Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

bike rack question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:02 PM
jpkulusic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike rack question

I posted the question below in the general discussion forum, and was told I might be better posting it here, so I'll repost:

Hello everyone,
I'm a college student and I work full time doing accounting work, so I spend a lot of time reading books and doing paperwork. I've been thinking for a while that I need to start getting out and doing things outside more. I remembered I used to ride a bike as a kid growing up for hours upon hours everyday seven days a week, and started thinking to myself that getting a bike would be the answer.

I just recently purchased a hybrid bike (Felt f75X), and have been getting in progressively longer rides. I'm to the point where I'm able to get in 80+ mile trips, but they are trips that are forty miles in one direction and forty back. I'm ready to start going on longer over night trips, but up till now I haven't been carrying much aside from a small pouch on the back of my bike with a spare tire and a water bottle.

I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with finding a bike rack off amazon and providing me with some insight as to some necessary light weight stuff that I may need. I'm not sure if there are different bike racks that fit on the back of a bike for different types of bikes (or sizes of bikes)? So I was hoping for some advice as to how to pick the one that will be right for me and will fit my bike (Felt f75X). I don't know too much about this type of thing since I'm just getting back into biking, but I'm assuming that racks also have different sizes, weights, and centers of gravity, etc.?

As far as what I will be putting on it, I was thinking about maybe a getting a hammock tent, my bag with camera gear (size of a backpack), small pouch with some extra inner tubes and patches, and maybe something else that I haven't anticipated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-29-14, 07:11 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That bike has eyelets top and bottom for attaching a rack, so just pick up a rack that has "ears" up front for attaching to the seat stays, and you'll be all set. You'll need a set of panniers, of course.
Old 07-29-14, 07:24 PM
jpkulusic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. Does it matter what size my bike is? It's a 55. Would this work
Jandd Standard Rack - Brands Cycle and Fitness
and if so, would I need any clamps or anything?

Thanks again,
Old 07-29-14, 07:29 PM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sure that rack would fit, but yes, you would need some clamps of some kind, it isn't clear if they come with the rack.

FYI, this is the rack I use and I love it. I've only toured a bit with it, but I used it for commuting for years including winter commuting in Wisconsin:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack (w/o Spring)

Instead of using your upper eyelets, you might want to attach this one to the seat stays using clamps, it gives you a lot more flexibility.

Edited to add: an Amazon review of the Jandd rack indicates that it will mount fine to your seat stay eyelets.
Old 07-29-14, 09:28 PM
jpkulusic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
I'm sure that rack would fit, but yes, you would need some clamps of some kind, it isn't clear if they come with the rack.

FYI, this is the rack I use and I love it. I've only toured a bit with it, but I used it for commuting for years including winter commuting in Wisconsin:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack (w/o Spring)

Instead of using your upper eyelets, you might want to attach this one to the seat stays using clamps, it gives you a lot more flexibility.

Edited to add: an Amazon review of the Jandd rack indicates that it will mount fine to your seat stay eyelets.
I'm looking at the link you just provided now. I'm going to go ahead and purchase it! Thanks again for your help!