Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie question re helmet fitting

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-20-20, 10:16 AM
ydono

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time and decided to get back into it - casual biking on a mountain bike. I suffered a concussion a few years back so want to wear a helmet. I bought a bontrager quantum small helmet. when I have been trying to size it on my head, it seems to fit pretty snug but it rests on top of my eyebrows. does this mean it is too big? also, I read somewhere that it should pull down on my head when I reach halfway when opening my mouth. I have to open my mouth fully for it to pull on my head. Too big? different brand name in helmets as I can't get smaller than a small I don't think.

thanks - yvonne
Old 06-20-20, 11:49 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
You should go back to where you bought it and seek help.
Old 06-20-20, 01:51 PM
ydono

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought it on line so as not to have to go into a store during covid.
Old 06-20-20, 05:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Pretty much every helmet fits different. I've had some sit 3/4" above my eyebrows, while others are right down on my eyebrows. With the helmet buckled and the ratchet dialed in, the helmet should fit snugly but not tight. If you can nod/shake your head back and forth/side-to-side and the helmet moves, it's too big. If the helmet stays put, it's fine. If the helmet still feels like it's just slightly too big, you can try wearing a cycling cap under the helmet to snug it up a little. Helmet fit is a very individual thing, and it's really tough to do online.

IMO, if the dial is all the way in and the helmet moves, it's 100% too big.
Old 06-20-20, 06:08 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
They vary in fit from brand to brand. Usually there is a fit guide to show you how to measure for your fit. Does that mean it always works.....? Nope. But most often it does.

When you say tight and I assume it may have the adjustable dial possibly on its most loose setting, is it tight as in so tight you get a headache​​​​​​?

If so, then you have a wrongly fitted helmet. My experience has been like in my professional wearing some of the most advanced and technical PPE in the world is too tight a fit.....no good. My helmet when I tighten the dial on the back I keep it where it slightly has some very slight rock to it.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-20, 10:53 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I have a small head and have a heck of a time finding helmets that actually fit. Don't trust the people who work at the bike shops. One guy tried to sell me a helmet that was obviously too large. I got so irritated I asked him if he would be happy wearing size 14 shoes and just tying them tighter. I turned and walked out the door. No buying online for me; I have to try them on to make sure they aren't too big. I can usually find a helmet in the $100-125 range on sale that fits. My brain is more important than trying to save some $.

The helmet should be a decent fit even without tightening the adjustment on the rear of the helmet. If you shake your head (yes and no directions) it should stay in place on your head and not wobble around. Otherwise it is too large.
Old 06-21-20, 01:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Bontrager Quantum appears to be designed for mountain biking. Those often cover lower on the skull to better protect the forehead, temples and occipital region. Usually not a problem on bikes with more upright ride, but could be an issue on a drop bar road bike.

My POC Omne Air Spin covers lower on the skull than my Bell Formula MIPS, so the POC partially blocks the upper part of my peripheral vision when I'm in the drops. Not a problem sitting up or on my hybrids.

There are some road helmets that cover lower on the skull but tapered inward so they might obstruct the forward view a bit less. Check out some of the Abus helmets.
Old 06-21-20, 04:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
It’s probably ok. Tighten the chin strap so when you open your mouth fully you feel the strap is really tight under your chin.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-21-20, 11:56 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
You are probably OK if the helmet is comfortable in the end. The drop-your-chin to check for strap tightness is a good test. Too many people wear their straps too loose and the helmet can be peeled off over the back of their head when force is applied by the pavement. Adjusting the junctions of the fore and aft straps close to the bottom of your ear is also useful. The shake-your-head without the strap tightened is also a good test of fit. If your head rattles in the helmet it needs more padding or is too large. You want that lid square on your head, not cocked to the side or riding back on the crown of your head (your forebrain is important too). Have an experienced cyclist assist you in making the adjustments and if that doesn't seem good enough talk to others.
Old 06-22-20, 09:15 AM
ydono

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the shaking my head up and down test and it doesn't wobble. I don't feel like the low placement will hurt my vision as I do bike sitting up. thanks for all your helpful advice. I am ready to head out!!
Old 06-22-20, 09:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Helmet manufacturers have a sizing guide. All you need to know is the circumference of your head above you eybrows and around the widest part in back.

If you can't try them on, then that is what you should go by. IMO.

If you helmet seems snug now. It might be worse later on a long ride.
Old 06-22-20, 09:41 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Your helmet should come down onto your forehead so that if you go face first, your face is somewhat protected. My glasses and helmet pretty much touch each other - granted, they are large glasses.

As for the opening the mouth, I think that refers to how tight the strap is. I personally don't like my straps that tight.