Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Swapping wheels on a Venge disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 11:45 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

So i am trying to figure out wheels for my in-coming Venge.

Had settled on CL/CLX50s for now and then getting Enve 7.8s later.

But the Spesh guy is telling me that because of differences in hub sizes, i might have alignment issues with the disc brakes.

Is that true? And if so, how easy would it be to fix the alignment for someone who is reasonably capable of wrenching his own bike (but who doesnt necessarily like to muck around with this too much)?
Old 11-09-19, 12:40 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Don't listen to that guy...you're not going to run into any issues.

12x100 front, and 12x142 rear has become the standard, and your Venge and the CLX's/Enve's all come with that standard. Now, if you had an older disc brake bike with the 135mm axel, then you'd be more limited.

PS. I wouldn't bother getting the Enve's. The CLX 50's are a phenomenal set of wheels.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 11-10-19, 12:49 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I just put on a pair of HED Belgium Plus rims with DT 240 hubs on my '18 Roubaix, and while I initially thought that I might have some adjustment issues, I only had to adjust the disc brakes a tiny bit. There's plenty of travel room for adjustment within the brakes themselves, so I wouldn't worry about it. Although, I have heard that older Specialized bikes do have some issues with wheel swapping, so I'd check to be certain.
Old 11-10-19, 01:05 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Thanks for the answers, guys.

This issue was raised by the Spesh dealer, who said that the spacing of the hubs was different, and so the centerline would be different.

Never having used disc brakes on a road bike before, i had/have no idea if this is an issue or not.

The bike in question is a current-model Venge Pro.
Old 11-11-19, 01:05 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Thanks for the answers, guys.

This issue was raised by the Spesh dealer, who said that the spacing of the hubs was different, and so the centerline would be different.

Never having used disc brakes on a road bike before, i had/have no idea if this is an issue or not.

The bike in question is a current-model Venge Pro.
I believe this is true. It is one the reasons that some top pro riders are resistant to riding disc wheels; Compatibility with neutral support wheels. My understanding is that the disc position can be different enough to drag or not fit all together.
Old 11-11-19, 05:52 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
I’ve owned three disk brake road bikes. And I have a backup wheel set. All have been interchangeable. If the wheels are true, the calipers rarely if ever need to be adjusted when swapping wheels. If the wheels are out of true, I sometimes need to re-center the calipers.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 11-11-19, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I believe this is true. It is one the reasons that some top pro riders are resistant to riding disc wheels; Compatibility with neutral support wheels. My understanding is that the disc position can be different enough to drag or not fit all together.
Non-issue for non-racers. If one set of wheels has a slightly different disc position, you can shim them so that no adjustment is necessary upon swapping - it's a one-time job that's very simple. If you can't be bothered to shim, you can take an extra 20 seconds, per wheel, per swap, to wedge the calipers apart to give them enough room to center on their own.

Contrast that with the salesman, who seems to be suggesting a major hassle or downright incompatibility with other wheels - it's BS.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-11-19, 08:54 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Awesome - have decided to go with the CLX50s for now, and then add the Enves later.

Thanks again for the help, guys.
Old 11-11-19, 09:24 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Non-issue for non-racers. If one set of wheels has a slightly different disc position, you can shim them so that no adjustment is necessary upon swapping - it's a one-time job that's very simple. If you can't be bothered to shim, you can take an extra 20 seconds, per wheel, per swap, to wedge the calipers apart to give them enough room to center on their own.

Contrast that with the salesman, who seems to be suggesting a major hassle or downright incompatibility with other wheels - it's BS.
The salesman might have been thinking the Venge had Specialized SCS spacing.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-11-19, 10:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The salesman might have been thinking the Venge had Specialized SCS spacing.
I was thinking that too, but I think they only did SCS for one year, pre-Venge disc, though I could be mistaken.
Likes For topflightpro: