Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Tips for cornering on the road

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Tips for cornering on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 02:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
If I had multiple sets of race wheels I would have a rain set for sure. Last year I raced on GP4000s clinchers in the rain, mainly because I had ridden them extensively in the wet and trusted them. This year I will use the tubular race wheels with Corsa CX but in 25mm.

Do you think a 25mm tire will fit in your rear triangle? It's crazy tight last time I looked.
The black bike has some room - the scrapes are from the 23c clincher which expanded a lot.

The red bike also has some room but I don't know how much, I have to look, but with the 23c clinchers there's a bit of room, enough that initially I was disappointed that he only shortened the stays to 39.3 cm. The fork will take a 25mm I'm almost positive (Enve 2.0). I was even thinking a front 25mm and rear would be 23mm.

I have to set up my black bike, the cranks are off etc, and I wanted to get a stem for that (I have a second set of bars). Then I could have both bikes alike again. I'd ride both bikes to see how they compare (I was even thinking of switching bikes mid-race during a Tues Night, or doing two races back to back using either different wheels or different rest-of-the-bikes).

I'd keep the 7/9 as my main wheels, do the 6/6 or 4/6 or just the 4 as rain wheel/s.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-29-15, 03:18 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
isn't that the point of cross? sounds like it worked.
The point is to win. And I definitely made the top of the grass-eating podium that day.
Old 01-30-15, 12:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I tried that in a 'cross race, once. Ended up eating a lot of grass.

There's so much advice in so many books out there. And I think its real-life usefulness is limited in a lot of ways. The biggest ones are that some people who are good at doing something have no idea why they are good at it, so their advice is uninformative, and that all the theory in the world is no substitute for experience and practice in the real world. And of course "the real world" often means buried in the peloton at high speeds elbow-to-elbow with 30-50+ other dudes and learning that you can only do the same thing that everyone else is doing. Being able to pick a smart line is good, and can be used to your advantage in a few situations, but a lot of the time the riders I see who have trouble with cornering don't have a problem with lines, they lack confidence in what the peloton is doing* and they lack confidence in their equipment to stay stuck to the pavement at the speed the pack is moving at.

*Sometimes justifiably, natch, but usually to the detriment of their safety and everyone else's.
From the peanut gallery, that's the most informative thing I've seen and some of the theory in this thread is illustrative of that. Just tell it like it is, the way you do it.
Old 02-07-15, 09:46 PM
NachosGrande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
This is more like how I corner:

I just wanted to find a way to post this gif.

This is what I used to do...
Old 02-07-15, 09:48 PM
NachosGrande

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I learned how to corner via Gran Turismo...go as fast as possible and try to bump off everyone else.
... And this is what I'll do from now on!