Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road tubeless?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Road tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 12:50 PM
bretttt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road tubeless?

Hi everyone-
I have a 2016 Domane and it has the Bontrager Paradigm comp TRL wheels. I can just barely get a Hutchison tire on it (running it with tube) so I'm curious A) is there a fast tire that is easier to get on these rims or B) should I just run them tubeless? Anyhow, I would love to know if anyone has any recommendations.

Thank you!
Old 06-08-20, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Getting a tire on easily is more a matter of learning to do it. You have to keep the bead of the side you are working on down in the spoke channel when things start to get tough briefly. Or you can get some well built tire levers I've never had to use. Others will be along soon with recommendations for them.

Even with tubeless, you will have the effort of getting the tire on the rim if you do ever have to change them. And I've heard that they are even worse for getting on. So possibly that won't bode well for changing them easily roadside and in a hurry to get back with the group. But I've no experience with real tubeless tires on a real tubeless rim.
Old 06-08-20, 01:27 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I will tell you this: I have Hutchinson Fusion5 tires on 3 of my bikes, 2 of them are tube type and one has Fusion5 All season tubeless. The tubeless wheels were by far the easiest to mount. Mind you, I have been running road tubeless for getting close to 10 years, so I know all the tricks to mounting them and my wheels (Campagnolo Shamal 2Way fit) are amongst the easiest to work with
Old 06-08-20, 01:35 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Some tubeless-ready rims are so tight that a conventional rim strip puts them over the top on tightness - using a tubeless rim strip like Stan's might help.
Old 06-09-20, 03:00 PM
bretttt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Getting a tire on easily is more a matter of learning to do it. You have to keep the bead of the side you are working on down in the spoke channel when things start to get tough briefly. Or you can get some well built tire levers I've never had to use. Others will be along soon with recommendations for them.

Even with tubeless, you will have the effort of getting the tire on the rim if you do ever have to change them. And I've heard that they are even worse for getting on. So possibly that won't bode well for changing them easily roadside and in a hurry to get back with the group. But I've no experience with real tubeless tires on a real tubeless rim.
Thanks! I've been changed tubes for 25 years or so; it just seems this combo seems to be super hard or almost impossible to get on.
Old 06-09-20, 03:02 PM
bretttt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! what's the feel like riding or racing on road tubeless?
Old 06-09-20, 04:01 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Tubeless feels a little bit nicer than a tube, but it's not as dramatic as some press makes it out to be. You can potentially run lower pressures with much less risk of pinch flatting. Depending on what causes punctures in your area, sealant is likely to seal nearly all punctures you experience. If you get a large puncture it can be messy and you still need a tube. Sealant needs to be added every 4-6 months or so, although you can do this simply by removing the valve core and squirting some in.

I'm a fan, but I tend not to recommend it for people who let their bikes sit for longer periods of time and who dislike maintenance. One of the major advantages for me (aside from literally never having a non-sealing flat on any tubeless setup, knock on wood) is that you can run much lighter construction tires and rely more on the sealant to seal punctures.

I would never recommend buying road tubeless tires and using them regularly without a tube because they are harder to install and remove. This will be a bit better without the tube but the tolerances need to be fairly tight and honestly fitment between various tires and rims is still poorer than it should be, so some combinations can really suck.
Old 06-09-20, 04:37 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I will tell you this: I have Hutchinson Fusion5 tires on 3 of my bikes, 2 of them are tube type and one has Fusion5 All season tubeless. The tubeless wheels were by far the easiest to mount. Mind you, I have been running road tubeless for getting close to 10 years, so I know all the tricks to mounting them and my wheels (Campagnolo Shamal 2Way fit) are amongst the easiest to work with

I have been using the Fusion 5's for quite a while. I have them on two bikes now, both clinchers. I have no issues getting them mounted on the rims, or getting them off. I have used 25 and 28mm's. They are one of my favorite tires.

Last edited by delbiker1; 06-09-20 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more info