Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling is safe.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling is safe.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 02:14 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, this is like so many internet arguments.

We need air!
No, you're wrong! We need water!

How about we ride on the roads where that works, develop new infrastructure where we need it, and enforce the laws everywhere?
Old 09-16-15, 03:31 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alathIN
Man, this is like so many internet arguments.

We need air!
No, you're wrong! We need water!

How about we ride on the roads where that works, develop new infrastructure where we need it, and enforce the laws everywhere?
Sounds great. However, we have this little problem that started in California back in '78 with prop. 13. As a result of the four decades long tax revolt it spawned, we're dealing with the ultimate priority issue: there's only so much money in the budget and it's not enough.

Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures). Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bike lanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.

This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility. Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road. Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
Old 09-16-15, 03:51 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling is indeed safe. Safe even in the US, safer in the UK, and almost completely safe in the Benelux countries and Scandanavia.

Better infrastructure would be great. But the biggest and quickest contribution to making it safer would be to advertise the fact that it is much less dangerous than people imagine, and thus get more cyclists on the roads.
Old 09-16-15, 04:51 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures). Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bike lanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.
Just a note that a number of us who support protected bikeways (including through junctions) are current and former Cat 1 and pro racers (with Gary Fisher apparently the latest to join the chorus). Numerous of us have also spent considerable time studying what makes for a good environment for bicycling including study tours in Europe and across the U.S. (and noting that in all of this we have yet to find anywhere that practices bicycle driving to have a good environment nor have painted bikeways proved successful. The only places with any significant amount of bicycling and with relatively safe bicycling are places with protected infrastructure).

Please be careful who you imply are inexperienced.
Old 09-16-15, 05:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sounds great. However, we have this little problem that started in California back in '78 with prop. 13. As a result of the four decades long tax revolt it spawned, we're dealing with the ultimate priority issue: there's only so much money in the budget and it's not enough.

[b]This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility. Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road. Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
Nicely written and clear-headed analysis, @B. Carfree, so I quoted it in its entirety.

Recently was a thread in the Fifty-Plus Forum, ”Bike Riding vs Cycling,” with a lot of “squishy” discussions about the distinctions such as:

Originally Posted by baron von trail
Cyclist requires a $5000 bike and $300 outfit. Bike riders can get by for a lot less.

Originally Posted by Biker395
Biking? Cycling? All the same to me. All I can say is ... It sure is addicting.
By your above breakdown IMO, a cyclist would want bike lanes, and a bike rider would want separated infrastructure. Such a program would inevitably relegate bikes to the status of virtual toys, to be ridden as activity of itself, with no particular place to go; and diminish the fragile image of bikes as reliable transportation (or vehicles to encourage fitness, i.e. long (uninterrupted) distance riding).

I recently posted about this dichotomy on a Living Car Free thread, ”Wheeled pedestrian...slow riding...trans-sport...utility riding...transport cycling..’

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Actually, not to raise the usual controversy, IMO when I’m on the bike, I consider myself as an amphibian. Like the biologic species between reptile and fish, I exist as a cyclist and wheeled pedestrian. I obey traffic laws, and respect fellow road-users, but as noted above, I may assume pedestrian privileges, like circumventing traffic by going on to the sidewalk…

Last week I visited the family in Macomb County [Michigan]. IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered. The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists. Sidewalks alongside are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia….

Now actually those suburban counties like Macomb and Oakland have developed some nice, long MUPS, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that bikes are not ”real” transportation, so one usually drives to a MUP to ride the bike; and the MUPS are though rural countryside, with no defined, or non-recreational destination…

I used to feel resentful that I was self-relegated off to the sidewalks, but now I accept it as the way it is. I’m a visitor, and must accommodate. To further the evolutionary analogy I am a small furry mammal (cyclist), whose survival depends on avoiding being trampled by the dinosaurs (autos), whose evolutionary pathway may eventually lead to much less ferocious lizards.
So count me in as a cyclist.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-16-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 06:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Just a note that a number of us who support protected bikeways (including through junctions) are current and former Cat 1 and pro racers (with Gary Fisher apparently the latest to join the chorus). Numerous of us have also spent considerable time studying what makes for a good environment for bicycling including study tours in Europe and across the U.S. (and noting that in all of this we have yet to find anywhere that practices bicycle driving to have a good environment nor have painted bikeways proved successful. The only places with any significant amount of bicycling and with relatively safe bicycling are places with protected infrastructure).

