Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is/was the best Raleigh road bike of the 1970s?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-29-20, 07:01 PM
jda775838

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking to get my first Raleigh road bike but having trouble deciding or knowing what to get. What are the best ones from the 1970s?

Also, what's the difference between a Raleigh Record & Raleigh Super Record? I've seen both of these on craigslist.
Old 06-29-20, 07:09 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Early or late '70's??? BIG difference!!!!
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-29-20, 07:19 PM
jda775838

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Early or late '70's??? BIG difference!!!!
Late 70s, like 1976 or so.
Old 06-29-20, 08:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 6,624 Times in 2,596 Posts
Well, here's the 1976 Canadian price list:

And the 1974 US price list:

Based on price, I suppose you should be looking for a Professional.
Old 06-29-20, 08:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
First Raleigh road bike and it has to be from the 1970's?

Methinks that if you're looking at Raleigh Records, you're not aiming for a budget that can buy you the best (the Professional). That said, you cannot go wrong picking up a Competition Mk.II or a 1977+ Super Course. Safe choices, and they'll be a much greater value for dollar than the Pro.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-30-20 at 08:11 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-29-20, 09:25 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by jda775838
I'm looking to get my first Raleigh road bike but having trouble deciding or knowing what to get. What are the best ones from the 1970s?

Also, what's the difference between a Raleigh Record & Raleigh Super Record? I've seen both of these on craigslist.
What bikes have you ridden?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 06-29-20, 09:46 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
First Raleigh road bike and it has to be from the 1970's?

Methinks that if you're looking at Raleigh Records, you're not aiming for a budget that can buy you the best (the Professional). That said, you cannot go wrong picking up a Competition Mk.II or a 1977+ Super Course. Safe choices, and they'll be a much greater value for dollar than the Pro.

-Kurt
Doesn't seem like there are a lot of Pros around. Competitions seem scarce as well and when I see them locally for sale, the Huret Jubilee derailleurs are gone. SCs and SC MKIIs seem to show up at reasonable prices. Best value seems to be the Grand (or Gran) Sport or Sports I've seen a couple for sale in the Houston area in the $200 range -- both 72s, I believe. Other than the Simplex derailleurs, which can be replaced with SunTour for not much, they seem to be pretty decent. And, I'm not knocking those Simplex mechs for any reason other than what everybody knows about aging Delrin. My experience with them back in the 70s was good. They actually worked well.

Another point in favor of the GS is the color scheme -- best looking 70s Raleigh, imo. But that Ben Hur chainguard on the Stronglight crank -- just makes me want to run somebody off the road.

The Internationals seem to be what's been showing up on the forums recently. Some beautiful examples out there. Mine, otoh, is a dog in appearance.

Here's a picture of a GS with the guard intact. They also came in white and blue colors exchanged. Very pretty

Last edited by desconhecido; 06-29-20 at 09:51 PM.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 06-29-20, 09:49 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Doesn't seem like there are a lot of Pros around. Competitions seem scarce as well and when I see them locally for sale, the Huret Jubilee derailleurs are gone. SCs and SC MKIIs seem to show up at reasonable prices. Best value seems to be the Gran[d] Sport.
All highly dependent on market. We're all rusty Grand Prixes here, plus one idiot asking $350 for a rusty Grand Sport with a Simplex RD that has the characteristically damaged upper pivot stop.

And if he must have the best from the '70s, it's time to pony up some cash and go on eBay.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-30-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 01:55 AM
jda775838

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by branko_76
What bikes have you ridden?
I haven't ridden alot since my younger years, but I've had a Schwinn Tiger & Schwinn Traveler. Right now I have a Raleigh Ram, but wanting a good Raleigh road bike, something highly recommended in most opinions. Never really done my homework before getting a bike, so starting now & taking my time. Enough to find answers anyway.

So far I'm seeing the Pro, Competition, Super Course, Grand Sport, International & Grand Prix. I've seen some Pros & Internationals, but not in my area (south central PA), mostly 70s Records, so was thinking those & the imported ones. If I'm going to aim for better models, I should probably set a high budget, like $500+ & drive an hour or so to get a great bike. So that's where I'm at & my budget.
Old 06-30-20, 03:04 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Yes, you'll probably have to drive a while. Fortunately, "south central" means you have access to the Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Baltimore markets. Nice. Holding out for one of the top models would be worth it. I love mine.

Caution: Raleigh or Raleigh America made a "Record" model in team colors that was just a BSO. Cheap steel, bolt on wheels, junk components. Not all Records were created equal. Be careful about ads that say Record. Get great photos and ask lotsa questions before you do the drive.

Now, just to irk you - I bought my Pro outside Harrisburg. 6 years ago and very much worth the drive.
Old 06-30-20, 03:17 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
I LOVE my 79 Competition GS and highly recommend that model if you can find one in your price range. I also had a 76 (I think) Super Course MK II for a while and loved it as well. I'd say the Super Course is definitely the most bang for your buck.
Old 06-30-20, 04:26 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
My pic would have to be the 1978 Raleigh Super Course, its the first year for forged dropouts and although only a three tube 531 frame, its robust enough for daily use and general purpose riding. The same year Super Grand Prix is a close second, which came with a step down in derailleurs with the VX vs the Cyclone on the SC. Weight on the two models is very similar, likely only a few ouces difference between the two.
I owned both, I sold the SC and kept my SGP. I do still own a 1977 SC, which I also bought new, but its a little worse for wear these days sitting in the garage waiting for me to get the time to restore it.
Old 06-30-20, 04:44 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I actually worked in a Raleigh shop in Maine in 1976, and I've always had a soft spot for Raleighs ever since. Just the smell of a new Raleigh as I pulled it out of the box was intoxicating for me back then. Ahh! If I had to choose one bike to best-represent a 1976 Raleigh, I would choose the International, mainly because it had sweet Nervex lugs. I think a little more care and attention went into an International for some reason. Probably not, but that the feeling I get.
Old 06-30-20, 06:29 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I have to say that my favorite bike of all that I own is my 1972 Super Course.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-30-20, 07:14 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
On the entry level models, the Canadian built built frames had had better workmanship than the Nottingham product, which was all over the place. The Worksop built frames were generally better but could still be erratic. So, my advise would be to carefully examine before you buy.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-30-20, 08:10 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
I haven't ridden alot since my younger years, but I've had a Schwinn Tiger & Schwinn Traveler. Right now I have a Raleigh Ram, but wanting a good Raleigh road bike, something highly recommended in most opinions. Never really done my homework before getting a bike, so starting now & taking my time. Enough to find answers anyway.

So far I'm seeing the Pro, Competition, Super Course, Grand Sport, International & Grand Prix. I've seen some Pros & Internationals, but not in my area (south central PA), mostly 70s Records, so was thinking those & the imported ones. If I'm going to aim for better models, I should probably set a high budget, like $500+ & drive an hour or so to get a great bike. So that's where I'm at & my budget.
South Central - as in Harrisburg/Lancaster/York? Lived there for 20 years before life took me away about 7 years ago. You just missed the annual World Cup Ski & Cycle bike swap in Camp Hill. No telling what would or would not have been there. The local Craigslist was hit and miss there, but patience can pay off. Won't hurt to check surrounding areas' CLs and Marketplaces. Also might not hurt to try going to Merv's (near Shippensburg) next time you need consumables. He may have some vintage bicycles for sale (though not necessarily on display).

As for which Raleigh? The Schwinn Traveler is roughly equivalent to a Raleigh Super Grand Prix of the 70's. I think you'd be happy with any thing Super Course or up, but I am partial to Competitons and Internationals.
Old 06-30-20, 08:12 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
My pic would have to be the 1978 Raleigh Super Course, its the first year for forged dropouts and although only a three tube 531 frame, its robust enough for daily use and general purpose riding. The same year Super Grand Prix is a close second, which came with a step down in derailleurs with the VX vs the Cyclone on the SC. Weight on the two models is very similar, likely only a few ouces difference between the two.
I owned both, I sold the SC and kept my SGP. I do still own a 1977 SC, which I also bought new, but its a little worse for wear these days sitting in the garage waiting for me to get the time to restore it.
SGP isn't a 531 frame. It's a GP with some upgraded components (like alloy wheels).
Old 06-30-20, 08:25 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

No worries, you don't need to go to the top then. The mid-range 531 models are quite serviceable and a heck of a lot cheaper than a Professional.

Raleigh's general pecking order (prior to 1977, but roughly the same order even afterwards) is as follows, from top to bottom. This applies to the US market only:

SBDU Team Professional
Team Professional / Professional
International
Competition
Gran(d) Sport(s) / Super Tourer
Super Course
Grand Prix
Record

Since it sounds as if you're trying to get something locally and don't really need a Professional, anything from Super Course to Gran Sport should do fine.

However, as T-Mar pointed out, Raleigh quality from Nottingham was sloppy at best during this time. If you don't mind ditching the 1970's aesthetic, I'd suggest going the mid-1980s route and picking up a the Japanese-made Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, or Prestige. Skip the Super Course as it has Shimano-only downtube braze-ons that will limit your options and make your life miserable.

There are also the red and blue 1982 Japanese-made, non-cataloged "Raleighsonic" International Mk.II and Competition 531 models that - if you find one - are very competent frames.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-11-20 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 10:03 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

jda775838 , any bike from the 1970's will need a restoration. Even if it had never been ridden and is showroom fresh, the grease in the headset, bottom bracket and hubs will have deteriorated by now and will need to be cleaned out and new grease applied. I've owned and restored numerous Raleigh bikes from the 1970's including Sprite.... Record.... Grand Prix.... Super Grand Prix ....and Super Course. These are all on the low end of the food chain but are easy to find and can be great bikes if restored and tuned properly.

Here's one example....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rehabbed.html
Old 06-30-20, 10:14 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I was looking at the price sheet. In early 1971, when I was considering the Super Course vs. the American Eagle (Nishiki) Semi-Pro (Competition), the SC cost $125 US. The bike boom hit, and then the inflation of the Carter / post-Carter era, and bicycle prices went through the roof.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-30-20, 10:39 AM
87 Demo

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1975 Raleigh International, 1976 Torresini, 1987 Tommaso TC Cromor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Gran Sports and Super Courses have been my favorite raleighs. My Gran Sport rides just as nicely as my International but comparatively cost very little. Super Courses can also be found for very little, usually less than $400 and with a few component changes (depending on the year) you'll have a very nice bike.
Old 06-30-20, 03:12 PM
jda775838

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a pretty nice looking Professional, wondering what you'd all think.....apparently I can't post the pictures of it till I've made numerous posts & I've only posted this thread, so it'll be awhile, just joined the other day, but will try using it as my avatar. The serial number of the bike is WK4005505. All original parts, down to the Brooks saddle. Has Campagnolo Super Record hubs on it, which aren't original to it. Other than that, everything about it checks out. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the sale. It'd be the best bike I ever had. A bit pricier than what intended to pay but for a Professional & as much time as I put into looking for a great Raleigh, I think the price is worth it. Between $900 & $1000. It's in New York, closest Professional in proximity I've found. Thought I'd get your opinions.
Old 06-30-20, 03:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I found a pretty nice looking Professional, wondering what you'd all think.....apparently I can't post the pictures of it till I've made numerous posts & I've only posted this thread, so it'll be awhile, just joined the other day, but will try using it as my avatar. The serial number of the bike is WK4005505. All original parts, down to the Brooks saddle. Has Campagnolo Super Record hubs on it, which aren't original to it. Other than that, everything about it checks out. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the sale. It'd be the best bike I ever had. A bit pricier than what intended to pay but for a Professional & as much time as I put into looking for a great Raleigh, I think the price is worth it. Between $900 & $1000. It's in New York, closest Professional in proximity I've found. Thought I'd get your opinions.
There's no such thing as Super Record hubs.

That said, in order:
  • Does it fit?
  • Does it ride well?
  • Does the frame have any questionable areas around the lugwork (including crash damage)?
  • Is the frame straight? (eyeball it from the back)
  • Is it repainted?
  • If so, is the repaint hiding anything?
  • Is it everything you thought it would be when you rode it?
  • Did you have even the slightest reservation about any one thing upon seeing it?
An indication to buy would be: Yes, yes, no, yes, no/yes, no, yes, no.

I'm still at a loss as to the need to get the best Raleigh as your first though, especially coming from Schwinn electroforged boat anchors.
  • A nice Pro makes for a terrible commuter. Any nice hard-to-replace bike falls into this category.
  • If you're just after The Best, Raleigh isn't where to find it. There are '70s custom frames from small builders out there which could be had at a similar price with outstanding lugwork. Raleigh and build quality are mutually exclusive terms, unless you're talking about custom-built SBDU Professionals.
  • Part of the desire of owning a Raleigh Pro is because they look cool. But to feel this way, you'd have to have seen one before to buy into the cool factor. Seems like you've paged through catalogs but it never caught your attention until we mentioned it. I'm worried that we're putting ideas in your head.
  • The Mk.II-Mk.IV and Mk.V are very different bikes with very different rides, so "I want a Raleigh Professional" means jack. That statement has many different meanings.
  • If you're putting together a museum...I get it.
  • nlerner here has pretty much proven that you can live life to the fullest with a restomodded Raleigh Super Course.
  • I have three Raleigh Pros. I've ridden two of them, one is still being built, and I'm still more likely to grab my 1951 Raleigh Sports for fun, or my '61 Schwinn Paramount to go fast (and don't get me started on how overrated Paramounts are too, even though I'm guilty of promoting them too).
-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-30-20 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-30-20, 03:45 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

the thread header reads "What is/was the best Raleigh road bike of the 1970's?"

here we are now at over twenty messages and no one has yet to mention the true team bikes done by Kessels

that would certainly be me choice if the choice I had...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-30-20 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 06-30-20, 04:19 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the thread header reads "What is/was the best Raleigh road bike of the 1970's?"

here we are now at over twenty messages and no one has yet to mention the true team bikes done by Kessels

that would certainly be me choice if the choice I had...

-----
Would the op really know the difference?
Likes For branko_76:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.