Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Storing Bike Tools: Show me your machinist tool box, storage chest or rolling cabinet

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Storing Bike Tools: Show me your machinist tool box, storage chest or rolling cabinet

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 12:10 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts

Over the years, I've become slightly obsessed with bicycle work spaces, shops, tools and tool storage. In my past workshop I hung it all on a massive pegboard. It looked awesome, everything was in reach but it was just so... much. Plus those damn metal hooks were always falling off.
Thinking to auto mechanics and motorcycle mechanics, you never see pegboards. Only, it seems, in bicycle shops. The most used tools in an auto shop are the same as ours plus combination wrenches so why no love for the pegboard? I'm curious about that but without losing my topic focus, it got me thinking that maybe having my gear put away in a labeled, organized manner is a better way to go.

So, I am asking for your images and experiences with vessels to store bicycle tools. Things like those gorgeous, wooden delights known as machinist tool boxes, standard metal tool boxes and rolling tool cabinets. Come at me with your best images and experiences so people searching for this very same thing in the future can have a solid repository of information to sink their teeth into.
Old 06-05-20, 01:24 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
I have tried various solutions, but always came back to this simple box. Not as easy to grab the correct wrench in a split second as when it's on a peg board, but for schlepping my tools around the house and taking them with me on trips it works great. The biggest advantage, I find, is not having to think about what tools to take along on a trip. I just close the box and put it in the car. Except for my headset cup press it contains all my tools, and a small cardboard box with an assortment of bits and bobs and small spares that might come in handy (like a spare seat post binder bolt).

Old 06-05-20, 04:49 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
A little drop of hot melt glue will keep those peg board hooks in place.

The variety and usability of bicycle tools is interesting. Probably over 70% have a single use, so keeping them at hand makes little(space saving)
sense. Wall space is at a premium, so I use rolling tool boxes.

Oh yes, the Campagnolo kit lives in it's box.

rusty
Old 06-05-20, 06:24 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I spent my younger working years as an HVAC mechanic and, electrician. Later, I obtained an Engineering degree and became a construction manager. Tried all sorts of tool boxes & rigging bags. In my shop the tool box must have drawers & be able to roll around. I've never wanted all my stuff on a peg board on the wall. That's it. That's all. Done deal.

Also, notice the neat plastic bins next to bike in picture. I can disassemble an entire bike (minus frames & wheels) into one of these bins. Keeping everything together. So, if I have to do multiple projects I can put the bike on the shelf for a while. These particular bins are from Walmart and sold in the pet department as kitty litter trays.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 06-05-20, 08:04 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
The peg boards in a bike shop would seem to perhaps better suit their use and organization by a number of mechanics, versus each mechanic having their own roll-away of tools as in automotive shops.
The rollaway is also suited to moving a mechanic from one service bay to another.
The peg board approach also facilitates the owner keeping track of any disappearance of tools, as where the public is perhaps allowed to enter and use the service area.

I like pegboard-style tool storage for the ability to mark each of several similar tool's size in plain view, versus a rack of sockets that all look the same but for a 1mm difference in size. To this end, my sockets and sized wrenches are collected from all different brands of pieces, each socket/wrench size thus distinguishable from near-same adjacent sizes by their unique appearance. Such is one advantage of shopping for such tools at flea markets and pawn shops!

The shallow drawers of a rollaway are awesome for keeping large sets of say Dremel tools, files or tapping tools in one place, yet still easy to pick from.

Open shelving and Akro-Mills mini-drawers also have a significant presence in my shop.

Another form of storage I exploit are cut-down boxes (left about 3-4" high) with extra layers of cardboard glued into the bottom. A filler panel takes up the space between the side flaps and covers the slot between the main flaps. Then a second panel glued in on top of that leaves a smooth surface and in total creates laminated board-like stiffness for holding piles of heavier parts like bottom brackets or freewheels.
Likes For dddd:
Old 06-05-20, 08:52 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I am not a toolbox guy. Over 25 years as a woodworker, and I've never used any sort of drawer unit with more than 4-5 drawers in it. All the drawers in my shop right now are used to hold raw materials, save for one-- which is chock full of taps and dies.
For tools, I'm all about pegboard. I have so, so much pegboard. For the whole shop, it has to be around 8 sheets worth, easily over 200sq/ft of it. They now make these hooks that won't fall out-- I go through them at an alarming rate.

My workstation is what it is-- a bike area that moved into an already existing woodshop. so in the middle of the shop, the bike tools share space with a bandsaw, combo sander, and Bladerunner.

To the left of that is the workstand, fitted with a tool caddy for the most commonly used tools. The workstand is of the table-mount variety, clamped into a woodworker's vise (of course.)

