Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Non-suspension corrected, belt drive single speed?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-21-17, 09:06 AM
alcahueteria

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Soma Juice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just sold my soma, and on the hunt for something new. I've been riding a belt on my touring bike for coming up on three years now and it's been great. I enjoy the simplicity of the rigid; I break things; I just don't want to pay for a suspension fork or it's maintenance. I have no interest to convert this to have a suspension in the future and care about the aesthetics of my bike. Those combined, make me want a non-suspension corrected ride, because why not. Steel is also preferable. Finally, I'd love something with a racy geometry. I'm impartial to wheel diameter. I grew up on 26", went to 29" on my last ride, but would be happy with anything in that regard.

That said I haven't found much of anything. I think I saw an richie frame that could have worked, but isn't available anymore. I could obviously do a custom build, but that sounds pricey and I'd love to find something more cost effective than that, given that it's essentially a basic bike. Now, I'm realizing the best route might be to buy something older when a steel rigid was more standard, and just converting it. Any suggestions on good models to keep an eye out for? (Of course if there is something new, please let me know!)

Last edited by alcahueteria; 04-21-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 12:40 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Not sure why you want belt drive, but I would look at the Specialized Crave also formally know as Specialized Carve.

Specialized Carve SL 29 L/19 single speed, carbon fork, and, disc, epic bike. | eBay

It is suspension corrected, but for good reason...if you take it on trails it lessens your chance of going over the bars.
Old 04-24-17, 08:54 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank for the suggestion! That's definitely a sharp ride. Belt drive has meant less maintenance, less mess and less noise, all of which I dig.

The suspension corrected won't keep me from going over the bars…that's going to happen! Suspension corrected, as I see it, is just giving more clearance between the top of the front wheel and the bottom of the head-tube, shrinking the head tube and making the downtube proceed at a steeper angle. I don't need that extra space, and I think the bike would look cleaner without it…It seems unreasonable these days to find something though it seems. Maybe I misunderstsand how the naming and how the geometry works though too?
Old 04-25-17, 06:25 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by alcahueteria
Thank for the suggestion! That's definitely a sharp ride. Belt drive has meant less maintenance, less mess and less noise, all of which I dig.
Chains are easy to maintain and cheap.

Suspension corrected, as I see it, is just giving more clearance between the top of the front wheel and the bottom of the head-tube, shrinking the head tube and making the downtube proceed at a steeper angle. I don't need that extra space, and I think the bike would look cleaner without it…It seems unreasonable these days to find something though it seems. Maybe I misunderstsand how the naming and how the geometry works though too?
No. Suspension corrected means that the frame geometry is changed to accommodate for the the extra length from a suspension fork and the head angle will be slacker not steeper.

Last edited by prj71; 04-25-17 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 09:40 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Against my better judgement, I'll engage.

Yes, chains are cheap and easy to maintain. I knew and know that. As I said, I also now have experience with a belt drive and that is my preference. No offense to chain lovers. I'm over them, as of now.

Regarding my description of how the "frame geometry is changed to accommodate for the extra length from the suspension fork" I'm sorry if you misunderstood my explanation so much as to think a binary yes/no response was appropriate. May I also apologize for not being clear in my uncertainty as to the points at which downtube angles are defined thus making the relative nature of "slacker" or "steeper" right or wrong respectively. You've not actually explained that to me though still, so I can't really trust you're "No…head angle will be slacker not steeper." assessment. I'm not actually interested in the explanations however, as that was not the nature of my OP.

Thanks for the random comments though.
Old 04-25-17, 09:49 AM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The last non-suspension corrected production singlespeed frame I remember was the Raleigh XIX -and that was probably eight or ten years ago. You may be able to find a used one, but if I remember correctly it wasn't belt compatible.

Everything else is suspension corrected. If you really want a non-suspension corrected frame you'll probably have to go custom.
Old 04-25-17, 01:21 PM
prj71

Against my better judgement, I'll engage.

Yes, chains are cheap and easy to maintain. I knew and know that. As I said, I also now have experience with a belt drive and that is my preference. No offense to chain lovers. I'm over them, as of now.

