Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Eroica California 2019 BF C&V Thread - Reg, info, roll call and more!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unofficial Eroica California 2019 BF C&V Thread - Reg, info, roll call and more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 11:23 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Packed up and ready to hit the road!

Old 04-04-19, 02:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
@mech986:

We've got two active threads on Eroica, please note that @davester has recommended that we all gather up at the Cayucas pier for a group picture.
Old 04-04-19, 07:52 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you all! I finished the restoration of my Bottecchia about a week ago and have been road testing with commutes to the office here in SLO. A group pic at the pier sounds great. I don't know what other rides folks are doing -- perhaps if we picked a target time to meet? I'm doing the 75-mile ride which puts me at the pier around 9:15 if I get off at 8:00 am.
Old 04-04-19, 08:12 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Regarding group photo, if you think the group photo at start last year was like herding cats, wait until they’re all on the bike and pedaling! You’ll never get everyone in one spot once the riding starts.

Originally Posted by gugie
@mech986:

We've got two active threads on Eroica, please note that @davester has recommended that we all gather up at the Cayucas pier for a group picture.
I'm doing the long route, starting between 500 and 530, and I expect it'll still be dark when I roll through Cayucos at mile 16. I'll send a pic for possible photoshopping.
Old 06-10-20, 08:55 PM
paisano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your Sannow have heart cut outs on lugs?and does your BB shel have a flower like cutout?
I have a similar bike and I'm trying to figure out what it is.
Thanks
Ben
Old 06-10-20, 09:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Thread help.

Originally Posted by since6

Ok add me to the list, signed up this morning.

If I ride it will be the 35 mile route with my Takahashi Sannow Sport (the back surgery restoration bike). The "if" is as I will be between 4-5 months post L5 back surgery so won't know till I get there as to when I will be released to ride and more importantly be able to pick up and move the weight of a 25lb bike. So good thoughts all.

Back up will include a bike for the Concours even I I can't ride. See you all next spring.

Edited for the obvious question: What's a Takahashi Sannow Sport? Mid-1976 date of consruction, 21.5 lbs. without pedals, First Generation Shimano Dura Ace (black) gruppo, lovely ride with 28mm tires, likely switch to 32mm if I can ride Eroica.
Old 06-12-20, 10:10 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Ben here's some additional information on Sannow Sport from forum posts and my research online:

I did find a prior post regarding the Sannow Sport bicycle on C&V and a website that has a 1960s Sannow Sport catalog.

Thanks to a post from 2frmMI:

“Zombie Revival!!
Just found this thread, and for the purpose of not letting info be lost, here goes...
I found the Sannow Sports bike shop in Tokyo sometime around 1984 or 85, if I recall. When I walked in the door and looked at the bikes I was immediately in love. The frames were "old school" even then. The jolly old proprietor came out and introduced himself as Takahashi-san. Some amount of conversation (limited by my rough Japanese language ability) and he let on to being an Olympic medalist in the 50's, though I've never been able to confirm that. Anyway, he had a set of candy-apple red frames hanging from the ceiling that were drop-dead gorgeous - like I had died and come back to life in a Cinelli factory. Metal flake candy-apple over chrome. Long cutout lugs in Cinelli style, more chrome on the fork crown and dropouts. I'm told that to do that, the whole frame is chromed, and I believe that, since over the years I've been a bad boy and chipped and banged mine up enough to find chrome all over the place (for example see the closeup of the lug area). Takahashi-san claimed these frames were a contract build for the Korean National Team. This was the start of a 2-week business trip for me, so I had him measure me up for exactly "one just like those". Tange "prestige" tubing, and T-san said I couldn't gain 10 pounds or I'd have to hang it up... When I got back to Tokyo, the frame was ready (though it was too quick for him to get the head badge and decals on), and we debated the running gear. He eventually convinced me to equip it with a majority of Suntour Superbe (and at the time he was the importer for Campagnolo, so pretty honest recommendation, I think). Superbe was some beautiful stuff and the market is the worse without it these days. I particularly liked the pedals and the hubs...sigh. Anyway, having brought the kit back to USA and put it together, I had a lot of interest from friends in Seattle, where I lived at the time. Subsequently imported a few more bikes from Takahashi (with help from a friend in the food import business - Blake, are you listening?), with the idea of becoming a grand entrepreneur, but alas, I am to this day only a bike rider. The bike sits today in our exercise room in an honorary position on a stand. Back in the day, I put a LOT of really great miles on this lovely bike (call it '84 thru ca. '94), including a high-point for me, a 3 digit STP (Seattle to Portland). I hope others will find this thread and add to the history, though the most knowledgeable will probably need translation.

Sannow sports in 1960s - The catalogs of Japanese vintage bicyclecyclespeugeot.web.fc2.com/reminiscence/sannow60s.htmI've received several catalogs from many cyclists who visited this website. I greatly appreciate them. Here is the catalog of Sannow Sports in 1960s.

From this 60s catalog I glean that there were Sannow Champion, Eminenza and Santa Rosa models, but I don’t know what model my Sannow is, again any help in identification is welcome.
Old 06-12-20, 10:14 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Ben, you can also find the full range of pictures, including the flower/butterfly cut out of the bottom bracket and additional back ground from forum members about this bicycle brand if you do a search for my post:

"A time capsule…perhaps a one of…it happened again, gratitude."

Old 07-06-20, 05:20 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Hey everyone!
It is 12 weeks before the new Eroica CA schedule weekend. I am starting a 10 week training plan later this month so I am sure to be ready. Let's all be optimistic, and I will see you there!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 07-06-20, 12:36 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Hey everyone!
It is 12 weeks before the new Eroica CA schedule weekend. I am starting a 10 week training plan later this month so I am sure to be ready. Let's all be optimistic, and I will see you there!
I just Re-Reserved my hotel room for the new dates. Hopefully we can get the ride in before they change their minds.

My equipment and my riding ability are all ready to roll,,as long as I keep doing those climbs up to Azusa on the weekends I'll be O.K.
Old 07-06-20, 02:42 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
This is the Eroica 2019 thread. The 2020 thread is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21572758
Old 07-06-20, 03:35 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
This is the Eroica 2019 thread. The 2020 thread is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21572758
OH man, color me embarrased.!
Likes For mgopack42: