Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mint 1989 Miyata 1000 LT

Old 05-19-20, 10:12 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Mint 1989 Miyata 1000 LT

I've been fortunate to own many Miyata 1000s but have never come across one as new/mint as this one.

From what I was told, it was only used for one 50km trip in 1990 one summer and stowed away in the garage. I plan on giving it a full overhaul and fresh grease. Everything is stock, including the original Vettagel saddle. I love hearing about the stories on what it was like obtaining one of these back in the day and it seems even back then it had a large following.

What do you think this could fetch for once it's all cleaned up and tuned in a Canadian market? The Radial tires are still in like-new condition and show no signs of wear or age. The only thing that needs to be replaced are the brake pads.

Old 05-19-20, 10:16 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
People tend to ask crazy money for bikes in near mint condition but it's hard to sell at those prices. You'd need to find a collector who just wants some bike wall art. And my guess is that collectors are usually looking for different bikes than this. I'd value this a little above what a top dog vintage touring bike is worth in Canada that's in decent shape. So a little bump up for the condition but not a lot.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-19-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 01:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
If those are the original tires then, they're over 31 years old. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding around on tires that old. Especially if there are a lot of big downhill runs nearby. It's also a small frame bike and, that's going to reduce the demand. So, with new tires, tubes, grease, brake pads, handlebar pads & maybe a new chain I think it would be worth somewhere between 5 or 6 hundred dollars US.
Old 05-26-20, 10:29 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
For reference, I sold my 1989 1000LT for $650USD last summer on Craigslist in Chicago. It wasn't in mint condition, but well maintained and quite good. Great bike, like everyone says.

Who knows, now that everyone wants a bike, you might be able to fetch a higher price (though most people are looking for commuter/recreation bikes, not collectibles).

You'd probably get the best price on eBay, but you have to deal with lots of hassle. My random guess, not knowing the Cowtown market: $750USD?
Old 05-26-20, 07:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Kind of shocked it doesn't have bar end shifters. I had one similar age, same color scheme, bar ends.
Old 05-27-20, 05:45 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
For reference, I sold my 1989 1000LT for $650USD last summer on Craigslist in Chicago. It wasn't in mint condition, but well maintained and quite good. Great bike, like everyone says.

Who knows, now that everyone wants a bike, you might be able to fetch a higher price (though most people are looking for commuter/recreation bikes, not collectibles).

You'd probably get the best price on eBay, but you have to deal with lots of hassle. My random guess, not knowing the Cowtown market: $750USD?
USD -> CAD would fall around $900, which some might find too ambitious. I could possibly aim for $750 CAD as touring is becoming a hot sport here Alberta again with the current pandemic.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Kind of shocked it doesn't have bar end shifters. I had one similar age, same color scheme, bar ends.
Bar end shifters became standard after 1990 I believe.