Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cleaning up (upgrading) an English tourer, a Dawes Super Galaxy

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 08:31 AM
liquid_liquid 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

Got my hands on this 1986 Dawes Super Galaxy and am currently figuring out my course of action.

My original idea was to find a large touring frame that I could build up from the ground, my first such project. I saw this one for sale locally for a good price. When I picked it up, I was surprised to see it was all original except (I think) for the tires. Still, I wanted to add a modern drivetrain, brifters, and new tires at the least. I was wavering a bit about this decision and so I posted these pics to the Dawes facebook group. As you'd expect, they all encouraged me to keep it original. So I think I'll do that. Besides taking it apart, cleaning it up, and greasing everything, I think the only change I'll make is to replace the foam grips (in excellent shape, by the way) with some black leather bar tape. I'll post my progress.

I do have some outstanding questions that the folks here might be able to answer. Simply, do you need to replace components on an old bike even if the bike doesn't have many miles on it? In particular, I'm curious if I should replace the cables, chain, and brake pads. All I have is a ruler, but the chain doesn't look to be too lose.

Likes For liquid_liquid:
Old 07-05-20, 08:38 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
MO, keep it original after lube, cleaning. Ride for awhile and change what doesn’t suit you. Great buy there!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 07-05-20, 08:50 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice find! Great color, too. @3speedslow's advice is sound, and what I would have given as well. After that, put brifters on it.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-05-20, 08:51 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
liquid_liquid I agree with 3speedslow , keep it original. No need to discard perfectly usable parts.

I would be concerned about the bearing grease. Over time, grease dries up and loses its effectiveness. Before you take it on a long ride, pull both wheels off and spin them while holding the axels to feel for grinding. If they grind, then paln on repacking them as well as the bottom bracket and headset.
Likes For branko_76: