Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How often do you clean your BB?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 06:34 PM
NachosGrande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious about maintenance habits/schedules for the DIY techies. How often do you uninstall your bottom bracket, for example if you have an Eng threaded, clean it and re-install it? Every few months, every few thousand miles, etc?
Old 01-15-15, 06:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
On a cartridge type, when it's dead.

Cup & cone types I usually service every year or 2, depending on miles.
Old 01-15-15, 06:43 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
It's not miles or time but rather usage (from casual fair weather bike to year-round commuter in a northern climate or off-road mudder) and personal standards that determine frequency, but I very much doubt you'd find many that do it every few months.
Old 01-16-15, 01:45 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I think most bikes are coming with sealed bbs now, I just put on in my bike, sacrificing weight for strength. At the co-op I work at, I saw a few standard bb's with a plasic tube in it to keep it clean and whatnot.
Old 01-16-15, 09:30 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Once every year or two with adjustable, vintage BBs when I'm doing a complete strip-down overhaul; once every 5-10 years with a cartridge BB, when it gets replaced.
Old 01-16-15, 09:41 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If it is within adjustment, and turning smooth, I'll leave it alone. If it's loose or doesn't turn smooth, I'll take it apart and clean and regrease it. Or just replace it with a cartridge type.
Old 01-16-15, 10:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I look at it from a cost perspective. Cleaning BBs costs me time. There is some cost to the cranks. Typically the cranks cost considerably more than the BB. Then there is the cost of going too long on the BB. If it is a cheap sealed Shimano for example, $30, unscrewing and installing a new one. Miche, same work except I have a local mechanic put new bearings in for about the same price and I have to make two trips to his shop and wait a week.

Cup and cone BBs I have to think about a little more. Since I don't race and they take considerably more work to dissemble, clean and reinstall, I pack those bearings with a lot of very firm grease, boat trailer hub grease. With enough to ooze out on reassembly, they will not need anything for years.

In general, if I cannot tell there is a problem, I just ride them. I have had so few ride ending BB issues in nearly 50 years of riding that it just isn't worth doing more. (I do make it a point to avoid French BB frames however. Unless that right BB cup is screwed REALLY TIGHT, it will unscrew on the road. I don't currently have bench vice jaws up to being a fixed cup wrench. Bike frames about the appropriate wrench size for that job.)

Edit: I just saw the word above about the plactic sleeves. I always use them on cup and cone BBS. Always. Who knows what could come down that seat tube or up the drain hole? (Steel frame? Rust is always a good bet.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-16-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 12:28 PM
jin_yeugh

Bikes: '00 Raleigh USA R-600

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
If it is within adjustment, and turning smooth, I'll leave it alone. If it's loose or doesn't turn smooth, I'll take it apart and clean and regrease it. Or just replace it with a cartridge type.
+1

I ride roughly 1000 mi per year in VERY fair weather Southern California so my bike can go a good 18 months before I give it a good overhaul.

I definitely love cartridge BBs but, unless you're needing to replace a worn out cup-and-cone style bottom bracket, I see no need in upgrading. Another reason to avoid buying a cartridge right away is that overhauling a bottom bracket is easy and fun and it gets you to know your bike better!
Old 01-16-15, 10:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Vintage, every other spring. Cartridge....well, you know.
Old 01-16-15, 11:09 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usually once a year. I take it out, clean BB and inside of the frame. I grease the threads, and put it back together. I ride year long, sometimes in the rain, and near beaches on sandy trails. I take it out only when I hear grinding noise. I always find bunch of sand and moisture there. Cleaning and re-greasing it, takes care of the problem.
Someone mention that it takes time to do it...Well, it takes me probably 30 minutes to do it once a year, including some other drivetrain service. Not a biggie.