Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to me tubular rim tape

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-12-20, 10:42 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts

I just discovered Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape for mounting tubular tires. I love the stuff!! No mess, no fuss, and the plastic cover tape does not tear at all when it's pulled our from under the tire. The only other such product I've tried was the Tufo stuff, and by comparison it sucked. No more messy, smelly mastic for me.
Old 06-12-20, 12:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
check out https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-tubular.html

Old 06-12-20, 01:42 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
I just discovered Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape for mounting tubular tires. I love the stuff!! No mess, no fuss, and the plastic cover tape does not tear at all when it's pulled our from under the tire. The only other such product I've tried was the Tufo stuff, and by comparison it sucked. No more messy, smelly mastic for me.
The usual complaint about tape is about changing a spare on the road... got a story about that?
And it's not "tubular rim tape"... it's tubular adhesive tape, otherwise some folks will be confused... or think you're confused.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-12-20, 02:07 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Yeah, I've used the Carogna too, and think it's nice stuff. Easy to mount, really strong, clean, and you can adjust the tire all you want to get it dead straight before pulling the backing away and activating the bond. I would recommend it for 'cross bikes no doubt.

As for changing a tire on the road, with great effort you can pull a Carogna tire off. The adhesive stays on the tire completely. So you have a bare rim, and a tire with a neat gummy layer permanently bonded to it. If you're able patch that tire, I think it would make a good spare. The stuff is still tacky.

Your options at that point are to just put down a little glue and mount the spare, or whatever else you'd do with a bare rim and a spare tubular.

I can't see ever using anything else for cyclocross. For my road bike, I still use regular old Vittoria Mastik. It's messier and more time consuming, but I've done the process a lot, and with road tires you're not messing around with umpteen million layers glue and Belgian tape and the tires tend to seat dead straight without much futzing around. So I don't mind carrying on the tradition. Mastik weighs less, if that matters. And it would seem to have a more direct bond rim to tire, without a mm or so of rubbery gel that might squirm a bit. Biggest factor, though, is that it's a lot less expensive.

But if you want to do tubular tires, and hate the thought of glue, I'd definitely give the Carogna tape a try.
Old 06-12-20, 03:48 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The usual complaint about tape is about changing a spare on the road... got a story about that?

And it's not "tubular rim tape"... it's tubular adhesive tape, otherwise some folks will be confused... or think you're confused.
"Tubular rim tape, tubular adhesive tape, whatever terminology you're comfortable with so long as we both know what we're talking about The point is the stuff makes mounting a tubular easier than any other method I've tried. I stick to relatively bulletproof tires like Conti sprinter gatorskins or Grand Prix 4000's and the roads up here are kept pretty clean compared to CA, so I haven't had a puncture in the past year. However, I did have to pull one off a rim I'd just built with one spoke head in when it should have been head out. Little embarrassed that I didn't catch it until I'd mounted the tire and given it 48 hours to set up. Yes, it was difficult to get the first few inches rolled off, but nothing that'd blister a thumb. After that, the tire and tape pulled cleanly off the rim with less effort than a glue job. The tape came off with the tire, leaving a clean rim surface. On the road situation, I'd simply mount the replacement tire dry and take it easy on the way home. Even on a dry rim, a properly inflated tubular will stay put unless severely provoked. At least that's been my experience. YMMV

What I don't understand is why they couldn't have given it a better name than "carrion"

Last edited by bmcer; 06-12-20 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The tire maker covers the stitching with a glued on tape.
Old 06-12-20, 09:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've been using the Carogna as it's difficult to get glue in Hawaii (no one will ship it to you and only one LBS carried glue and that was Continental which I wasn't excited about). Have had zero problems with it just it's kind of expensive. The maker says to mount a spare dry and just be very careful going home in "limp back" mode. I carry sealant and have never had to change a tire on the road, don't even bother carrying one now. I have pulled tires and getting the tape off of the basetape is a bit of a chore. (I run Veloflex Arenberg 25s).

scott s.
Old 06-12-20, 09:45 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I've been using tape for close to 20 years now. I've never had an issue. I use Tufo.
Old 06-13-20, 09:23 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
$20 to mount 2 tires? Ouch.
Old 07-25-20, 10:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've ended up with more old tubular wheels than I care to admit to. They keep showing up on old bikes, . It has been a long time since I've glued a set of tubulars and, in spite of the price, this tape seems like a good solution. There's a lot to be said for tubulars if riding an old racing bike.
Old 07-25-20, 12:14 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I would like to find the best tape that facilitates changing on the road.