Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll; a new type hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 10:14 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1

Added a Jandd frame bag.

Thanks! Still a work in progress, added new Shimano Derore dual use pedals today and finished up the XPEL paint protection on each bike. Lights I have.
I have huge respect to what you are doing with these bikes. They look like military grade and i really like it. The handlebar seems great for comfort. I don't know if it is the original saddle but it also looks awesome. How comfy is it? The simple and cheap drivetrain is more than enough for me. 27.5 inch wheels will probably accelerate much faster than my 700c. Maybe slower but I am not about speed anyway. I am all about comfort. These tires will require no suspension either.

I think this is a relatively new model. I haven't seen it listed in my country's Specialized dealer's website. I will call them and ask. Thanks for the awesome photos sir.

PS: Is that a suspension seatpost? I mean this could be the most comfortable commuter I have ever seen, geez.

Last edited by Newspaper_Nick; 08-30-19 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 08-30-19, 06:27 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
I have huge respect to what you are doing with these bikes. They look like military grade and i really like it. The handlebar seems great for comfort. I don't know if it is the original saddle but it also looks awesome. How comfy is it? The simple and cheap drivetrain is more than enough for me. 27.5 inch wheels will probably accelerate much faster than my 700c. Maybe slower but I am not about speed anyway. I am all about comfort. These tires will require no suspension either.

I think this is a relatively new model. I haven't seen it listed in my country's Specialized dealer's website. I will call them and ask. Thanks for the awesome photos sir.

PS: Is that a suspension seatpost? I mean this could be the most comfortable commuter I have ever seen, geez.
These are wonderful bikes, we are glad we added them to our stable. They do have suspension seats and you might be surprised at how fast they are. 😊 As a military veteran I have enjoyed this build. You won’t be disappointed with a Roll! My wife and I ride 25 miles or more when we hit the rail trails.
Old 09-02-19, 11:42 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I just went to my local Specialized dealer this morning and, after an impressive test drive of a floor model, ordered the basic model Roll Low Step in the icy mint blue color. It won't be in until approx. the end of September The wait is going to be agonizing!
Old 09-07-19, 01:03 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been kind of off & on with my riding, but I have done 171.1 miles since August 1. Not crazy, but I’m pretty pleased. Put the Brooks B67 on probably August 4th or 5th. Really liking it.
I know I’ve said this before, but really can’t help myself. This is really a great bike for me. The low entry is perfect for me at my age & weight & my replacement body parts. It really is a pleasure to ride.
Planning a Katy Trail ride with some friends in October. Using Herman as a home base & riding west one day & east the next. Not sure what we’ll do the 3rd day. The other 4 guys are all younger than I. They’ll ride farther each day than I will. I’ll be “forced” to turn around early and go back to Herman & drink wine. Oh, poor me.
Old 09-09-19, 10:01 PM
Foxy45
Foxy

Bikes: Giant Cypress, KCRp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cup

Originally Posted by suncruiser
I've only put 60 miles on mine so far but I absolutely love it! I love the upright riding position, and this thing scrambles up hills so much better than my district. It is a mite slower than the district, but the ride is so nimble and comfortable it makes up for it. The suspension seat is a gimmick though, it barely ever actually moves.
The so called cup is too hard. No Flex and seems clunky. Might try and change it up or adjust if possible.
Old 09-11-19, 05:58 AM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxy45
The so called cup is too hard. No Flex and seems clunky. Might try and change it up or adjust if possible.
It is too wide in the nose area for me so on a short ride it feels great but I notice rubbing on my thighs after about 30 minutes or so. I went with a Selle Anatomica H1 but any seat designed for an upright riding position can work. Well in theory at least. I also like the Selle SMP line of saddles, the lower end of the line are more cushioned and designed for less aggressive riding position. I also swapped the seatpost for a regular non suspension.
Likes For coyboy:
Old 09-11-19, 10:50 PM
Foxy45
Foxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roll Sport vs Giant Sedona

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Specialized Roll; a newtype hybrid?

Giant has been making Comfort bikes like the Roll for 20 years. The Sedona and Cypress is of this design. I love my 2018 with its bolt upright seating position and 2" semi-knobby tires. It is so comfortable I feel I could ride it forever. At low to moderate speeds these bikes work very well. And with the right gears (Sedona has a 21 gear inch low) climbing pretty much any hill is childs play despite the bikes relative bulk.

I might have considered the Roll myself if my local bike shop carried them. Looks like a fine bike, Enjoy!

I just looked it up here in Canada. It won't work for me. Being 5' 6" stand over height is important, And the Sedona is over 3" lower with the same frame size. I also like the smaller tires (26" vs 27.5") on the Sedona for the same reason.
It was a bit of of toss up to either get the roll or the Sedona. I chose the Roll Sport, thought it was a bit faster and definately lighter. I however really liked how comfortable the sedona was and now second quessing myself on going for the sedona as i did like the lower gears as i will be riding where there are some fairly steep hills.Giant has a better drive train.
Old 09-12-19, 05:10 AM
Newspaper_Nick

"Low entry" version. Not mine

Last edited by Newspaper_Nick; 10-08-19 at 03:11 AM.
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 09-12-19, 06:07 AM
coopman

Nice looking bike, Nick. I have a low entry Roll in the gloss acid mint on order, due to arrive near the end of the month. I went with the low entry because I'm not getting any younger and wanted something that would be easy to get on and off of.
I have yet to see a pic of a Roll in this thread with a rear view mirror mounted on it. Are all of you using a helmet mounted mirror, or a Take a Look mirror or just no mirror at all?

