Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Bridge Across the Mississippi

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best Bridge Across the Mississippi

Old 05-19-20, 09:06 AM
JeffL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
McKinley Bridge

Originally Posted by stardognine
I kinda wish someone from St. Louis would chime in. There are actually several bridges there, it looked like, but I think I took one of the wrong ones. 🙄😉

And that’s hardly even a River, way up in Minnesota. 🤪 They have to travel South awhile, to get to be big rivers. 😁😉
I lived in the Metro East area of Illinois from 2012 to 2018, and often rode into St. Louis from Illinois. In my opinion the best crossing of the Mississippi in the area is over the McKinley Bridge at Venice, IL. There's a wide, separated bike/pedestrian lane which connects to the Riverfront Trail on the Missouri side. Venice is a small town, and a couple miles of low-traffic street riding through there connect you to Madison County trail system, which allows you to escape all the heavy traffic in the Metro East.

I prefer the McKinley Bridge to the Eads Bridge for a couple of reasons: The McKinley Bridge's separated bike/pedestrian line is wider (and in my experience, cleaner) than the one on the Eads. And riding through Venice is a lot more pleasant, IMHO, than riding in East St. Louis. The crime situation in East St. Louis is probably exaggerated, but I always felt better riding through Venice.
Old 05-19-20, 02:42 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I was really glad to be westbound out of Chester because it was mostly downhill! I suspect that bridge dates back to the WPA. Nice view from the middle of the river, but no place to stop to take a picture.
Yeah, it was probably tougher going eastbound as we were. We also were in the middle of a heat wave. It seemed like every newspaper we saw had a headline about record breaking heat. We sat in the AC and had milkshakes when we got to Chester. BTW, Chester "Home of Popeye" has a ton of Popeye related stuff for those who are interested. Pretty much everything there was Popeye themed.
Old 05-19-20, 03:14 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I prefer ferries whenever I can take them. The new bike bridge from Memphis to West Memphis is really nice. Not a scenic bridge, but nice to bike.

When I rode the Chester bridge, I "think" it had a metal decking but didn't effect me either way. That was in '82 so can't quite remember. I do remember that one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen was a life guard at the pool. I was only 17 but she was a stunner.

Tailwinds, John
Old 05-19-20, 04:22 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
When I rode the Chester bridge, I "think" it had a metal decking but didn't effect me either way. That was in '82 so can't quite remember. I do remember that one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen was a life guard at the pool. I was only 17 but she was a stunner.
I can't say for sure what the surface was when I was there, but do remember it being bad.
Old 05-20-20, 06:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
The new bike bridge from Memphis to West Memphis is really nice. Not a scenic bridge, but nice to bike.
The bridge has even got its own website: Big River Crossing
Old 05-20-20, 07:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I remember the bridge at Chester IL as being unpleasant...
That's the Mississippi River crossing of Adventure Cycling's TransAmerica, right?

Didn't the TransAm use the ferry @ Ste. Geneieve back in Bicentennial days? Ah, all so long ago now.

The big new cable stay @ Cape Girardeau is nice. Wide concrete shoulders.
Old 05-21-20, 04:39 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by tcs
That's the Mississippi River crossing of Adventure Cycling's TransAmerica, right?
Yes I think so. I am not entirely clear on whether we were following the primary ACA route or an alternate route at that time, but I think it was the regular route.
Didn't the TransAm use the ferry @ Ste. Geneieve back in Bicentennial days? Ah, all so long ago now.
I don't know about 1976 or today, but I think it is listed was an alternate route on our map in 2007.
Old 05-21-20, 09:57 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
For a number of years in the 1980s and 1990s the Ste. Genevieve ferry was not operating.
I suspect that they switched the route then.

Even when the ferry resumed - it was hit-or-miss for a while.
Ferries require subsidies and when the money goes - so does the ferry.
(Of course, bridges cost bazillions - - buy hey.)
Old 05-21-20, 01:43 PM
JeffL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
For a number of years in the 1980s and 1990s the Ste. Genevieve ferry was not operating.
I suspect that they switched the route then.

Even when the ferry resumed - it was hit-or-miss for a while.
Ferries require subsidies and when the money goes - so does the ferry.
(Of course, bridges cost bazillions - - buy hey.)
When we lived in Lebanon, IL, many times I wanted to ride down to Ste. Genevieve and back. Invariably, anytime conditions were otherwise favorable, and I had the time to do it, the ferry was closed. I never did get to ride across on it.