Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Worth changing up saddle/seatpost to improve indoor trainer comfort

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 05-07-20, 05:41 PM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

As I start to fiddle with my bike fit, I'm curious if any of you guys have made changes specifically to improve indoor riding that you wouldn't do on a road bike. Like extra cushy saddles or fancy seatposts? I'm finding my current saddle is probably too stiff for me and am contemplating getting an ISM saddle.
Old 05-07-20, 06:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've noticed a big difference in comfort between 2 different composite seatposts (S-Works CG-r >> Giant D-fuse) but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one to only use it indoors. Stand regularly is free, and I discovered that my least comfortable bibs for outside riding were the most comfortable indoors (ymmv).
Likes For surak:
Old 05-07-20, 08:38 PM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by surak
I've noticed a big difference in comfort between 2 different composite seatposts (S-Works CG-r >> Giant D-fuse) but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one to only use it indoors. Stand regularly is free, and I discovered that my least comfortable bibs for outside riding were the most comfortable indoors (ymmv).
I was thinking about a CG-R, but it's just too pricey. I have a carbon Ergon CF3 on order from Aliexpress right now which I heard is pretty comfy. I am currently using a Zipp Service Course SL (older one with no carbon). I've got some Santic shorts on order now too. I have two shorts that my dad gave me, but the padding is real thin, and they don't fit me well.
Old 05-08-20, 05:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've put a lot of miles on Zwift with an smart trainer but found that the seat and seat position that works on the road works best for me inside, too. If you are out of the saddle a lot outdoors, you might have to force yourself to do so indoors.

My riding outdoors also usually has me putting my feet down periodically at red lights, stop signs, intersections, etc. So, I stand on the pedals periodically indoors just to off load my butt similar to what happens when i ride outdoors and the same seat/position works fine.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 05-08-20, 07:37 AM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I've put a lot of miles on Zwift with an smart trainer but found that the seat and seat position that works on the road works best for me inside, too. If you are out of the saddle a lot outdoors, you might have to force yourself to do so indoors.

My riding outdoors also usually has me putting my feet down periodically at red lights, stop signs, intersections, etc. So, I stand on the pedals periodically indoors just to off load my butt similar to what happens when i ride outdoors and the same seat/position works fine.
Yea, I guess biking while standing up on the trainer just feels very weird to me. It doesn't feel efficient and sometimes is even more tiring than biking sitting down. Not sure if this is just something I need to get used to with the trainer?
Old 05-08-20, 08:03 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
My goal is to make my indoor riding as similar to outdoor riding as possible... so "no", I don't do anything special for indoor riding.

I learned quite a while ago that if your seat is too hard (especially indoors where there are no road bumps), it's likely that your tushy is out of shape and not the saddle. I always wondered how racers could ride hundreds of miles on seats that have almost no padding... now I know.
Old 05-08-20, 10:55 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
You could look into rocker plates to help with comfort indoors, some people say they help a lot. I set my trainer up on some rubber playground tiles that I use for deadlifting and it gives a little wobble to the whole setup but my arse is used to long days in the saddle.
Old 05-08-20, 02:17 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
I did change the Saddle on my Wahoo to match my road bike.
The Saddle that it came with the Wahoo was not terrible, but my Fizik was better.

I've since changed the road bike to a carbon saddle, assuming comfort is better still, the Wahoo will be following along shortly.

Barry
Old 05-08-20, 04:34 PM
SlvrDragon50

I've got my Saris H3 on a thick yoga mat which helps a little bit. I would love to try out the Saris MP1, but it's just way too pricey, and I also don't have the space for it in my apartment.

I think I'll try another saddle at least. I've only ever had this SLR Italia which is the lowest endurance rating so I might just not have a good fit. Whenever I was biking outdoors, it was only commuting to/from class and <15 minutes. With this trainer, I jumped straight to like hour long rides so there's definitely some conditioning to be done, but I just can't imagine that it's normal to have this much pain/hot spotting in <30 minutes of being on the saddle.
Old 05-12-20, 10:31 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I always wondered how racers could ride hundreds of miles on seats that have almost no padding... now I know.
When racing they are also probably putting out more W/kg than the average casual rider, so the saddle pressure is a lot less.

In addition to that, they are sitting on a more race/aero position which puts saddle pressure on a different part of the sit bones, whereas we are a bit more upright and face "different" struggles. This is also part of the reasons why ultracyclists like to use aero bars for ultra endurance racing, saddle pressure is noticeably lessened while on the aero bars.

Last edited by atwl77; 05-12-20 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 09:41 AM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by atwl77
When racing they are also probably putting out more W/kg than the average casual rider, so the saddle pressure is a lot less.

In addition to that, they are sitting on a more race/aero position which puts saddle pressure on a different part of the sit bones, whereas we are a bit more upright and face "different" struggles. This is also part of the reasons why ultracyclists like to use aero bars for ultra endurance racing, saddle pressure is noticeably lessened while on the aero bars.
That's actually something I thought about. Aerobars indoor seem like it would make indoor cycling a whole lot more comfortable. But I'm trying to sort out my saddle issues before I go and do that since I know I should be able to do more than an hour without any discomfort.
Old 05-14-20, 10:35 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
That's actually something I thought about. Aerobars indoor seem like it would make indoor cycling a whole lot more comfortable. But I'm trying to sort out my saddle issues before I go and do that since I know I should be able to do more than an hour without any discomfort.
Yeah, aerobars will certainly improve on comfort but you also have to get used to riding in that position...... though oddly enough, is somewhat easier indoors on a trainer, than outdoors, mainly because you don't have to keep your eyes on the road and can just have your head down (or staring down at the computer/tablet/phone screen).
Old 05-14-20, 10:43 PM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by atwl77
Yeah, aerobars will certainly improve on comfort but you also have to get used to riding in that position...... though oddly enough, is somewhat easier indoors on a trainer, than outdoors, mainly because you don't have to keep your eyes on the road and can just have your head down (or staring down at the computer/tablet/phone screen).
Ahhh... so I take it aero bars are not good if you want to watch TV in front of you unless you want some neck pain... I've just been putting my arms down on my bars, but I never hold it for more than a few seconds.
Old 05-14-20, 11:03 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
Ahhh... so I take it aero bars are not good if you want to watch TV in front of you unless you want some neck pain... I've just been putting my arms down on my bars, but I never hold it for more than a few seconds.
Well, you could
1) train yourself to ride in this position, so that you can also ride outdoors this way

or
2) lower your TV

or
3) add spacers to the aerobars (if it supports it, such as some Profile Design aero bars) to raise the height of the aerobars
Old 05-20-20, 06:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I changed the saddle so it's the same as my road bike. I have used the one I switched from on the road too, but it turns out it's not as comfortable on a trainer as it is on the road.