Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivnuts or braised bottle attachment?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-02-20, 07:20 PM
Captain Paul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to add water bottle attachments to my World Voyageur. If I ship it to a frame shop to stretch it to 130 and have the alignment checked I will have braise ons added. If not what do you all think about rivnuts?
Old 07-02-20, 07:29 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Not to a World Voyageur frame(rivnut)
Old 07-02-20, 07:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Paul
I want to add water bottle attachments to my World Voyageur. If I ship it to a frame shop to stretch it to 130 and have the alignment checked I will have braise ons added. If not what do you all think about rivnuts?
All that alignment work won't damage any paint. Brazing will, of course. If you can get a good paint match on your World Voyageur, you could just do a touch-up job on it. You could always try the rivnuts, if they spin loose, brazed on bottle mounts can be added. I did exactly that for ollo_ollo recently.
Old 07-02-20, 09:16 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I used rivnuts on my Gran Sport about 8 years ago, following Gugie’s logic. So far they are holding just fine.
Old 07-03-20, 07:14 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I use Velo Orange down tube clamps and their stainless, old school cages. I currently have two bikes setup like this, but have had others. Only one day did one come loose on a ride, which was fortunately resolved at a hardware store on the road. I also really like the look of cages fixed to handlebars at the stem.

Personally, I wouldn't drill a nice frame unless I was going to tour off-road, and other solutions couldn't work. I did use a rivnut successfully a couple times after buying a flip with only one good down tube boss.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-03-20, 10:46 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
My answers for bikes without bottle mounts and not wanting to wreck the decals.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 07-03-20, 11:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
My answers for bikes without bottle mounts and not wanting to wreck the decals.
Arguably easier to use too.

-Kurt

Old 07-03-20, 11:55 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
If you do go with rivnuts, my pro-tip is not to use stainless ones. The stainless rivnuts I've used were impossible to "set" using anything but a press or vise, which required access to the backside of the rivnut (or the special rivnut setting tool, which is probably expensive). Aluminum or brass ones can bet "set" with just a screw and a nut.
Old 07-04-20, 12:04 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’ve been using these Zefal Gizmos for a second water bottle mount on my ‘79 Miyata’s seattube for years without concern. They are very secure - haven’t touched ‘em for at least 10 years. Yes, it helps that it’s a black bike, so black electrical tape basically doesn’t show. I see there’s a Mk II version know and can’t comment of those.

Likes For Dfrost:
Old 07-04-20, 03:15 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
If you do go with rivnuts, my pro-tip is not to use stainless ones. The stainless rivnuts I've used were impossible to "set" using anything but a press or vise, which required access to the backside of the rivnut (or the special rivnut setting tool, which is probably expensive). Aluminum or brass ones can bet "set" with just a screw and a nut.
I own a Jeep so I use rivnuts all the time, the small rivnuts use a tool no more expensive that a standard river gun it’s the big ones that require the expensive tool
Old 07-04-20, 11:01 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Stainless steel also promotes corrosion of any non-stainless bolt (unless it's titanium). Might even promote corrosion of the steel tube, though this is less likely because of the frame's large surface area dissipating any electrolytic current.

I sure wouldn't drill and riv-nut a double-butted frame, but heavier straight-gauge tubing might be ok.