Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seat post bolt for early 50s rebuild

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-21-20, 08:36 AM
Andiroo99
Brit Rider

Bikes: Mercian King of Mercia (1983), Balance XR-550 (1993), Surly Cross Check, 1948 Condor British steel lightweight.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi

Rebuilding an early 50s classic british lightweight. Balancing mix of ridability with authenticity. Usually I would go for campag bolt but not sure its ideal for this fitting. Any suggestions?

Regards

arb

Likes For Andiroo99:
Old 06-21-20, 08:44 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Oh, I want to see this when it’s finished!
Old 06-21-20, 08:52 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Inside diameter and the nominal span across the lugs might be useful info to have.

Here's the seat post bolt from a 1950 R.O. Harrison frame:

The bolt is 35 mm (1-3/8") long below the head, with a rounded head (no flats or other means of holding it) that's keyed as you can see. The unthreaded part of the shaft is 7.8 mm (0.307", not quite 5/16") in diameter, and the nut is a "pierced acorn" type. I suspect that the washer may be a replacement -- I at first thought it was brass, but I think that's just some sort of yellowish chromate corrosion coating.

The one on a 1950s R.J.R. (early Bob Jackson) is virtually identical, with a thinner washer, which also might be a replacement.

Somewhere or other around here there's the bolt for a late 1950s F.W. Evans too. Seatpost clamp lugs on all 3 bikes look pretty much the same, but they're the formed/bent type, not brazed-on tubes like you have (which are similar to later (80s) frames I have, such as a Serotta, a TSD Guerciotti, a Motobécane Team Champion and Specialized Expedition.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 06-21-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 08:55 AM
Andiroo99
Brit Rider

Bikes: Mercian King of Mercia (1983), Balance XR-550 (1993), Surly Cross Check, 1948 Condor British steel lightweight.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Will get out the calipers later today.
Old 06-21-20, 02:14 PM
Andiroo99
Brit Rider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi

The outside span is 0.82" (2.08cm) and the inside diameter of the hole is 0.31" (0.78cm).

Any further thoughts on vintage or more modern (but suitable) options?

Arb

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Inside diameter and the nominal span across the lugs might be useful info to have.

Here's the seat post bolt from a 1950 R.O. Harrison frame:

The bolt is 35 mm (1-3/8") long below the head, with a rounded head (no flats or other means of holding it) that's keyed as you can see. The unthreaded part of the shaft is 7.8 mm (0.307", not quite 5/16") in diameter, and the nut is a "pierced acorn" type. I suspect that the washer may be a replacement -- I at first thought it was brass, but I think that's just some sort of yellowish chromate corrosion coating.

The one on a 1950s R.J.R. (early Bob Jackson) is virtually identical, with a thinner washer, which also might be a replacement.

Somewhere or other around here there's the bolt for a late 1950s F.W. Evans too. Seatpost clamp lugs on all 3 bikes look pretty much the same, but they're the formed/bent type, not brazed-on tubes like you have (which are similar to later (80s) frames I have, such as a Serotta, a TSD Guerciotti, a Motobécane Team Champion and Specialized Expedition.
Old 06-21-20, 02:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Bolts like that are readily available for a couple of quarters. A dozen for €4.90, to be precise:

https://www.internet-bikes.com/30857...-per-12-stuks/

Old 06-21-20, 03:41 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
A pretty-much-standard Campagnolo seat post binder bolt from the 80s is 8 mm diameter x about 20 mm nominal length (screwed in all the way, I think) -- and these things are available (both vintage and new) on eBay, by many manufacturers, either bike marques or Sugino. Armed with the knowledge you now have, press on. The 80s type typically have either a knurled end by the "fixed" side of the bolt (for a non-keyed hole) or a key like the bolt shown above. But provided the diameter and length are reasonably correct, a key can be filed into one side (carefully, with file or Dremel tool), and doesn't prevent use of the knurled type either. The later models have no nut, but internal threads and are tightened with a hex key.
Old 06-22-20, 04:13 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
A seat binder bolt like Charles Wahl shows depends on the strength of the steel key and the slot on the frame. I've seen too many of those fail due to the torque applied on the nut, trying to secure the seat post. Turns the bolt, strips the key, then the bolt just spins and you have to grab the head with vice grip pliers. Then folks replace the whole thing with a plain bolt so they can hold the bolt head. Then lock washers and star washers. UGH! I'll only use binder bolts that have a hex socket in the head, using two tools to apply torque on each side of the binder. And I always use two tools (ex: two 5mm hex keys). Even if the binder bolt had a key on the head too (ex: Sugino seat bolts) I use two keys. Why damage things when you don't have too? Two keyed bolts are a design that lasts.

So, I recommend finding or making a bold with a "socket head", either a dual headed binder bolt or a stainless socket head bolt with a nut. It will hold the post without buggering the frame. Maybe you can find a neat 1950's Carlton specialty nut. They're out there.