Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Shimano cassette missing rivet pin

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 10:05 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Just purch'd a new 7-speed HG-41 cassette from an eBay bicycle-parts seller.
Noted that one of the three rivet pins is is missing (see rear photo).

Looking at from view may reveal why -- the spacer has no provision for third pin.

Not sure how common this is.
But won't get a flush mounting for rear/freehub interface (not without adding a minor shim or similar)
EDIT:
I just stuck a toothpick in the hole, and it goes in about 2.5mm before encountering resistance (pin from the top spacer??).

Last edited by elcyc; 06-13-20 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 10:12 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Think of the weight savings. Now you’ll have more time to wave at people while riding on the sidewalk. I seriously hope you’re riding carbon wheels!
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 06-14-20, 12:54 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Remove the other two pins and you can take the entire cassette apart for a thorough cleaning of the individual cogs when they get dirty/grunged up.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-14-20, 02:11 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
But won't get a flush mounting for rear/freehub interface (not without adding a minor shim or similar)
Are you sure? On Shimano freehub bodies, the stops that the cassette sits against are on the "raised" portions, with the "valleys" going farther inboard, which should leave room for the rivets.

If you use a spacer, to fit it on a wider freehub body, the spacer will need to be shaped to accommodate the rivets. If you have a spacer that does not accommodate the rivets, it's fairly easy to check how the rivets align with the spacer (when they're mounted on the freehub) and file those spots down a little to make room.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-14-20, 03:45 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
Noted that one of the three rivet pins is is missing....won't get a flush mounting for rear/freehub interface ....
You’re worrying over a non-issue. The base of the splined freehub body isn’t a smooth flange. It’s notched to provide clearance for the rivets. It’ll fit just fine as it is.
Old 06-14-20, 04:38 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Uh.... no, toots ... I ain't ... 'cause some of us "non-issuers" ...

Originally Posted by dabac
You’re worrying over a non-issue. The base of the splined freehub body isn’t a smooth flange. It’s notched to provide clearance for the rivets. It’ll fit just fine as it is.
Uh.... no, toots ... I ain't ... 'cause some of us "non-issuers" actually do have to use one of these flat spacers which come in direct contact with those rear rivet heads:

Hmmm .... I think a small pieces of Al foil, folded over 3x may work.
Old 06-14-20, 08:10 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Shimano Spacer

IIRC a SRAM compatible freehub plus one of these will fit a Shimano cassette.
my Mavic wheels came with just such a 3 notch spacer.
Plus a 1mm spacer, never did work out what that’s for!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-14-20, 10:11 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Here's an image of a 6-speed Uniglide cassette I took off a wheel. When I took it off the cogs were a black/brown colour from the buildup of the grunge on them. Being able to take that cassette apart enabled me to do a thorough cleaning of all the individual parts. This is what was under that grunge. I wish I'd taken a Before image.

I now do this with all my cassettes = remove the pins so I can use individual cogs and spacers.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: