Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you record?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you record?

Old 04-05-20, 11:54 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
^silly fedex driver. their job is hard, but they're training is all about safety. too bad s/he acted in an unsafe manner.

hit a bird on mine yesterday. you can only hear, not see it. tried to fly through the front wheel. gues it looks clear when the spokes are moving so fast. at least it was likely an instant death.

i tried shooting without in in camera sharpness thinking i'd do it in postwork on adobe premiere elements, but their trial has a giant water mark. hard to compare which program exports better video when one has a giant water mark. and i am a loyal adobe customer. bought the full creative suite for my last job. used to have the full cloud creative suite until recently i downgraded to just photoshop/lightroom cloud package because i was not going enough complicated video (you only need full suite for video like editing scanned 8mm motion film). their loss. and maybe mine. but i'm sticking with imovie and will let the camera do the sharpening.
Old 04-05-20, 07:56 PM
VinceXE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the idea of recording if I had a camera that could be mounted to my bike but its not a priority for me to go out and drop money on something like a gopro so I can record my rides. It would be nice so I could get some nice scenery shots without having to get off of my bike/mess with my phone.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
/snip
What horn is that? I quite like the sound it makes.
Old 04-06-20, 08:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by VinceXE
I like the idea of recording if I had a camera that could be mounted to my bike but its not a priority for me to go out and drop money on something like a gopro so I can record my rides. It would be nice so I could get some nice scenery shots without having to get off of my bike/mess with my phone.

What horn is that? I quite like the sound it makes.
Delta AirZound
https://designbydelta.com/collection.../arizound-horn
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-06-20, 05:21 PM
VinceXE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Delta AirZound
Wow, that's exactly the kind of bike horn I've been looking for. Thank you very much!
Old 04-06-20, 08:41 PM
denada

if you live somewhere like nyc or chicago the city not chicagoland, it's like 28 days later at night. good footage. glad on on my bike and can outrun the zombies. sad, because they're sick people without resources to get help.
Old 04-07-20, 06:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by VinceXE
Wow, that's exactly the kind of bike horn I've been looking for. Thank you very much!
FWIW, I think I bought my first one in 1995. The basic design is unchanged, but over the years the "bottle" has changed. For a few years it was a metal canister, which now seems to be discontinued. I ordered one last year and a plastic bottle came. The metal canisters are a little bigger and heavier, but they work better in sub-freezing temps. I was able to connect an old cannister to a new horn. The plastic bottles yield about 20 seconds, or 20 toots between fillups, the metal cannisters 30 and 30.

The newest horn I bought makes accomodations for fatter handlebars.

The horns seem to last about 10 years. before the plastic begins to wear. YMMV
Old 04-09-20, 03:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
do I record? absolutely, why not?

Old 04-14-20, 05:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I don't record because...I'm not really sure why. I guess it's that I don't like gizmos. I don't like having more things to charge and maintain. I don't like uploading things to storage or taking time to review or edit footage. I would never watch anything that I recorded because even the thought of it bores me. Strange, because I have an electrical engineering degree and I started as a designer, creating really cool electronic things. Some of them were quite innovative for their era. I've enjoyed audio since I was a teen, and like music. But I don't download it or carry it on a phone or anything like that. Music is for the car (CDs or radio) or for home (streaming from free services, mostly). I just don't enjoy all of the manipulation, fiddling or gizmos. I'm old...
Old 04-14-20, 06:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
don't enjoy all of the manipulation, fiddling or gizmos
yeah it's challenging & annoiying to review what I take, edit & post. but I've always been a big hobby-head. I also have a job that other ppl would find annoying. guess it's my nature ...
Old 04-26-20, 04:02 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If you search for bicycle cameras in Youtube, all you'll get are demonstrations of bicycle races and tours. The only video devoted to bicycle safety is for the Cyclique Fly. But that costs really up there.
Old 04-26-20, 08:00 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, I do record for evidence in case of a crash, crime, traffic violation, etc.

In 2014 I was the victim of a hit-and-run, and my action cam recorded the crash. I was struck from behind by a pickup truck driver, but the camera was mounted under my handlebar, so the suspect was never identified nor apprehended.

The video is still on YouTube, and a local news agency shared some of it in their news report. The video was immediately useful for the police officer at the crash scene/crime scene and for his police report. The video evidence immensely aided my insurance claims, and all 3 claims adjusters made a point to praise the video. They all appreciated how clearly it demonstrated fault, supported my version of events, and exonerated me.

Another benefit to having that video record was that I was able to see what had happened to me, because my memory was blanked and fragmented for 20 minutes or so.

I now have a Sony HDR-AS100 helmet camera and a Xiaomi Yi Lite tail camera. I have used the Sony to record a traffic violation and license plate (at night with streetlights and my headlights for illumination) for a traffic complaint I filed with the local PD. I carry multiple spare batteries, and it is indeed time consuming to remove, recharge, and replace batteries, attach & remove all of the electronics, and transfer, store, and edit the video files, so I can understand the reluctance of others to deal with the added hassle and inconvenience.

The camera is attached to an adhesive clip secured with cable ties.
Likes For dragoonO1:
Old 04-27-20, 09:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Is that yellow bracket standard sony equipment, or was it 3d printed for the purpose?
Old 04-27-20, 04:29 PM
dragoonO1

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Is that yellow bracket standard sony equipment
Yes, it was included with the camera. There's a yellow spring clip with a 1/4" threaded screw that attaches to an included waterproof case and a black bracket with an adhesive pad which I secured by cable​​ ties. Pictured is another included adapter for standard 1/4" attachments that screws into the camera.

I'm aware of the potential risk(s) for helmet attachments.

Last edited by dragoonO1; 04-27-20 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 04:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
I just asked because the yellow looked out of place with the camera body, but I guess they tied it together with that thumbscrew knob
Old 04-28-20, 04:35 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I ordered a cam two days ago. Have wanted one for a long time, but was finally prompted to do it by close passes and harassment from the same vehicle and driver on two different days.
Old 05-14-20, 12:34 PM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I also have a gopro hero 4 and it puts out beautiful footage. I've had it for years and have always wanted to put together a montage of clips from my commute to/from work but haven't. I have complete lack of video editing skill/knowledge. Will have to peruse this thread to see if there are any good suggestions/tips.
Old 05-29-20, 06:04 PM
dragoonO1

Originally Posted by takozukuri
I have complete lack of video editing skill/knowledge. Will have to peruse this thread to see if there are any good suggestions/tips.
I would suggest starting at https://www.videohelp.com/software under the "video editors: basic, advanced/NLE, or h.264." There's also Linux & MacOS tools listed there too. You can find ratings scores, reviews, download links, and guides for the software.

My recommendation would be to use Shotcut. It's cross platform, powerful, free, and open source. It's been really easy to use and handles a wide variety of formats. There are video tutorials on the site which I found helpful.

https://www.shotcut.org/

Hitfilm Express is another free program, but I haven't used it. It's a bit of a hassle to set it up, but there are a lot of good tutorials for that software too.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/HitFilm

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express
Likes For dragoonO1:
Old 06-10-20, 08:25 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 167 Posts
I run two cameras, and if the commute is uneventful by my standards, I won't save the video, much less review it. It's funny how some events were much more frightening to watch on video, but didn't seem that way at the time in real life, and same goes vice versa.
Old 06-10-20, 12:11 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I record not every day but to show people what it's like to commute on a ebike. I haven't edited yet, but for new cyclist I think it encourages them to see other routes and the challenges. I was thinking of doing a winter one too. We will see. Kind of like the life and times of cycling. I have recorded my scooter commutes too. I hope that it shows people what life is like in Denver on a bicycle or scooter, and the challenges that we face in commuting on two wheels. I will start to use this helmet in the near future. https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Capt.../dp/B071J1XSC6
Old 06-11-20, 06:51 PM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I record not every day but to show people what it's like to commute on a ebike. I haven't edited yet, but for new cyclist I think it encourages them to see other routes and the challenges. I was thinking of doing a winter one too. We will see. Kind of like the life and times of cycling. I have recorded my scooter commutes too. I hope that it shows people what life is like in Denver on a bicycle or scooter, and the challenges that we face in commuting on two wheels. I will start to use this helmet in the near future. https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Capt.../dp/B071J1XSC6
You can get any helmet and add a mount. I have one that attaches with velcro straps. It's very secure, almost no movement at all, even on big bumps.
Old 06-12-20, 08:07 AM
sw909

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got knocked off in January, so since then yes I do record.
Old 06-15-20, 06:38 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Hit and run today killed at cyclist. The police is asking the public to identify the offender. I guess action cameras facing front and back of the bicycle would help in a case like this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...kham-1.5612299
Old 09-07-20, 07:41 AM
Retfor

and then theres the fun stuff you invariably end up recording:

Old 09-07-20, 09:34 AM
denada

^we live in different cities. about a week ago i got a shooting on my gopro. after, they started shooting at me (for being a witness i guess). about five shots fired total
Old 09-07-20, 07:44 PM
Retfor

Originally Posted by denada
^we live in different cities. about a week ago i got a shooting on my gopro. after, they started shooting at me (for being a witness i guess). about five shots fired total
thats just insane...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.