Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Right jersey fitting?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Right jersey fitting?

Old 05-01-20, 10:00 AM
grumbledook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right jersey fitting?

I'm new on this forum, so first of all hello to everyone.

I have a question regarding jerseys I bought recently. I'm not sure if they fit the way they are supposed to.
The blue jersey seems a bit short on the waist and tight on the neck, it puts a bit of pressure on the throat when zipped all the way up.
The red jersey is a little loose, but comfortable.
They are both BL brand (although different logo, so I'm not sure if it really is the same brand).
They are both size M.
I can't attached photos, but if you remove the space from URLS, it wiill work, so take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks.

Spoiler

Old 05-01-20, 10:15 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I can't see the photos. Jerseys are designed to be longer in the back to allow for riding positions.
Old 05-01-20, 10:37 AM
grumbledook

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
I can't see the photos. Jerseys are designed to be longer in the back to allow for riding positions.
Thanks for replying Toni.

I was unsure if the blue jersey was too short on the front size, it seems to end just an inch below the navel.

Problem with the photos is I could not paste the valid urls, because of the newbie limit. So I added the urls with the space after the 'https', you could see them if you c/p the url in address bar and remove the space. I know it's a chore, but I really wanted to hear forums opinion .

Last edited by grumbledook; 05-01-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 10:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Correct. A good jersey is cut to be comfortable in a riding position. And I prefer mine snug. Tight actually. If it's loose, it will flap in the wind, which is both annoying and inefficient.
Old 05-01-20, 12:27 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Fit is all personal, but if it is uncomfortable, it doesn't fit properly.

I'm a big guy, and I've got wide shoulders and neck, so I size up and as such jerseys on me tend to fit snug up top and looser around the belly. That said, I got a couple I cannot zip all the way up to my neck, which otherwise fit well so I keep them.
Old 05-01-20, 05:17 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
For me, the red is too short, and the blue even shorter.
How tall are you?

Barry
Old 05-01-20, 06:02 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
For me, the red is too short, and the blue even shorter.
All clothing manufacturers do their sizing this way. It's a psychological thing.
Old 05-02-20, 12:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by grumbledook
I'm new on this forum, so first of all hello to everyone.

I have a question regarding jerseys I bought recently. I'm not sure if they fit the way they are supposed to.
The blue jersey seems a bit short on the waist and tight on the neck, it puts a bit of pressure on the throat when zipped all the way up.
The red jersey is a little loose, but comfortable.
They are both BL brand (although different logo, so I'm not sure if it really is the same brand).
They are both size M.
I can't attached photos, but if you remove the space from URLS, it wiill work, so take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks.

Spoiler

Looks like a normal race fit jersey. They're intended to wear with bibs, and tend to run a bit shorter in the waist. With bibs no skin will show around the midriff or lower back.

I have a couple of similar jerseys from Pearl Izumi. Yeah, the zipper can feel a bit snug at the throat. I usually unzip it to the suprasternal notch, the hollow at the base of the throat just above the sternum/clavicle. I'm not racing so nobody is going to dock my check for failing to zip up before the finish line. And I doubt pulling the zipper an inch or so down will cost me any KOMs -- I'd need a better engine more than a more aero jersey for that.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-02-20 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-02-20, 07:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
^^^^ Welcome to the world of cycling where buying apparel is exasperating at first. Race fit or Pro fit will be extremely tight on most non-pro or non-Cat racers. You might want to consider Club Fit for jerseys. They are a little more generous in the neck and torso for bigger riders. Also, manufacturers have their own sizing, nothing is uniform. For instance, I am usually an XL in US sizes but will have to size up to XXL or even XXXL with Chinese or Euro jerseys.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-02-20 at 07:19 AM.