Please be careful who you imply are inexperienced.
Bike racing experience in no way translates to traffic skills. Time on the bike practicing traffic skills gives a cyclist better traffic skills. I believe what @B. Carfree meant by "more experienced riders" is cyclists with more experience riding on public roads, along with other traffic.
Old 09-16-15, 06:05 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Bike racing experience in no way translates to traffic skills. Time on the bike practicing traffic skills gives a cyclist better traffic skills. I believe what @B. Carfree meant by "more experienced riders" is cyclists with more experience riding on public roads, along with other traffic.
In other words - "If you aren't comfortable biking on the roads you should take a class. It will give you confidence."

-mr. bill
Old 09-16-15, 06:52 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
So those racers never take to the roads for training, or ever commute?

My some 50 years of cycling and commuting, touring, and at times, living car free, should qualify me as somewhat experienced... and frankly there are places where no infrastructure is needed, there are areas where lines of paint are enough, and yes, there are places where physically separated infrastructure is highly desirable for all but the bravest/strongest riders (of whom only the smallest % of cyclists qualify).

To say that funding doesn't exist for cycling infra improvement is a misnomer... monies devoted to "just one more automobile lane" could easily be used to build more cycling infrastructure that could reduce the traffic load on existing roadways, AND encourage healthier lifestyles for the public. But far too many "decision-makers" tend to view the world through motoring eyes while overlooking both the possibilities of walking and cycling as part of the overall transportation picture.

Further, if we really want the public to accept cycling as safe, we need to remove the fear mongering mandatory helmet laws.
Old 09-16-15, 08:52 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bike lanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.
I mostly agree except for limiting segregated ("separate facilities") only to where there are long stretches of high speed road. An example would be how King county is slowly but surely progressing towards connecting the regions network of MUTs, essentially making a cyclist and pedestrian limited access freeway system.
But yes, give me lots of bike lanes please, they don't even need to be "safer", just so I don't need to constantly compete for space on higher speed differential roads.
Old 09-17-15, 06:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by genec
So those racers never take to the roads for training, or ever commute?

My some 50 years of cycling and commuting, touring, and at times, living car free, should qualify me as somewhat experienced... and frankly there are places where no infrastructure is needed, there are areas where lines of paint are enough, and yes, there are places where physically separated infrastructure is highly desirable for all but the bravest/strongest riders (of whom only the smallest % of cyclists qualify).
That's not what I said. Not all bike racers commute, in fact most probably don't, around this area anyway. But frankly I've seen a LOT of racers and "roadie" cyclist do some of the stupidest stuff in traffic.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
In other words - "If you aren't comfortable biking on the roads you should take a class. It will give you confidence."

-mr. bill
The large majority of cyclists who participate in CyclingSavvy courses are novice and beginner cyclists, and many of them afterwards say things like "wow I never knew I could do it that way, and it's so easy!" Are you going to sit there and dispute the fact that such a class imparts confidence in the participants? I can tell you first hand that it absolutely does.
Old 09-17-15, 07:35 PM
mr_bill

The large majority of cyclists who participate in CyclingSavvy courses are novice and beginner cyclists, and many of them afterwards say things like "wow I never knew I could do it that way, and it's so easy!" Are you going to sit there and dispute the fact that such a class imparts confidence in the participants? I can tell you first hand that it absolutely does.
"Dude, this is NOT a confidence issue!"

-mr. bill
Old 09-17-15, 07:37 PM
PatrickGSR94

Who are you quoting?

Despite the fact that cycling is safe, it still comes down to self-confidence to actually get out there and ride.
Old 09-17-15, 07:40 PM
mr_bill

Who are you quoting?
"There is a CyclingSavvy class offered less than an hour from Boston in Providence. I wish you would at least try it before knocking it.

Don’t bother with those LAB courses. CS is where it’s at."

-mr. bill
Old 09-17-15, 07:47 PM
PatrickGSR94

annnd what's your point? If you don't want to try the class, fine with me. But don't judge others who suggest it.
Old 09-17-15, 07:53 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've had three ambulance rides over the years all related to cycling: hit by car; heart attack; and crash in a race. The last two had nothing to do with safe streets or cycling infrastructure. So one incident in 61 years isn't so bad.
Old 09-17-15, 08:16 PM
mr_bill

annnd what's your point? If you don't want to try the class, fine with me. But don't judge others who suggest it.
Hey judge, nobody, *NOBODY* knocked anything. Or judged anything. Except for the judge who says don't judge.

