Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

New member restrictions

Old 07-03-20, 11:29 AM
Nick68620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member restrictions

I understand there must be a lot of spam posted hear, but the new member restrictions are going to hurt engagement more than spammers!

Telling a new member they must have 10 posts prior to being able to post pics/links and then restricting each new member to 5 responses or posts in the first 24 hours on top of that? Not to mention, the restriction not allowing new members to private message at all, even if they have a message showing in their inbox!

I joined this forum for feedback to a question I had, so I posted my question, answered a few comments but then ran out of responses to anyone who has written on my post. On top of that, new members cannot private message! How is someone to engage as a new member and really connect with what this group has to offer? Any recreational group online or in person has a short time to gain member attention/interest for long term engagement and being so restrictive is a HUGE turn off.
Old 07-04-20, 05:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
IME, most people who have something useful to contribute haven't had an issue. Their knowledge and insight aren't diminished by waiting a few days to share.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-04-20, 03:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick68620
I understand there must be a lot of spam posted hear, but the new member restrictions are going to hurt engagement more than spammers!
You have no idea how wrong this assumption really is. In the past I personally have spent hours and hours of my personal, unpaid, volunteer time banning hundreds of spammers in one day. Yes, HUNDREDS. Many forums have been so swamped with spam that the site has been abandoned. We don't want that to happen to us.

Telling a new member they must have 10 posts prior to being able to post pics/links and then restricting each new member to 5 responses or posts in the first 24 hours on top of that? Not to mention, the restriction not allowing new members to private message at all, even if they have a message showing in their inbox!
Again, spammers have used the PM system to spam forum members. Those two minor restrictions give us time to sniff out most of the spammers before they ever get a chance to send out their stuff.

I joined this forum for feedback to a question I had, so I posted my question, answered a few comments but then ran out of responses to anyone who has written on my post. On top of that, new members cannot private message! How is someone to engage as a new member and really connect with what this group has to offer? Any recreational group online or in person has a short time to gain member attention/interest for long term engagement and being so restrictive is a HUGE turn off.
Most of our new forum members have no issue with going to our Introductions forum and telling us a bit about themselves. After that they say hello to a few other new forum members and they are fully in. Only takes two days.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-04-20, 05:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
If someone just got a bike and has a problem or question and joined to get a quick answer, I can understand frustration at having to wait 2-3 days to post a picture of the issue etc., but realize most members here are long-term residents who like the fact that there is minimal spam etc.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-17-20, 02:47 PM
cvrle1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
While I understand why you are doing this, and other forums do it as well, for topic specific forum it is kinda hard to get to 10 posts when you are new and dont know much about topics of discussion. As an example, I cant add anything useful to 99% of threads in the forum, and I dont want to just post for the sake of posting to get to that 10 post count. I would like to post a thread about new bike that I got, post pics and and ask questions, but since I cant post pics until 10th post, it is pointless to start new thread until then. Catch 22 sort of a thing
Old 07-17-20, 06:42 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Originally Posted by cvrle1
While I understand why you are doing this, and other forums do it as well, for topic specific forum it is kinda hard to get to 10 posts when you are new and dont know much about topics of discussion. As an example, I cant add anything useful to 99% of threads in the forum, and I dont want to just post for the sake of posting to get to that 10 post count. I would like to post a thread about new bike that I got, post pics and and ask questions, but since I cant post pics until 10th post, it is pointless to start new thread until then. Catch 22 sort of a thing
What kind of bike did you buy?
Old 07-18-20, 09:13 PM
cvrle1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
What kind of bike did you buy?
Sorry, would have answered yesterday, but reached my 5 posts a day limit lol.

It is Cannondale R600-Sport. Just posted new thread and bunch of pics about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...h-me-luck.html
Likes For cvrle1:
Old 08-24-20, 07:57 PM
Synmag

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had the same experience

I went and introduced myself, said hello, responded to some threads and found myself locked out for a day. Perhaps as a compromise allow new users to respond to people in their own thread at least?
Old 08-27-20, 09:23 AM
pbpbbq

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Synmag
I went and introduced myself, said hello, responded to some threads and found myself locked out for a day. Perhaps as a compromise allow new users to respond to people in their own thread at least?
I think I understand what you mean, and that's not a bad idea. I just joined and was at first surprised by the restriction. I've felt sort of guilty over the last few days, posting just to get to 10. I like to think that what I've posted hasn't wasted folks time or annoyed anyone. I'm not quite sure about the metaphysics here, but this post itself marks my 10th.
Old 08-27-20, 12:08 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I understand the frustration. I signed up last year and read way more than I post; I find that I learn more than I can contribute. Plus, it seems most of the posters are male and I'm female - I'd have more in common with women cyclists.
I found out recently there's a women's forum and you have to request admission. Guess what? You need to have at least 50 posts before they'll consider letting you in. I give up.
Likes For Rhondito:
Old 09-02-20, 02:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I urge people to offer their experiences. Not every post has to have some defensible opinion or deep insight. I know I would have thousands fewer post if that were the case. Probably more than 19000 fewer posts.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-05-20, 09:18 AM
buffetlove

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhondito
I understand the frustration. I signed up last year and read way more than I post; I find that I learn more than I can contribute. Plus, it seems most of the posters are male and I'm female - I'd have more in common with women cyclists.
I found out recently there's a women's forum and you have to request admission. Guess what? You need to have at least 50 posts before they'll consider letting you in. I give up.
Same here. Now I'm trying to make a few posts. Disappointed about the women's forum requiring so many posts.

Last edited by buffetlove; 09-05-20 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-20, 09:54 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
When I came to the Bike Forums I was surprised at the restrictions but understand the purpose.
My humble opinion is that the rules should stay the same. ( The general site politics could use some help though) lol
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 09-05-20, 04:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhondito
I believe there have been some creepy men who have found their way in the past. Hence the tighter scrutiny. (Don't worry - this man only remembers this from reading innocent posts in the forums I am allowed in.)

We have periodically had spammers who have found new methods that worked and drove their entire ship through the opening, making a big mess of things. Sadly, the forum administrators have to tighten up getting in a little more each time that happens. Stick around. This place is worth hanging out and the PITA entrance is only once. Stick around long enough and you will appreciate the huge amount of work those administrators do.
Old 09-06-20, 06:59 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
To Rhondito and buffetlove

The 50 post requirement is an old, old measure that has since been eliminated. Currently, if you wish to have access to the women's forum you need to contact administrator Siu Blue Wind. We welcome you to Bike Forums!

Buffetlove, let's get those next 5 posts in order to free yourself from the noobie restrictions. You can just go to the Introductions forum and welcome five new members to easily reach 10.
Likes For BillyD: