Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1978 Holdsworth Frame Upgrades

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-03-20, 02:54 AM
davefidd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi! I want to fit my Holdsworth Special frame with modern carbon fibre fork/stem/handlebars&seatpost, wheels and crank/pedals. I'm new to this and I'm looking for some help to chose the right parts and see what's possible. Thanks!
Old 06-03-20, 09:08 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
There's a thread here dedicated to that sort of thing. Almost anything's possible:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html
Old 06-03-20, 10:59 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I'll check that out!
Old 06-03-20, 11:24 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by davefidd
Hi! I want to fit my Holdsworth Special frame with modern carbon fibre fork/stem/handlebars&seatpost, wheels and crank/pedals. I'm new to this and I'm looking for some help to chose the right parts and see what's possible. Thanks!
Sounds like a great project. There are many members here who have 'modernized' vintage frame/forks. The good news is that you can usually find an ample selection of options for modern components that will bolt right onto a vintage frame (with some fiddling occasionally).

In order to get specific with answers to your questions - pictures, certain frame/component measurements, and other info. will help. Once you have 10 posts you can start posting pictures - then answers will be easier - and then you can avoid ordering stuff that won't work with your Holdsworth.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-20, 04:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
Well, here are some considerations on your front end: You can go with a 1" threaded carbon fork (Nashbar used to sell a cheap one), which would likely mean you could use your existing headset. An important measurement is from the dropouts to the top of the crown (AC); ideally, you'll find a fork with the same AC distance as you have now, which would allow you to use your same front brake (though it's possible it's nutted mount while any fork you find will be recessed mounted--a different problem to solve). Or you could go with a 1" threadless carbon fork, which would mean a new headset and my note about the AC distance and brake reach would still apply.

For cranks, plenty of carbon cranks around at a really wide range of prices. Depends on whether you want compact gearing (e.g. 50/34t rings) or something more racy. One nice thing about modern cranks is that they're usually sold with bottom brackets or at least you have the option to buy one at the same time you buy the crank. That's good because the types of BBs has really proliferated with modern bikes, but you'd be looking at one for a BSA-threaded/68mm BB shell.

Whatever you plan on doing, I'd first want to you answer if this frame is worth hanging these parts on, all of which will probably cost you a significant number of coins when all is said and done. Of course, you can try and ride it for a bit and then move on to something else to hang these parts on if it's not working out.
Old 06-04-20, 02:17 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Jlaw! I'll send pics and measurements asap!
Old 06-04-20, 02:07 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Thanks Jlaw! I'll send pics and measurements asap!
One important consideration is how you want to use this bike - road riding? Grocery getter? Randonneur? Gravel bike? Commuter?

There are many possible set ups and some offer greater flexibility of use - and this in turn effects some of the new component choices - crankset, wheel size, handlebars, gearing.....
Old 06-04-20, 02:27 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply Jlaw! I'd say mainly for commuting and moving around the city centre. Nothing extreme..
Old 06-04-20, 02:50 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
If the bike is for commuting and getting around town, you don't really need a carbon fork and all the carbon bits. That will help keep the cost down.
Old 06-04-20, 03:04 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's more because I already have a modern fixie which weighs about 11.5kg and I carry it up and down the stairs quite often at my workplace and at home so my idea is to build a lightweight fixie. On the top of that I like the modern and vintage look combined. Hence the choice to go for carbon fibre components (where possible).
Old 06-04-20, 09:39 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Keep it original. Nothing beats the look of a classic Holdsworth.

Old 06-04-20, 10:23 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Keep it original. Nothing beats the look of a classic Holdsworth.

I hate to also be that guy, and we're pretty good at not being that guy around here, but I agree
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-05-20, 02:53 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha I totally get you guys and I do like and appreciate a gorgeous vintage bike like the one in the pic, but for this specific project I decided to go for new components and vintage frame Hope you are still up for helping me out!
Old 06-05-20, 11:34 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Haha I totally get you guys and I do like and appreciate a gorgeous vintage bike like the one in the pic, but for this specific project I decided to go for new components and vintage frame Hope you are still up for helping me out!
Yeah no worries, you'll get good help in this section of the forum no matter what.
Old 06-05-20, 12:48 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I hate to be that guy too, but it is your bike. Save all of the parts.
Old 06-05-20, 01:35 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
there are a ton of advantages for going fixie or single speed in town and on public transport--- and getting the weight down so its easy to sling up and climb stairs... often many flights.

My advice would be to not go too far and permanently modify the frame itself - but just strip it down and do what you want. save the original fork if you have it.

where are you at Dave? If you are in SF i probably have some parts if you want. i could trade you some CF stuff - i have a crank, forks (depending upon the frame size), and i think some bars.. id trade you for the original parts off the special if you still have them.
Old 06-05-20, 05:56 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jlaw! I'd say mainly for commuting and moving around the city centre. Nothing extreme..
I think I will play devils advocate here. A vintage Holdsworth is not a commuting bike. Get it done up right.
And buy yourself a nice hard tail mtb for commuting lots can be found cheap.

Any chance of seeing some pics of the Holdsworth?
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 06-06-20, 02:16 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Jetboy, yeah that's pretty much what I want to achieve and one of the main reasons why I want to put together a bike with such features. Unfortunately I live in Scotland, sorry pal!
Old 06-06-20, 02:18 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here some pics

Old 06-06-20, 02:20 AM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jlaw you can see some pics now
Old 06-06-20, 03:26 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Hi! I want to fit my Holdsworth Special frame with modern carbon fibre fork/stem/handlebars&seatpost, wheels and crank/pedals.

Just kidding! Sometimes an old frame is just begging for a little "hotrodding".

Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 06-06-20, 10:05 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Beautiful frame and fork. You should be able to upgrade and make it somewhat classy.

I would highly, highly, highly, highly, highly, highly suggest keeping the original fork. Attempting to get a carbon fork will be difficult to match the threaded fork that you have now. Like almost impossible and it will likely greatly affect the ride geometry of how the bike currently feels. Things to keep classic and will greatly help your build would be frame, fork, theaded headset, and quill stem. You can get a quill to threadless adapter stem and that will make it easier to use modern threadless stems and.modern bars.

Bottomed bracket might be special (others will tell you better than me) and the rear dropouts of the frame may need to be spread (aka cold setting, someone else can chime in with advice for that).

Good luck.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-06-20, 10:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I went 1" threaded to 1" threadless with a new fork and Cane Creek headset. Stem by Deda.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-06-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 02:02 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks mechanicmatt I'll think of all this before committing to a new carbon fork and thanks for all the other tips!
Old 06-06-20, 02:04 PM
davefidd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Wildwood ! Which fork did you use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.