Just behind that is... well, most everything else for bikes, I suppose. Bike bits, fasteners, wax pots, etc. This corner used to house a scroll saw and lots of clamps.
Old 06-05-20, 10:56 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts

Likes For jiangshi:
Old 06-05-20, 12:03 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I prefer my tools on the wall. I'm a carpenter and have to lug my tools in a tool box from job to job and it's a pain keeping them organized.

Last edited by branko_76; 06-05-20 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 03:18 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
I picked this up from a garage sale last year for $50. Had me smiling for a month.

I wish Some guy wants 2 grand for it on my local Craigslist... https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...132337828.html
Old 06-05-20, 05:11 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
My apologies if this is off-topic but for my work shop, I prefer my tools on the wall. I'm a carpenter and have to lug my tools in a tool box from job to job and it's a pain keeping them organized.

This is what I was used to in my shop days and decided I'd repeat it in the garage, but that has not happened yet. The old basement had a nice full-length bench with a yellow board that never got the tools mounted. It's been the Craftsman toolbox for about 30 years now, first on that basement bench and right now it's on a rolling cart.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-05-20 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-05-20, 05:37 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I'm kinda 'meh' on pegboard myownself. But boy, do I love magnetic strips! I've got a bunch of them lined along the window side of my shop:

Yes, I do live in a rain forest. And no, it's not a happy home for leather saddles
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 06-05-20 at 07:28 PM.
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 06-05-20, 05:41 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Y'see, I have a forest out back and that's why I need windows in the back wall, hopper or awning windows high up with the tool board below. It'll happen.
Old 06-05-20, 05:41 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Lascauxcaveman , that is not only practical, but very pleasing to the eye as well

I don't like peg-board much either, that's why I used some reclaimed fir plywood. I laid everything out with the boards flat on some saw horses, mounted the hooks and then the whole thing to the wall.
Old 06-05-20, 05:47 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Mine is not so fancy. And I don't have a lot of stuff.

Tools. Spares. Consumables.

Basement77 by iabisdb, on Flickr

And I just organized my smalls.

2020-06-05_06-42-21 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 06-05-20, 06:21 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Valentines gift from my wife 14 years ago.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-05-20, 10:58 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Definitely a toolbox guy. I like to work outside when possible and it's also handy if I have to go on the road to wrench.

Old 06-05-20, 11:36 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
I knew this post wouldn't disappoint. I want to thank everyone for showing their spaces and telling how they do what they do. This is all really valuable to me.

Originally Posted by dddd
Another form of storage I exploit are cut-down boxes (left about 3-4" high) with extra layers of cardboard glued into the bottom. A filler panel takes up the space between the side flaps and covers the slot between the main flaps. Then a second panel glued in on top of that leaves a smooth surface and in total creates laminated board-like stiffness for holding piles of heavier parts like bottom brackets or freewheels.
This may be one that I have to see. Pictures please!

Originally Posted by 100bikes
A little drop of hot melt glue will keep those peg board hooks in place.
This is one of those simple ideas that I can't believe I haven't ever thought of or heard before. So. Easy. I'm going to absolutely try that.

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Also, notice the neat plastic bins next to bike in picture. I can disassemble an entire bike (minus frames & wheels) into one of these bins. Keeping everything together. So, if I have to do multiple projects I can put the bike on the shelf for a while.
That is a fantastic idea. Even if you only work on one bike at a time, having a bin like this makes sense. Putting dirty parts on a clean work space is counter productive.

Originally Posted by jiangshi
By far my favorite setup.
Old 06-06-20, 06:09 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I have a lot of tools as I do a lot of things, bicycles being just part of it. The bike specific tools are kept in three places. The seldom seen are up in the loft. The frequently seen are in this Craftsman tool chest we got from our "hay guy" for $5. Nice condition after I cleaned it up and made an insert tray for the top compartment. The most frequently seen hand tools are kept in the workbench in a half motor oil bottle. You'll see that I've cut a few motor oil bottles in half, cleaned them out and use them to organize my tools. I also have a couple of translucent plastic boxes that torx drive deck screws from Home Depot come in. Good solid boxes with a snap lid - for storing odds and ends.

The rest of the tools are all over the shop, waiting for the call for wood working, metal working, electrical repair, tractor repairs, who-noz-watz-next repairs.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 06-07-20, 08:52 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
to my mind throwing tools in a box is anti-organization. I also feel that pegboard
is limiting. my tool board is plywood and the tools hang on nails.
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 06-07-20, 09:18 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
I thought I had pix handy- but I have a gray 60s rolling Craftsman chest with 2 drawers and an opening top on the top- that used to be my Grandfather's. There's also a red rolling Craftsman chest probably from the 80s that used to be my wife's Grandfather's.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.