Regarding my description of how the "frame geometry is changed to accommodate for the extra length from the suspension fork" I'm sorry if you misunderstood my explanation so much as to think a binary yes/no response was appropriate. May I also apologize for not being clear in my uncertainty as to the points at which downtube angles are defined thus making the relative nature of "slacker" or "steeper" right or wrong respectively. You've not actually explained that to me though still, so I can't really trust you're "No…head angle will be slacker not steeper." assessment. I'm not actually interested in the explanations however, as that was not the nature of my OP.

Thanks for the random comments though.

Well what you are looking for doesn't exist, because it's not practical. The bike I posted above is the closest thing you'll find to "racy geometry" in a single speed bike. You'll only find them ebay and craigslist these days because Specialized stopped making that model.
Old 04-25-17, 02:52 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Well what you are looking for doesn't exist, because it's not practical. The bike I posted above is the closest thing you'll find to "racy geometry" in a single speed bike. You'll only find them ebay and craigslist these days because Specialized stopped making that model.
Niner still makes the Air 9 RDO that is single speed compatible and racy as ****. And Ibis has the Tranny which is not only singlespeed but also belt compatible. Geometry is also racy as it gets -corrected for suspension though.
There are more "racy geometry" singlespeed frames out there. They are just suspension corrected.
Old 04-25-17, 03:10 PM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The non-suspension corrected is definitely the biggest challenge, which was why I got wondering about something older, when rigids were more common. I agree it seems custom is the most likely way that that will be met, but when companies make things like the specialized sawyer and the Transition Klunker, I feel like there's always the chance the weird thing I'm looking for might exist already out there, somewhere.

I'll definitely check out the raleigh, ibis and the niner! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-25-17, 06:46 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The problem with old bikes will be finding something that allows belt drive. Maybe something with elevated stays? But then it may not allow for singlespeed without a tensioner so you are back to square one...

I think your best option is to bite the aesthetical bullet and go suspension corrected.
Old 04-25-17, 09:17 PM
prj71

The non-suspension corrected is definitely the biggest challenge, which was why I got wondering about something older, when rigids were more common. I agree it seems custom is the most likely way that that will be met, but when companies make things like the specialized sawyer and the Transition Klunker, I feel like there's always the chance the weird thing I'm looking for might exist already out there, somewhere.

I'll definitely check out the raleigh, ibis and the niner! Thanks for the suggestions!
What is it that you have against suspension corrected?
Old 04-26-17, 07:07 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I suspect I may… figured asking the group bike brain here was my best hope. If something older was found I was thinking it'd probably still be cheaper than custom to do the S&S coupler conversion.

An example can be seen here, though I'm used to seeing them on the seat stay as opposed to the chain stay.

Against suspension corrected…mostly just aesthetics. Although I do have a suspicion that they may make for a stiffer, more robust frame too. But that's just an unfounded guess based on, what are likely, oversimplified assumptions of where frames derive their strength. Since I tend to brake things, that added strength would be a nice bonus.

Though, again, I just think all that extra space up front above the tire just looks wonky, like putting a 26" on a 29" frame. It's been normalized as a way a bike looks, because that's mostly what's out there, but in absolute terms I still don't like it. Especially when you compare it to what is arguably it's closest sibling these days, the gravel grinder. Those bikes, with their "road bike" baseline have much cleaner lines. Still plenty of clearance, in relative terms for larger tires. I don't expect that to go away. But just none of that extra vertical space that isn't getting used.
Old 04-26-17, 07:47 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Rigid, steel ss? Look at Kona or Surly. And really 29ers are your bet bet here. I'm guessing about the non corrected? You'll have to figure that out. Check out the Kona Unit, steel and ss, you can make it belt drive if needed. Also say the Orge or Karate Monkey from Surly. Most of their bike have the horizontal drop out for chain ( belt) tensioning.
Old 04-26-17, 09:56 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Rigid, steel ss? Look at Kona or Surly. And really 29ers are your bet bet here. I'm guessing about the non corrected? You'll have to figure that out. Check out the Kona Unit, steel and ss, you can make it belt drive if needed. Also say the Orge or Karate Monkey from Surly. Most of their bike have the horizontal drop out for chain ( belt) tensioning.
Both the Kona and Surly will require cutting the frame to install a belt
Old 04-26-17, 10:35 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK
Both the Kona and Surly will require cutting the frame to install a belt
Doooh, ( headslap) yup. SS chains are pretty basic. Custom ?
Old 04-26-17, 10:40 AM
prj71

