Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Wheels + GP5000 TL

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 04:03 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts

Anyone here use the Fulcrum wheels, more specifically the Racing 5 DBs?

And if so, were you able to use any tubeless tires other than Schwalbes on them without issue?

Recently purchased a set of wheels, which I brought to the bike shop to have my GP 5000 Tubeless tires put on. They're a great shop, one of the best in the city, and have done many other tubeless setups for me in the past (on different bikes) without issues.

However I just brought in my new wheels, and they've had issues getting the GPs on. There's a wobble in both tires, which they pointed out to me, and can't so far figure out. They're thinking it _may_ be the valves (Continental TL valves), as the Fulcrums are shaped slightly differently than your typical wheels (from what I've read). If that's the case then the solution would be to get the valves that Fulcrum recommends, but good luck trying to find them (why they didn't include them with their tubeless wheels is beyond me).

And yes I do realize that Fulcrum says that they only support Schwalbes (which is ridiculous). I may end up buying a set of Pro Ones, which aren't cheap. Just would hate to have the same issue as the GPs.
Old 06-09-20, 06:46 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl J
However I just brought in my new wheels, and they've had issues getting the GPs on. There's a wobble in both tires, which they pointed out to me, and can't so far figure out. They're thinking it _may_ be the valves (Continental TL valves), as the Fulcrums are shaped slightly differently than your typical wheels (from what I've read). If that's the case then the solution would be to get the valves that Fulcrum recommends, but good luck trying to find them (why they didn't include them with their tubeless wheels is beyond me).
As for the difficulties in mounting GP5000 tires, s​​​ee my post on these tires:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...are-fight.html

Note that the Kool Stop tire jack tool mentioned in the thread seems to be the hot ticket for getting tight tubeless tires on.

As for the wobble, I'm not sure what that's all about. Once I got the GP5000's mounted, I love 'em and have no wobbles.
Old 06-09-20, 07:01 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
As for the difficulties in mounting GP5000 tires, s​​​ee my post on these tires:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...are-fight.html

Note that the Kool Stop tire jack tool mentioned in the thread seems to be the hot ticket for getting tight tubeless tires on.

As for the wobble, I'm not sure what that's all about. Once I got the GP5000's mounted, I love 'em and have no wobbles.
Thanks, will check out that thread.
I've had these tires on another set of rims before, and although they're a pain, I didn't have issues once they were on.
These new wheels however, are, "special". They're shaped slightly differently than most wheels (yes, they're still round), and Fulcrum says that they only support Schwalbe tires. However in reviews for these rims I've read that other tires have been mounted.
Old 06-09-20, 07:57 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Pull tire from wheel
Turn tire inside out.
with wheel laying on floor, and the tire beside it.
Fit tire bead Only at valve into rim hook with thumb
you should Now be able to see if the valve is obstructing the bead seating into the rims hook.
Old 06-09-20, 08:30 AM
wirides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I have Fulcrum 600's and wanted the GP5000 tl tires but opted for the new Schwalbe Pro 1s based on compatibility concerns you mention. I haven't mounted them yet because the conversion kit I ordered is taking forever to be delivered. Anyway, I'd be interested in the success others may have had with a different tire on the Fulcrum wheels.
Old 06-09-20, 09:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Yeah, I like my Campy (nonTL) wheels, but I don't get their 2-way fIit "Ready" thing.. how convoluted and restricting: 2-WAY FIT INSTRUCTIONS
What's odd is that this seemingly only applies to the 2way "Ready" version wheels -- why don't they just use the same rim profile as found on their regular 2-Way wheels such as the Wind or Speed etc. models?