Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless - How much more cushion?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 09:00 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

This is directly related to helping me determine my next bike. I've noticed that it's very difficult to find road tires over 700x38. I'm riding Panaracer Paselas right now, and with the roads I'm on, it's not enough for me. My rims have 17mm internal width. With the combined weight, the charts tell me I should put the tires at 60psi in back and around 52-55 in front. This feels and handles great, but with all the broken pavement, I put the back closer to 50 and the front around 45. Never a pinch flat in 5 years, but I don't like the way they handle and feel and still not enough cushion.

So for those of you that have gone tubeless, how much more cushion will I get from going to a wider rim, say 23mm IW, and 38mm tubeless?

Don't get me wrong; I plan on going tubeless in the next step. IMO, there are too many advantages aside from tire suspension. The wheel format is the question. My wife just went from 26x1.5 to 26x1.75, and she is thrilled with the change. So if I can't get very close to the effect off going to a tubed 44mm, I'll probably shop for a bike suitable for 650b road+ tires.

Last edited by JWK; 07-04-20 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-04-20, 09:31 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
There’s more push in’ for the cushion.

sorry, had to say that. Free bump!

I run tubeless also. I can’t quantify how much improvement it offers but all the advantages of tubeless and wider tires than I had ran with skinny roadies previously are worth it.
Old 07-04-20, 02:12 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Night and day difference going from 700x32 tubed @ 60 psi to 700x35 tubeless @ 40 psi. I no longer notice the bone chattering crappy potholed filled roads anymore.
Old 07-04-20, 03:05 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Well, my Roubaix has 25c tubed Rubino Pros and my Domane has tubeless 32c GP 5K at 60 psi. No comparison between the two. The 32s really knock down the vibrations from our wonderful chip and seal roads. How much is due to tubeless? Don’t know because I jumped straight to 32s and tubeless. All I know is that I like the ride and that’s what counts. FWIW, I didn’t have issues with flats on my Roubaix. 5500+ miles and I can count the number of flats on one hand. I just wanted to try tubeless.

Last edited by Ilbiker; 07-04-20 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-04-20, 03:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
PSI depends on more than your rim width and tire width; it also depends on your weight, road surfaces, and riding style. Depending on those variables, you might be able to run 700cx38 tires as low as 32/35 front/rear, or thereabouts. If you also go with relatively supple tires (look at the Rene Herse offerings, for example), you'll get a smooooth ride.