Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Right Clothing

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Right Clothing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 06:52 AM
Temple111

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right Clothing

So i am cheating a little as i am only 49 and 1/2!

Just bought my first bike for years ans i'm a little overweight, i'm looking to buy some clothes and don't want skin tight Lycra just yet!

Any one found something practical and doesnt look stupid on a mid aged rounded fellar!
Old 04-30-20, 07:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
How far are you riding? Up to 5 miles you can perhaps get away with blue jeans. Somewhere between 5 and 10 miles, you'll start to appreciate shorts that don't rub inappropriately, or catch on the saddle when you're boarding or sitting.

You might also want to check out the clydes and athenas forum (look for the new embarrassed rider thread).
Old 04-30-20, 07:19 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
"MAMIL" - middle-aged men in lycra. No matter how we may think we look cool in them, they rest of the population does not share that view. IOW, wear what's comfortable, and when you're ready for lycra, you won't look any better.
Likes For mpath:
Old 04-30-20, 07:28 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Like you (I think), I'd rather stop wearing lycra too early than too late. I've opted for MTB pants which are very comfortable. At times I wear lycra shorts with tennis or similar shorts over them so only a few inches are visible near the knee - compression like. I still wear bike jerseys but have moved to loose fit.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-30-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I used to buck the system and wear clothing that was normal looking to non-cyclist's. So anything you want that doesn't have a lot of bulky seams in the crotch and bottom. I also highly recommend you don't wear any cotton material to cover body parts that move and rub against each other or that rub on the bike saddle.

And that goes for underwear too. Gets some sports underwear that is made of synthetic material. When sweat gets on cotton material it becomes very abrasive and will loose any support that it may have given you. Synthetic material will hold it's shape and stay form fitting when wet or dry.

After you've ridden a while and start getting into longer and longer rides, the mamil concept will start to make sense. Might take a year or two, but if you continue to cycle for several hours at a time, you'll be posting a question.... "bibs or shorts"
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-30-20, 08:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Temple111

Just bought my first bike for years ans i'm a little overweight, i'm looking to buy some clothes and don't want skin tight Lycra just yet!

Any one found something practical and doesnt look stupid on a mid aged rounded fellar!
Cycling clothing is built for performance. Shorts are tight because they are designed to move with you rather than chafing as you pedal. I don't see a problem, but if this bothers you, you can either opt for mountain biking shorts or alternately, throw a pair of loose fitting gym shorts over your tight fitting bike shorts. Jerseys are cut more form fitting than a loose t shirt so they don't flap in the breeze, and with back pockets to keep your stuff out of the way as you pedal. And front zippers so you can get some relief on hot days. But you can find jerseys that are a little more relaxed fitting if you are a little heavier or feel a bit self conscious. You may also need to check the sizing as some brands idea of XL or XXL might not be your idea of those sizes..
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-30-20, 09:15 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Embrace the lycra! You don't know where the weight will come off of. Wear what's comfortable!

I've always worn cyclist clothing, even on my spin bike.
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 04-30-20, 09:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Google "padded cycling liners". You can wear them under anything. On top, anything you have around the house. Experiment. If it's warm, a synthetic T-shirt works fine. Jersey pockets are nice but unnecessary, especially on short rides, say under 20 miles or so.
Old 04-30-20, 01:12 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Temple111
Not to worry. That's 346.5 in dog years.

No "cycling kit", as the folks on GCN would say, for me.
  1. In cold weather, I wear those fleece sweatpants, with possibly some long underwear if it's really cold, along with layers of fleece sweatshirt (if it's really cold out) or undershirt, topped by a construction orange or safety green sweatshirt, and construction orange fleece hoodie, with regular work gloves for keeping my hands warm. On colder days I put the hoodie up, then stick my helmet on top.
  2. In warm weather, it's just the orange or safety green sweatshirt and some cargo pants.
  3. My only concession to cycle-specific clothing is my padded cycling liner shorts. In place of jersey pockets, I just use an old fanny-pack from ages past.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 04-30-20 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-30-20, 01:39 PM
DDzBike

Bikes: Giant Anyroad Comax

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
MTB shorts with padded liner and a T=shirt does it for me in the warm weather
Likes For DDzBike:
Old 04-30-20, 01:57 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I used to buck the system and wear clothing that was normal looking to non-cyclist's. So anything you want that doesn't have a lot of bulky seams in the crotch and bottom. I also highly recommend you don't wear any cotton material to cover body parts that move and rub against each other or that rub on the bike saddle.

And that goes for underwear too. Gets some sports underwear that is made of synthetic material. When sweat gets on cotton material it becomes very abrasive and will loose any support that it may have given you. Synthetic material will hold it's shape and stay form fitting when wet or dry.

After you've ridden a while and start getting into longer and longer rides, the mamil concept will start to make sense. Might take a year or two, but if you continue to cycle for several hours at a time, you'll be posting a question.... "bibs or shorts" "Bibs or NOT BIBS"
fify
Old 04-30-20, 02:17 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I commute and wear moisture-wicking black golf shorts with a belt. The pockets come in handy for holding my gloves, and I carry my keys in my left front pocket, tethered to a belt loop. I wear a belt-mounted holster for my phone. I know this sounds like a major chafing operation, but I have done 6 hours with no problems.