Last edited by coopman; 09-12-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-12-19, 06:09 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Originally Posted by coopman
Nice looking bike, Nick.
I have yet to see a pic of a Roll in this thread with a rear view mirror mounted on it. Are all of you using a helmet mounted mirror, or a Take a Look mirror or just no mirror at all?
Oh sorry dude but it is not my bike. I am looking into buying one though.
Old 09-12-19, 06:15 AM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Roll Nick!!
Old 09-12-19, 06:42 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quick question for the owners. I see that there is quite a rise in the handlebars. Have you ever experienced a "slip" of the handlebars within the stem during an emergency brake situation. What i mean by slip is the bar slipping forward inside the stem because of the forward force that you exert to the bars with your body weight during a sudden brake.
Old 09-12-19, 07:33 PM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quick question for the owners. I see that there is quite a rise in the handlebars. Have you ever experienced a "slip" of the handlebars within the stem during an emergency brake situation. What i mean by slip is the bar slipping forward inside the stem because of the forward force that you exert to the bars with your body weight during a sudden brake.
Never experienced that on my Roll. If you are experiencing that, the bolts on the handlebar clamp is most likely the culprit. Just use the appropriate hex wrench and in a cross pattern see if all the bolts are tighten appropriately. The manual should reference the appropriate torque range. If you are unsure, call your LBS and they should help you out.
Old 09-13-19, 10:02 AM
Foxy45
Foxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slip

Yes , i experienced that on my Giant Cypress. Just tighten the handle bar bolts with a hex tool. Always best to carry one with you. Once the handlebars slip the bike is basically unridea.ble
Old 09-15-19, 10:21 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
We have (2) Rolls my wife rides one and I the other. Never have experienced the issue you mentioned. Great bikes for sure.
Old 09-29-19, 05:35 PM
Meech33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 38 Posts
I just purchased a Roll about a month ago. I enjoyed it so much I convinced my wife that she needed one also. I've got the Sport model and she has the Comp 1X low entry.
It may not be suitable for higher speed long distance rides as the seating position is a little too relaxed but for anything sub 20-30 miles at cruising speeds it's amazing!
This may literally be the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
Likes For Meech33:
Old 10-02-19, 06:02 PM
coopman

I ordered a Roll Sport Low Entry this morning. I had to cancel my prev. order. Apparently there is a serious out of stock issue with the basic Roll low entry models so I decided to step up to a Roll Sport to get a color that I liked and to get things moving. I really wanted that glossy mint teal color low entry bike, but in the end had to settle for the lighter sky blue color. But, I'll have 21 gears instead of 7, and mech. disc brakes instead of the rim caliper brakes. So I think that I can live with that.
Likes For coopman:
Old 10-06-19, 04:59 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
I ordered a Roll Sport Low Entry this morning. I had to cancel my prev. order. Apparently there is a serious out of stock issue with the basic Roll low entry models so I decided to step up to a Roll Sport to get a color that I liked and to get things moving. I really wanted that glossy mint teal color low entry bike, but in the end had to settle for the lighter sky blue color. But, I'll have 21 gears instead of 7, and mech. disc brakes instead of the rim caliper brakes. So I think that I can live with that.
Should be a lot of fun to ride. Really a neat looking bike for sure.
Old 10-08-19, 02:47 AM
gazz

Bikes: '19 Trek DS3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I especially liked the "low-entry" version. Very easy to hop on and off. I like these kind of innovations. Not all of us necessarily need a diamond shaped frame, maybe back in the day when forging techniques weren't up to par, diamond shape was a necessity, but not anymore. I am pretty sure this frame can take hell of a beating and survive, unless you try to "downhill" with it.
Hi Nick i’m considering the Roll low-entry to replace my wife’s heavy Jamis explorer step through. Do you have figure for the weight of this model? Tried finding it, but no luck. Cheers
Old 10-08-19, 03:12 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Originally Posted by gazz
Hi Nick i’m considering the Roll low-entry to replace my wife’s heavy Jamis explorer step through. Do you have figure for the weight of this model? Tried finding it, but no luck. Cheers
Unfortuntaly i don't own one of those. It is still on my "to do" list.
Old 10-08-19, 04:27 AM
gazz

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Unfortuntaly i don't own one of those. It is still on my "to do" list.
Sorry mate jumped the gun there after looking at that nice photo of it. My fault for not reading he rest of the thread.

coopman - have you got a ballpark figure of the weight of the low-entry? Thanks
Likes For gazz:
Old 10-08-19, 05:46 AM
coopman

I have not taken delivery of it from the LBS yet.
Old 10-08-19, 08:51 AM
Meech33

My wife a Low Entry Roll in size Small. I'll try to weigh it for you when I get home this evening and let you know.
Old 10-08-19, 01:51 PM
Meech33

Just weighed my wife's small low entry x1 comp........33lbs.
Likes For Meech33:
Old 10-09-19, 09:14 AM
gazz

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Meech33
Just weighed my wife's small low entry x1 comp........33lbs.
Thank you Meech33, appreciate your help with that. Pity the weight is about the same as her Jamis (32.5lbs) so might have to look at other options. Cheers, gazz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.