Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Somebody fill me in on this Joop Zoetemelk Raleigh

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 11:21 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

So, it's a Raleigh, who, in 1980, Joop was riding for, and won the Tour de French in 1980 (because, doping wasn't something they tested winners for then, apparently). But the creator of the video restoration, notes that the bicycle is 20-30 steel tubing, which seems to put this bicycle on par with a Grand Prix, right? Then he puts on a Zue$ front derailleur and shifters, a Huret Jubilee rear derailleur, and Modolo blacked-out brake levers w Modolo Speedy side-pulls? And Campag aero seatpost, maybe? Where does one need to live to be able to hang that jewelry on that level of frame?

I zoomed thru all the comments, and no one said anything about putting lipstick on a pig (unless they told him in a language other than American), like I might, because I can be a callous jerk sometimes. He told one person that the new parts were by request of the owner of the bicycle, but then in another response, told someone interested in purchasing the bicycle, that he didn't really have plans to sell. Maybe there was language translation disconnect somewhere.

Anyway.... I'd like to know the story behind the frame, because I've looked at a few 1979/80 catalogs, and I haven't been able to find the Joop model. I'm assuming a Dutch market only sorta thing, but info is nonexistent (on the interwebs at least), if that's the case. Let me know if you know, and thanks in advance.

PS... okay, I reread the comments, and one commentor is apparently in the same rowboat of callous jerks with me, because he DID use the "lipstick on a pig" analogy, precisely as I would, which probably went over the video creator/restorers head. So, one person out of 237 thought like me.

Last edited by uncle uncle; 05-22-20 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 11:36 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Yeah....I don't get it either. It's gotta be some client who wants wall art. That bike has the same graphics as Raleigh's top of the line model from the same year (Raleigh Team Professional). I'm assuming they weren't able to find that bike for the right amount of money and went with this frame instead. Since it isn't (assuming, again) going to be ridden it doesn't matter if it's 20-30 tubing--the sticker can be fuzzily seen a couple seconds into the video. But...if the client can afford these bling$$bling components, how can they not afford the real deal frame? Odd.

Also, do you guys wear gloves while wrenching? I don't.

Oh, last thought, I just love how the jubilee looks as it runs down the gears.

edit: Last last thought! He routed the front brake cable in front of the bars...oh dear.

Last edited by Piff; 05-22-20 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Piff:
Old 05-23-20, 04:45 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^^ Didn't Raleigh make a series of bikes, across the line up, with that Team livery for a while. I backed away from a POS Raleigh Record once - stamped DOs, bolt on's, poor brazing, bottom end everything. Only redeeming characteristic was the livery. "Ah, no, thanks" So this frame does not surprise me. As for the the mix of frame and components: I quit thinking about it. The customer is always right. We had an "always right" in the shop yesterday. Really knew "his stuff" and we did not. Even accused us of breaking a spoke "that was not broken when I brought it in". I waved good bye as he huffed away, wondering what he did with the DT bottle cage that was installed upside down.

As to wearing gloves, normally no. "In these unprecedented times" yes, all the time at the LBS.

As to the brake housing route - my boss who has been doing C&V bikes for ages, and been UBI trained, insists that in front of the bars is the way. Horses for courses. Wadda-ell
Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-23-20, 07:13 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Clunkers and Junkers in Raleigh Team Kit

Ever hear the expression: "Silk stockings on a rooster"? How about "Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"....

Over the years, Raleigh produced a slew of bikes in "team kit" from Clunkers and junkers on the bottom of the line on up to SBDU.

The Europa was one that was sold in the UK market. Here's listing from a mid 70's UK catalog:

In 1977 the local Raleigh/Peugeot shop near us was fading out of the picture. Some of their customers wanted to buy Professional Mk V bikes and SBDU Team Pro frames so we took on the Raleigh line.

Aside from those 2 models, we had a need for a bike in the $150-$175 range and the Raleigh Gran Prix fit that niche.

About that time Raleigh approached us with a "special deal". They'd been involved in a failed promotion with 7-Up soft drinks. Under some of the bottle caps were prizes including Raleigh Record bikes in Team kit.

Bikes were still considered kids toys in the US at the time and very few kids here had any idea about the European racing scene so there was less than zero interest in the "contest".

Raleigh ended up being stuck with a bunch of those clunkers. They couldn't give them away; they offered us a truck load of those bikes for $75 each delivered. We had ZERO interest in odd colored low end gas pipe bikes!

In early 1979 several folks from Raleigh came into our shop and tried to pressure us into becoming a Raleigh only dealer and force us to "floor plan" a bunch of their bikes. Aside from three models we were selling, their bikes were clunky and over priced compared to Japanese brands like Centurion and Nishiki that were dominating the market.

Raleigh Pro Mk Vs were selling for over $700. We kept a lot of high end frames in stock and could put a customer on an all Campy Italian or British bike like a Guerciotti for $500-$600!

It's a shame they had to screw up on their last day there!
Now that I've offended everyone, have a nice Memorial Day (in the US) weekend.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-23-20 at 07:22 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-23-20, 07:17 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Canada got a version of the Record, called the Team Record, in Ti-Raleigh livery. Other wise, it was pretty much the same as the bottom of the line Record. It was fairly common practice after a big victory to exploit it with a model dressed up like a team bicycle. Most cyclists bought entry level models, so marketing an entry level team replica made the most sense, from a financial perspective.

Peugeot made a fortune during the early 1970s bicycle boom dressing up the U08 like their PX10 team model and exploiting their pre-boom association with Eddy Merckx. The average cyclist didn't know that Merckx hadn't ridden for Peugeot for years but they knew he was the world's best cyclist and they wanted the bicycle that (they thought) he rode. The illusion was enhanced by the similar appearance between the low and high end Simplex and Mafac products of the era. It was really easy to sell a U08 has a 1/2 price version of the PX10. If you don't think it didn't work, consider the number of PX10 inquires that surface on the forum and actually turn out to be UO8. It's still fooling people, 50 years later.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-23-20 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-23-20, 08:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
People do this everyday. I don't know how many low end Asian built Bianchi bikes I've seen on this forum where they gett all dressed up with CampI or 600 and DA.

I mean it isn't like he took some work a day 4130 frame and resprayed and badged it as a De Rosa or something

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-23-20, 11:22 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
I have come across the Joop Zoetemelk Raleighs, and never understood them. Why on earth would you name an entry level model after your TdF winner? Did someone in Nottingham not like Joop? Was it because it took a Dutch team to get Raleigh the win?

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-23-20, 11:44 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I have come across the Joop Zoetemelk Raleighs, and never understood them. Why on earth would you name an entry level model after your TdF winner? Did someone in Nottingham not like Joop? Was it because it took a Dutch team to get Raleigh the win?

Maybe it is just easier to sell 1000 more $399 biikes with a champions name on them than it is to sell 100 $1200 bikes

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-23-20, 12:23 PM
uncle uncle

Original posterboy here.... first, it was late, I was trying to finish my original thought and crawl into bed. The video creator/bicycle refurber did a great job in both areas. It's not easy to create quality content on youtube, nor is it a straight forward task to refurbish a bicycle. I applaud his efforts. And, I'm all for updating a loved bicycle with better components. That said, I have some personal boundaries of how far I go with the betterment. Second, if I were a professional bicycle racer, and had an opportunity to have my signature or likeness applied to a bicycle shop quality bicycle, I think I would be thrilled, even if it were the entry model. Entry level = more exposure = more fan love for me. Truth in advertising, I adore those bicycles that have the portrait of an x-racer applied to them, or just their names, even the Roger Riviere bicycles of the World. (I don't understand it, so don't ask me to explain it.)
Old 05-23-20, 12:30 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Hard to beleive it's 20-30 tubing, although the sticker at the sp cluster looks like it says 20-30

Forged dropouts

Large diameter seat post

Proper top tube braze-ons (not the typical Raleigh)

Water bottle braze-ons

None of the above were present in the bikes that Raleigh offered using 20-30 tubing

Last edited by branko_76; 05-23-20 at 12:44 PM.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 05-23-20, 02:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

The Joop Zoetemelk model was available in team colors and in metallic "Champaign". Dropouts looked like this:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-23-20, 02:43 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Maybe it is just easier to sell 1000 more $399 biikes with a champions name on them than it is to sell 100 $1200 bikes
You may well be correct, but even so.

The "problem" with Joop Zoetemelk is that he is a very modest man, hardly the type to become number one in anything. He just happened be a very, very competent rider. If you look at his track record, you'll see he very much deserved that TdF win. And a better bike named after him, IMHO.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-23-20, 07:15 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by non-fixie
You may well be correct, but even so.

The "problem" with Joop Zoetemelk is that he is a very modest man....
Maybe a modest man is best immortalized by a modest bicycle? I'd ride a Joop signature Raleigh, in my "I have no pride" modest-ness, with a small constant smile on my face, of which only I, and maybe Joop, would understand.

Old 05-23-20, 09:07 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by verktyg
Ever hear the expression: "Silk stockings on a rooster"? How about "Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"....
Now that I've offended everyone, have a nice Memorial Day (in the US) weekend.
verktyg
Yeah, those expressions would fit my analysis of his bicycle/parts combo.... And, I'm not offended. I love the stories and insights into the goings on in old bike shop days.
Old 02-24-21, 02:49 AM
Oldfrank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it's nice to see one of these Joops. I had one back on 1984, when I was a kid. Not as a competitor but at the age when you rode everywhere. Loved that bike. Spent a long time recently, looking for one that wasn't a silly price. Eventually found one and getting back on it, it felt exactly the same. An absolute joy to ride. So.. perhaps not a great high spec bike, but the one I have is pretty original and I still love it.

Last edited by Oldfrank; 02-24-21 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Oldfrank:
Old 03-03-21, 08:13 AM
AtoZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfrank
well, it's nice to see one of these joops. I had one back on 1984, when i was a kid. Not as a competitor but at the age when you rode everywhere. Loved that bike. Spent a long time recently, looking for one that wasn't a silly price. Eventually found one and getting back on it, it felt exactly the same. An absolute joy to ride. So.. Perhaps not a great high spec bike, but the one i have is pretty original and i still love it.
Good 👍