I also wear a slightly loose moisture-wicking hi-vis athletic jersey (non-bike specific).

In the summer I add a neck-gaiter/shade and sun-sleeves. In the winter I add layers as needed.

"Hello, ladies!"
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-01-20, 03:28 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
I wear lycra and happy with it. Bike specific clothing is the best for well, cycling so why not wear it. Don't worry about what others say or think, the ones who may make sarky comments are often the ones way over weight and couch potatoes.

Anyway, at 61 I reckon I'm too old to be a MAMIL!
Old 05-01-20, 05:05 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
MTB shorts with padding and a bright yellow or orange long sleeve pull over fishing shirt with high UV rating,padded fingerless gloves,Brooks running shoes and helmet.......will never ever be seen in a "kit"
Old 05-01-20, 05:56 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I have bike shorts with a padded insert , a couple of zippered pockets and they work well. I ride vintage racers , so wool jerseys with a thermal underneath unless it is hot out. The shorts are loose and the jersey snug.
Old 05-01-20, 10:02 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Google "padded cycling liners". You can wear them under anything. On top, anything you have around the house. Experiment. If it's warm, a synthetic T-shirt works fine. Jersey pockets are nice but unnecessary, especially on short rides, say under 20 miles or so.
Yup on the padded liners, they are great.
Old 05-01-20, 10:44 PM
SpindriftEd

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Look in the gravel bike shorts, they aren't as baggy as MTB shorts and not form fitting like road shorts.
Old 05-02-20, 09:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I simply wear T-shirts and Champion rugby short that are pretty much cut off sweat pants. But then I ride recumbents.
Old 05-02-20, 09:37 PM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Basketball shorts over padded cycling lycra shorts. Love the padding and the basketball shorts will usually ride up a little revealing the cool bike shorts underneath.
Likes For ecsuser:
Old 05-03-20, 01:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
When I resumed cycling in 2015 after many years away, I wore whatever shorts and t-shirts I already had. But as my fitness improved and my goals got tougher, I eventually gave in and resumed wearing form fitting kit on my road bike (not on my hybrids -- I still wear casual clothes for those rides).

Form fitting kit is safer, not just a little more aero. In spring we get some pretty fierce winds and loose fitting clothing can make it a chore just to hold a steady line in a ripping crosswind. Almost every ride I've taken the past month has been in 15-30+ mph wind, often with unpredictable gusts. Snug clothing gives the wind less to grab and use as a sail. It's reassuring on rural two-lane highways when drivers sometimes misjudge passes and don't quite give me enough distance. Being able to hold a steady line helps us all.

Not a big deal when I'm enjoying a relaxing 10-12 mph cruise on my hybrids. But on a downhill blast at 40 mph with a tailwind and crosswind gusts from passing vehicles, every little bit helps keep things steady.

The past couple of rides I wore jerseys that are somewhat form fitting, but not race fit or aero jerseys for time trials -- I have those and wear them often, but the weather suddenly heated up this weekend and my other slightly relaxed jerseys are cooler fabric. The race fit/aero jerseys use some slick, thick plasticky fabric around the shoulders that supposedly makes them slippery in the wind, but the fabric doesn't breathe as well.

I could feel a bit of difference in crosswinds, between the jersey types. My not-quite-aero jerseys flapped very slightly around the sleeve hems and sides, just enough to remind me I wasn't wearing aero kit.

The aero kit is a bit faster too, especially if I include an aero helmet (rounded, few or no vents, not the full TT/race type with elongated fins or tails). It's usually good for an extra 1 mph over my usual 20-50 mile routes. But I don't go for new personal best times every ride so I don't wear the aero helmet often. It's not as comfortable as my regular vented road helmets. But it also helps with crosswind stability.
Old 05-03-20, 01:34 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Pants, shorts and liners

I had prostate issues and discovered padded liners which helped when it was bad, and now post successful treatment, are very comfortable. Though it does feel like a filled diaper at first .

I have MTB and other wicking shorts for the warm weather and “active” slacks for the cool days. The slacks are often called commuter pants. I feel these are appropriate as a senior. I just feel Lycra is pretentious for someone my age on a hybrid bike. My wife, though, thinks the tights are hot.

I do like cycling shirts for their bright reflective colors, cooling and pockets.
Old 05-04-20, 04:45 AM
David Bierbaum

There are four boxes to check off, to know if you are dressed for biking.
  1. Not naked (this one is important)
  2. Pants not shredded by chainring (I've had this happen to me)
  3. Happy butt: Saddle sore formation under control
  4. Clothing not turned sticky and icky by sweat-drenching
If you have these four covered, you're good to go. Everything else is based on personal preference...
Likes For David Bierbaum:
Old 05-04-20, 09:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
1. Not naked (this one is important)
You know that there are organized naked rides that actually happen. Google it.
Old 05-04-20, 05:37 PM
David Bierbaum

Originally Posted by Iride01
You know that there are organized naked rides that actually happen. Google it.
How outrageous! They should at least be wearing helmets and socks!!!
Old 05-04-20, 07:30 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I am 77 and ride with a full kit including bib shorts and a jersey I get from a club I joined; once you get over a few miles you will get a raw crotch without a pair of shorts with a chamois. If you are overweight get a "club cut" jersey. If you keep riding you can eventually wear "race cut" because you will lose weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.