Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Planing first tour, Philly to the Shore.

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 09:02 AM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been riding an old 29er for a while and finally getting a new specialized AWOL as a commuter/touring ride and want to start seeing some sites.

Figured the beach was a great first destination—flat-ish—and we can make it into some nice shorter segments by camping halfway in Wharton state park. Pretty psyched and wanted to share our route.

Anyone have any experience with this trip? Any recommendations, campsites, restaurants, sites, etc.?

RidewithGPS route

And a screenshot, in case you can't access the map.
Attached Images
Old 08-28-14, 10:26 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
I know the roads in the middle of your route, from Cherry Hill through the Pines, and they would be the ones I'd choose.
Your ending seems roundabout, buy maybe you want the extra miles.
Enjoy.
Old 08-28-14, 11:06 AM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
I know the roads in the middle of your route, from Cherry Hill through the Pines, and they would be the ones I'd choose.
Your ending seems roundabout, buy maybe you want the extra miles.
Enjoy.
Great to hear! Round about for sure! The thought was to avoid the 30, and it seems like that way was the safest into AC. I'm certainly open to a better way.
Old 08-29-14, 07:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Why A.C.? It's not the most bike friendly place to ride. The last time I roide in A.C. some guy in a pickup buzzed us intentionally--twice. Fortunately, the second time the idiot did it in front of the police station. A cop who was about to get into his car witnessed it and pulled him over.

I usually ride to the shore area at least once/year. I have given up riding across the BF Bridge. Instead, I take PATCO to get beyond Camden, etc. Either to Woodcrest or Lindenwold. The riding getting through Camden, etc., just isn't worth it to me. I have done a couple of of short trips to Belleplain State Forest in Woodbine. There is a decent campground there. No real grocery store anywhere around, just small market in the center of town. If you are cooking you could probably cobble together some pasts, etc. About 3 miles from the park there is a pizza place and further down, a bar/restaurant. From Belleplain you can easily get to O.C., Sea Isle and Avalon.

In any event, SR 152 into Margate and then heading north is definitely preferable to riding straight into A.C. on something like U.S. 322 or U.S. 30.