get some cash since so many are not working. Within the “older / vintage” category I’ve seen an uptick in my local. Some super high prices and others not wanting to spend a lot of time selling so selling for real cheap.

Craigs list could almost be a thread in its self. After a long time I somehow stumbled on the “ bundle duplicates” box on the left. How did I miss that for so long? Bypass many of the multiple postings. Talk about the fast lane.... I’ve found the word “rigid” , “vintage” are good search words. “ New posts today” is a separate search. If I want to see stumpjumpers, well.....”stumpjumper” or “stump jumper” or just through ,” specialized”. Many other words, “ diamondback”, ”hardrock”, “rockhopper” all need to be searched as 1word and 2 words. I forget offhand but there was a bike I saw that was being spelled wrong consistently so I started following that lead. However a poster posts is how you have to look. After awhile you pick up on who’s been trying to sell the same bike for the last 9 months or maybe it’s a scam? Then when you think you might have found something you might like, another comes on the radar, then another. Could be some super scores at some stupid prices.

oh Craig’s list......a blessing and a curse!
Old 04-23-20, 09:28 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I've bought and sold 2 frames locally, and also bought and sold some parts a few times.

No Problem..
Old 04-23-20, 10:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by tyler_fred
I voted No; but to be clear, if anyone wants to give me a 63cm Schwinn Tempo frameset or complete bike, I would make an exception.
I have an 87 schwinn prelude 63cm in light pink thats yours for the price of shipping if you want it.
pm me and I can send pics.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-26-20, 04:46 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by primo123
I've seen an increase in bikes on Facebook marketplace. In fact, I even made several post on marketplace and local marketplace pages for "looking for bikes you're purging during corona" got several responses. Mostly Walmart bikes, but i did pick these 4 up for $40. We kept our distance and I left money at the step. Now I have something to keep me busy.
$40 for all those??? Man. Pandemics should happen more often.
Old 04-26-20, 07:07 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Sold one & bought one during the last two weeks. Wore a mask, glove & , safety glasses. Put the money in a coffee can.

SOLD:

SOLD 1988 IRONMAN

BOUGHT 1987 IRONMAN
Old 04-27-20, 11:21 AM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I usually hit the local thrift stores that are still open. I can find vintage bikes on occasion.
Old 04-27-20, 02:18 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
you might find prices up.
since the lockdowns, i have been able to sell a few things on CL.
not bikes, but still they sold fast for what i was asking.

so that might dissuade you somewhat.

wle
Old 04-27-20, 02:49 PM
wbc4406

Bikes: '21 Litespeed Cherohala; '12 Felt Dispatch; '85 Fuji Club Sport; '86 Cannondale Chameleon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wrench on derelict bikes over the winter and bring them back to life - then post them on CL in the spring. I have experienced lots of quick sales this Corona spring - faster then typical IMO. All were physical distancing sales - people are reasonable about that. I'm in the Mpls area, which has a large bike culture and active CL.
One thing I've noticed; everyone's cash is as green as ever.