-mr. bill
Old 09-17-15, 10:19 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I mostly agree except for limiting segregated ("separate facilities") only to where there are long stretches of high speed road. An example would be how King county is slowly but surely progressing towards connecting the regions network of MUTs, essentially making a cyclist and pedestrian limited access freeway system.
But yes, give me lots of bike lanes please, they don't even need to be "safer", just so I don't need to constantly compete for space on higher speed differential roads.
I agree with you and would have added what you said but I felt I had already been too wordy. I rather like bike paths that are built like a freeway (minimal intersections). The problem I have with bike paths is when they are built as side paths on streets with lots of intersections and driveways. I get weary of keeping my head on a swivel checking for overtaking vehicles from every angle knowing that I a out of their normal scan area for traffic.
Old 09-17-15, 10:25 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

To say that funding doesn't exist for cycling infra improvement is a misnomer... monies devoted to "just one more automobile lane" could easily be used to build more cycling infrastructure that could reduce the traffic load on existing roadways, AND encourage healthier lifestyles for the public. But far too many "decision-makers" tend to view the world through motoring eyes while overlooking both the possibilities of walking and cycling as part of the overall transportation picture.

Further, if we really want the public to accept cycling as safe, we need to remove the fear mongering mandatory helmet laws.
Are they still building more lane-miles in SoCal? That sort of thing has mostly dried up in many places. Oregon is spending lots of money rebuilding freeways and such, but not adding many more lane-miles. Last I heard, Texas is taking out pavement on many roads and returning them to gravel because they can't afford to maintain the pavement.

That said, you are correct, imo, that the issue is priorities (another word for budgets). In the real world, we can choose a small number of miles of separated facilities or we can have superior connectivity with 6-8 foot bike lanes. Given that choice, I'll take the latter.
Old 09-18-15, 07:22 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Hey judge, nobody, *NOBODY* knocked anything. Or judged anything. Except for the judge who says don't judge.

-mr. bill
says the one who makes condescending posts.
Old 09-18-15, 08:11 AM
genec
genec

That's not what I said. Not all bike racers commute, in fact most probably don't, around this area anyway. But frankly I've seen a LOT of racers and "roadie" cyclist do some of the stupidest stuff in traffic.

No, you didn't say that... but racers do often take to the streets to work out... and thus DO encounter and deal with traffic... so they do gain traffic experience.

About the only cyclists that never gain traffic experience are the Sunday park riders and those that only do spin classes... otherwise, the longer you ride, and the further you go, the greater the likelihood that you deal with motor vehicle traffic.
Old 09-18-15, 08:25 AM
genec
genec

Are they still building more lane-miles in SoCal? That sort of thing has mostly dried up in many places. Oregon is spending lots of money rebuilding freeways and such, but not adding many more lane-miles. Last I heard, Texas is taking out pavement on many roads and returning them to gravel because they can't afford to maintain the pavement.

That said, you are correct, imo, that the issue is priorities (another word for budgets). In the real world, we can choose a small number of miles of separated facilities or we can have superior connectivity with 6-8 foot bike lanes. Given that choice, I'll take the latter.
Yes actually, the city I just left (San Diego) IS adding more bike lanes, and is buffering bike lanes on highr speed roadways... and they are adding more signage and green areas, to indicate whole zones dedicated to cyclists. They are also finally using "bikes may use full lane" signs, vice the dreaded "share the lane" signs.

That said however, there are still plenty of arterial roads (often the ONLY ROAD) between areas where cyclists have no infrastructure... no BL or anything. Good luck on those often high speed, multi-laned urban "freeways." (These are not actual freeways, but due to the speeds, may as well be.)

Caltrans however just doesn’t seem to get it... they currently are building a huge new carepool lane project on 805 in the northern area of the city, and the ramps and connections to surface streets pretty much ignore the fact that cyclists exist.
Old 09-18-15, 08:28 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Its a lost cause trying to apply logic to faith.
Old 09-18-15, 07:50 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Caltrans however just doesn’t seem to get it... they currently are building a huge new carepool lane project on 805 in the northern area of the city, and the ramps and connections to surface streets pretty much ignore the fact that cyclists exist.
CalTrans has a long and sordid history of bike hate. Oddly, there was once a bike division at CalTrans. It was put in place by a young Governor Brown, long before he discovered that he doesn't like having bikes on the road. When George Deukmejian took office he eliminated the bike division within days. I often wonder what the roads would look like in CA if the bike division had been left in place.
Old 09-19-15, 05:49 AM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My helmet saved my life!!! Omigod i would have died!!! Cycling is *********so******* dangerous!!!!!
Old 09-19-15, 07:01 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Good luck on those often high speed, multi-laned urban "freeways." (These are not actual freeways, but due to the speeds, may as well be.)
Can't people just drive their bicycles on these? That's what LAB and their state affiliates and LCI's and Safe Routes To School say we should do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.