I think OP is looking for a solution to a perceived problem that doesn't exist.
Old 04-26-17, 12:17 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think OP is looking for a solution to a perceived problem that doesn't exist.
I think you are being a dick. The OP doesn't like how suspension corrected frames look. That's his choice. Unfortunately for them, it looks like not too many people share that view and there is a lack of frames like that.

But the OP has been pretty clear it is an aesthetic issue.
Old 04-26-17, 12:40 PM
prj71

Let's be realistic. How often are you really looking down at your bike while you ride it? How often are other people looking at the aesthetics of your bike while your riding it or while it's sitting in the garage. It's one of those things, that in the big picture, doesn't matter. The OP is painting himself in a corner and having to spend big $$$ on custom if he wants a certain "look" for a bike. Suspension corrected or non-suspension corrected looking bike is splitting hairs IMO.
Old 04-26-17, 02:08 PM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks FrozenK, that's essentially it.

prj71, I agree it's functionally not going to change things that much. But I'd say I probably actually look at my bike more than I ride it. I'd guess that's the case for most people. As a designer by profession, I care about what things look like and given that I care about bikes too…it stands to reason, rather apparently too I would think, that I'd care a lot about how my bike looks. I'd venture to guess you do to. Did you have any opinion about the color of your bike is? Then the question just comes down to the value trade off of looks for additional cost. Which was why I started this post altogether. I'd prefer not to buy something custom, because of price, and so if there was something non-custom, aka cheaper than custom, that met all my interests, why not try to find it?

Function and aesthetics can't be so easily parsed, especially in the bike world. That's part of what I love about them so much. Leebo, I'll check out the surlies and kona's. I could be ok cutting the frame to accommodate the belt drive, if everything else about the bike were so right. Thanks!

Last edited by alcahueteria; 04-26-17 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 02:37 PM
Bandersack

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All City did done it

Howdy Ya'll -- this thread is lit - i dig it.

great content too, didn't think of the elevated stays as proposed sometime above - but that's a place to take a gander..wonder what's out in the EU scene in terms of non-sus corrected rigid 9ers.

Well, All city did this a couple years ago...but they have since pulled the Jyd from production and today it will most likely be hard to find. unless a shop has one lying around. I know a local philly shop had one last year, but not sure the size. allcitycycles .com /bikes/archive/jyd

They also make the log lady, which is sus corrected for 100mm. getting closer to that tight geo, won't be perfect, but would be something. a buddy of mine has one, and until i inspected the product details today, i was unaware it was sus corrected...but then again - i wasn't paying that close of attention. now..now i will always notice!

Good thoughts with the progression of gravel grinders into monster cross bikes. they may have the tire clearance you're looking for...but i bet the geometry won't be as desire-able. I have a soma wolverine that i can power through some local trails - but it's not a mtb. and never will be...it's a glorified big tired cross bike. still fun, though!

you should get a custom bike. for real...there was one at NAAHBs this year i believe...i'll dig up a link if i remember to look later. may or may not have been belt driven.

Have you ridden belt off road at all? I wonder if you'd see the same gains on trail as off...that is with the variability of terrain...i wonder how they hold up to the abuse of crashing on stuff, jumping over logs and rocks and slamming the belt onto said objects? not saying don't do it...just something i thought of.
Old 04-27-17, 08:50 AM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandersack
Howdy Ya'll -- this thread is lit - i dig it.
Thanks for the comments, there's a lot there. The JYD is a good thought, I might just set up some alerts for craigslist and ebay to keep an eye out for one of those. Disc would be nice…but I can't get too crazy (though some people obviously already think I am).

I suspect you're right about the monster cross geo being different than what I'm looking for, that's what keeps me in the MTB world for my search…but I don't really know!

NAAHBS…ha! talk about spending the most money on a custom bike…

Good points about belts off road…I don't really know actually. A bash guard would probably be the best idea at a minimum given that belts derive their strength from the carbon strands within them and they say not to bend them too tight or they'll break, thus weakening the belt. I would guess some direct blows from a log crossing could do the same… The trails I'll be on seem to be pretty flowy, smooth and non-technical though, so it might actually just not be an issue anyway. Good thoughts, Thanks!
Old 04-27-17, 10:55 AM
prj71

prj71, I agree it's functionally not going to change things that much. But I'd say I probably actually look at my bike more than I ride it.
Rather odd to me, but different strokes for different folks I guess. To me, performance and function outweigh looks. Maybe you can hang your bike on the wall as artwork if you want to spend more time looking at it vs. riding it.

As a designer by profession, I care about what things look like and given that I care about bikes too…it stands to reason, rather apparently too I would think, that I'd care a lot about how my bike looks. I'd venture to guess you do to.
I'm an engineer/designer by profession also, but the products I work on are function and performance first then looks.

Did you have any opinion about the color of your bike is?
Not at all, because really...who looks at their bike when they are riding it. The only line I draw on bike color is when a mens bike is made in what I would call "girlie" colors or color schemes.

Which was why I started this post altogether. I'd prefer not to buy something custom, because of price, and so if there was something non-custom, aka cheaper than custom, that met all my interests, why not try to find it?
If cost is the factor, then the bike I suggested or Air 9 suggested by someone else or something similar is the only thing that will keep your cost down.

Last edited by prj71; 04-28-17 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 02:38 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=prj71;19542142]Rather odd to me, but different strokes for different folks I guess. To me, performance and function outweigh looks. Maybe you can hang your bike on the wall as artwork if you want to spend more time looking at it vs. riding it.

[quote]As a designer by profession, I care about what things look like and given that I care about bikes too…it stands to reason, rather apparently too I would think, that I'd care a lot about how my bike looks. I'd venture to guess you do to.
I'm an engineer/designer by profession also, but the products I work on are function and performance first then looks.

Not at all, because really...who looks at their bike when they are riding it. The only line I draw on bike color is when a mens bike is made in what I would call "girlie" colors or color schemes.

If cost is the factor, then the bike I suggested or Air 9 suggested by someone else or something similar is the only thing that will keep your cost down.
The Air 9 RDO retails for two grand. You can get a custom frame -even frame and fork- for that price. The AIR 9 is also not belt compatible -and being carbon it would be an unlikely candidate for an S&S coupler.

I mentioned the Air 9 as an example of a single speed with a "racy geometry." But it is not what the OP is looking for.

It seems like Curtlo is still in business and offering a steel singlespeed frame for $1,100. I think that's a better option for the OP.
Old 04-27-17, 03:09 PM
alcahueteria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
prj71, if you're saying you spend more time on your bike than off it, kudos to you, because I only wish I had a 100th of my week for riding. That said, I also don't hide it away when I'm off it. But to your point, yes, when I'm on it, I certainly don't see it from the profile.

but the products I work on are function and performance first then looks.
That's certainly a viable strategy. However, in no way is this aesthetic decision I'm making going to sacrifice any of the function. Unless you're considering a future world where I change my mind and want to go with a squishy front end…but if that world doesn't exist (as it doesn't) then, again no sacrifices.

The only line I draw on bike color is when a mens bike is made in what I would call "girlie" colors or color schemes.
And thus you have an opinion, so now we're just dealing the shades of gray of which end that opinion is on. Mine is apparently on the other end. I appreciate the token air9 suggestion, carbon isn't ideal. Mostly again, because it's not my preference.

FrozenK, Curtlo seems interesting. I may shoot them/him/her a message.
Old 04-28-17, 04:56 AM
prj71

[QUOTE=FrozenK;19542794]
I mentioned the Air 9 as an example of a single speed with a "racy geometry." But it is not what the OP is looking for.
I was referring to the alloy version.

Niner Air 9 SLX 11 SPD Jenson Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Which also pops up on ebay from time to time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.