Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pain on outside of right foot over time

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-27-20, 02:41 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

I would love some help to see what adjustment to make with my cleat on this one. Left food is without issue, no fatigue or paint. The right foot, about 30-45 min into the ride, I start to develop some pain and fatigue in the outside of the foot from the arch to around the 5th metatarsal. I am sure the answer is complex but where should I start as far as moving the cleat? Any other areas I should look at for cause?
Old 06-27-20, 03:12 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Most likely causes are, not enough arch support and cleat placement. I'd start by adjusting your cleat...rotate it so that your heel is pointed more inward (towards the frame), and make sure it isn't too far back from the ball of your foot.
If that feels better, but still not great, then add more arch support.
Old 06-27-20, 06:38 PM
InvertedMP 

I have high arches so that might be it. I didn't even think about doing insoles but that is probably gonna be the ticket. I will adjust the cleat so the heel goes more inward a bit and try again.
Old 06-27-20, 07:27 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Arch support is real game changer, once you get it right. Specialized insoles have worked well for me, and are cheap enough that you can experiment with them, without breaking the bank. They come in three different heights
Old 06-28-20, 06:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
You might benefit from cleat wedges. I use one on my left cleat only, even with my custom cycling shoes with custom footbeds.

Google bikefit cleat wedges.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-28-20, 10:04 PM
InvertedMP 

So I bought the green and blue Specialized footbeds to try. I rode today for about an hour with the green inserts and no pain, so that’s good, but I did an easier ride today. Gonna off day tomorrow then really ride on Tuesday with the blue inserts to check those out.
Old 06-30-20, 02:51 PM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Same issue and fix for me as well (so far)- arch support is a life changer.

If you can't get a hold of the specialized brand supports, Superfeet carbon are a good alternative, though designed for flatter feet, it provided my monstrosity of an arch with adequate support to rid of any hot spots or discomfort I'd traditionally get cresting over the 3-4 hour mark.

Couple worthwhile considerations beyond arch support;
1. Pedal washers: uncompensated forefoot varus positioning, which is very common, will ultimately place more pressure down on the outer edge of the foot. A quick trick to compensate, though unlikely to 'rid' of the problem completely, is by widening your stance with a washer or two.
2. Saddle height: too high? Maybe you're extending the hot spot side to compensate for the additional reach.
Old 06-30-20, 03:42 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by markynels
Same issue and fix for me as well (so far)- arch support is a life changer.

If you can't get a hold of the specialized brand supports, Superfeet carbon are a good alternative, though designed for flatter feet, it provided my monstrosity of an arch with adequate support to rid of any hot spots or discomfort I'd traditionally get cresting over the 3-4 hour mark.

Couple worthwhile considerations beyond arch support;
1. Pedal washers: uncompensated forefoot varus positioning, which is very common, will ultimately place more pressure down on the outer edge of the foot. A quick trick to compensate, though unlikely to 'rid' of the problem completely, is by widening your stance with a washer or two.
2. Saddle height: too high? Maybe you're extending the hot spot side to compensate for the additional reach.
Thanks so much. I did 23 miles on the blue Specialized footbeds today. the pain was reduced a lot but was still feeling the pressure on the outside of the foot. I do have washers on the pedals right now. The seat height is an interesting thing. I do tend to wobble a bit during sprints so that might be it, and although I am left handed, I am right foot dominate and tend to put lots of power down and up on the right foot, over my left so maybe I am a bit too high, although when measuring my seat height I dont feel like I am over extending in stroke, but maybe I am.
Old 07-01-20, 06:38 AM
DaveSSS 

I still suggest cleat shims. There should be written articles on why they work. In your case the, the thick side will be on the inside of the right cleat, just opposite of what you might think. My left foot tilts down on the inside, causing my speedplay cleat wire to rub on the pedal spindle. One shim with the thick side on the outside of the cleat cures that problem.

https://blog.bikefit.com/bicycle-cle...compatability/
Old 07-01-20, 09:44 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I still suggest cleat shims. There should be written articles on why they work. In your case the, the thick side will be on the inside of the right cleat, just opposite of what you might think. My left foot tilts down on the inside, causing my speedplay cleat wire to rub on the pedal spindle. One shim with the thick side on the outside of the cleat cures that problem.

https://blog.bikefit.com/bicycle-cle...compatability/
Very interesting, I will look into cleat shims. Thanks!
Old 07-03-20, 05:24 PM
InvertedMP 

I have cleat shims on the way but I think ultimately, I was sitting too high. I lowered the seat considerably over the course of 3 rides until today, ultimately doing a half century ride today so I spent several hours on the bike. No outside foot pain!
Old 07-04-20, 06:59 AM
DaveSSS 

My rule of thumb for saddle height is your heel should be able to drop 1-3cm below horizontal, with the leg fully extended at the bottom of the stroke. That's a fairly large range, but if the heel won't even reach horizontal, it will force a fairly radical heels up pedaling position.
Old 07-06-20, 04:06 PM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I have cleat shims on the way but I think ultimately, I was sitting too high. I lowered the seat considerably over the course of 3 rides until today, ultimately doing a half century ride today so I spent several hours on the bike. No outside foot pain!
Awesome news, thrilled to hear it helped!