Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you miss cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you miss cycling?

Old 06-17-20, 02:12 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you miss cycling?

Please forgive me for this question,

I’m in a life situation in which I can only ride a little bit and not very often. I confess my envy of you guys who get to ride all of the time. To live in a world surrounded by all things bike would be wonderful. My Trek Marlin 6 hasn’t really seen a trail and my Schwinn Super Sport just collects dust.

I want to know how to cope with it? Did you ever live through a time when you couldn’t ride much? We’re you ever forced to give it up and what did you do?

At least for my other interest in music I was able to put a keyboard in my office at work.

Thanks and I apologize for the somber tone of my post.
Old 06-17-20, 02:23 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
During the winter the weather around here makes it difficult for me at least to ride outside.

My solution to the problem: a fluid trainer and Zwift. +3000 miles/year all in the comfort of my basement. The cold, snow, ice or dark of night doesn't stop me from getting on the bike.
Old 06-17-20, 02:39 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Pianoboy57, you don't mention why you've stopped biking and I don't want to pry. If the issue is health / stamina related, you should consider an e-bike. They are quite popular and not expensive. There are also kits available to convert a regular bike.
Old 06-17-20, 03:00 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I can definitely sympathise. We have 3 small kids and 2 full-time working parents in our house, and I can't get anything like the miles in that I would love to. I have the fluid trainer set up on the back deck ready to go at as soon as the kids are in bed, and I've taken to sneaking out for a quick hour/90 mins on Saturday mornings before everyone else wakes up; you have to carve out the time where you can.

But I miss the days of being able to get on the bike at 9 and ride until I felt like it.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-17-20, 04:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If I found myself in a situation where I can't ride as much and as often as I do now it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I have other interests and do other activities besides cycling
Old 06-17-20, 04:28 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
I'm not sure joining a bike forum just when you become unable to cycle is such a good plan. Maybe you should consider a clean break, find a hobby that works for you.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-17-20, 08:05 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
If ya like it.....

Life tends to change from time to time kids, health, older parents needing time and or care. You never mentioned why and it probably is irrelevant. Try to chill a little. Get your time in when you can. Ten miles? Okay, if that's what you have time for enjoy it. Put the hammer down or just cruise. DO NOT think of what you can not get, but enjoy the moments you can grab. Many of us have been there,done that. If you quit you failed in some ways, given up if you will. You may lose some of your fitness but if you enjoy the rides you will retain at least some level of fitness. Sanity and health is worth keeping up. Most here have a need and or want for more. Just keep in mind modest amounts can keep you sane and fit. DO NOT beat your self up for what little time you may have but savor the moments you can. I too had issues and gave up in my early years with kids. My loss. Do not make the same mistakes. Just chill and savor the moments and quit beating your self up.
Old 06-17-20, 08:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Not today. I would have been near here had I not had to cancel my planned tour.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-18-20, 02:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
For the past 7 years I was working from home and able to get in 30-40 miles every day. Alas, I found myself without a contract this past January and then the covid scare and now am once again working in a bike shop with zero time to ride. Fortunately I took up weight lifting last November and bought weights for home as well as a gym membership. Don't miss getting in the mileage like I did before as I only ride one day a week now if not including commutes to the bike shop. I lift nearly every morning and thoroughly enjoy it, easily as much as riding. To date only 200 miles have been covered on the road this year, but have lifted thousands of pounds!
Old 06-18-20, 04:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you miss cycling?
Originally Posted by Pianoboy57

I’m in a life situation in which I can only ride a little bit and not very often. I confess my envy of you guys who get to ride all of the time. To live in a world surrounded by all things bike would be wonderful. My Trek Marlin 6 hasn’t really seen a trail and my Schwinn Super Sport just collects dust.

I want to know how to cope with it? Did you ever live through a time when you couldn’t ride much? We’re you ever forced to give it up and what did you do?

At least for my other interest in music I was able to put a keyboard in my office at work.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm not sure joining a bike forum just when you become unable to cycle is such a good plan.

Maybe you should consider a clean break, find a hobby that works for you.
I have posted about two occasions in my decades-long cycling lifestyle I was hampered from cycling.

For the past few years,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist
I have previously posted to this thread, ”Why didn’t I ride”
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting.

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride

And to a lesser extent, family activities.

I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides
I cycle for (fun) exercise, particularly via commuting, and consider it a lifestyle. I also enjoy posting to Bike Forums …

A radio commentator, Dennis Prager once suggested that one should take a vacation everyday; not to physically “get away,” but do something different during the day, and that’s posting for me.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If I found myself in a situation where I can't ride as much and as often as I do now it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

I have other interests and do other activities besides cycling
My (our) hobby/amateur pursuit during leisure time though is social ballroom dancing. After about eight years of lessons in the 1980’s my wife and I go out dancing once a week.

A perfect Saturday is an early morning long bike ride, and dining out and dancing that evening.
Fortunately I like my career and its rewards, so I continue to strive to ride. Cycle-commuting is the ideal channel (see this thread, "Describe Your Commute" (link)).

And...
In 2012, I was hit from behind with six weeks in acute and rehab hospitals, three months off work, and five months off the bike
During my hospitalization I was wistful as I took a few ambulance rides along my usual commuting route, during some of the nicest June riding days in memory
During that summer, I found writing to Bike Forums kept my spirits up.
"Do you talk to other riders on your commute?"

There are a lot of cyclists around here, and I like to chat; heck, I have even tried to solicit for Bike.Forums...

I have mentioned BF occasionally on the Road... A frequent snooty response is “I’d rather cycle than post at a computer.” to which I reply, ”Well, I post at work when I can’t be riding. (I’m salaried and can within reason do my job at my own schedule).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-18-20 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added quote by Wolfchild
Old 06-18-20, 10:57 AM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words. Since I already have a keyboard at work perhaps I should keep a bike in my truck bed. I've got some beaters I could fix up for that purpose. Fortunately we are pretty casual here so wearing street clothes for a short lunch ride would be doable. I just have to wear the right pants on that day. Perhaps that would be a start to getting back on the road again.
Old 06-18-20, 07:28 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not today. I would have been near here had I not had to cancel my planned tour.

Thats crazy. But the mountains have their own weather

Old 06-18-20, 08:33 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words. Since I already have a keyboard at work perhaps I should keep a bike in my truck bed. I've got some beaters I could fix up for that purpose. Fortunately we are pretty casual here so wearing street clothes for a short lunch ride would be doable. I just have to wear the right pants on that day. Perhaps that would be a start to getting back on the road again.
Now your thinking. A short run on lunch break good for the soul.

Old 06-19-20, 09:26 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, I'm missing it at the moment. Had a crash about a month ago and seriously messed up my clavicle. It's now got a titanium plate screwed to it (I'm sure a carbon one would have been better!) and I can't get out and ride for at least another four weeks

I friend has very kindly loaned me his turbo-trainer but goodness, is it every tedious compared with being out in the fresh air. I'm managing to do the minimum to keep some tone in my legs but I really can't bring myself to do more. So looking forward to getting outside again.
Old 06-19-20, 09:46 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

There are times in your life when work and family pressures are more important than riding. You should always find time for some riding though because it does relieve a lot of stress and strains that might otherwise harm your health. It doesn't take a lot but when I was in that position if there was one thing that I always looked forward to it was my ride.