Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

expedition vs average gear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

expedition vs average gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 10:06 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Definitely a steel bike for expeditions. Aluminum is fine for short tours, but for expeditions you need a steel frame.
And solid steel too, not hollow tubing.
Old 07-17-17, 12:26 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Before this fancy modern expedition 4130 solid steel tubing came along some just filled their gas pipes with cement.

Admittedly acceleration was a workout but but the forward momentum, especially downhill, was amazing!

In fact, ordinary brakes would not work so the older bikes had a stick you could throw between the spokes.
Old 07-17-17, 03:35 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
....In fact, ordinary brakes would not work so the older bikes had a stick you could throw between the spokes.
the latest super high quality modern aluminium
techno-basement-warrrrrior expedition grinders
get the same effect by coming equipped with
massive racks and 28-spoke wheels.
Old 07-17-17, 09:43 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If I were going on an expedition? I'd need more than my twelve pack of pint sized cans of ales that I had on my last trip. Thank god I wised up in Iceland and stayed in an area where there were some restaurants I could supplement my supply, or I'd have ran out

Actually, I'd probably have to consider swapping them out for some scotch. Even I found a dozen pounds in beer weight to be slightly over the top...
Old 07-17-17, 09:49 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Steel is real but Oak is dope! Note the early Deore under chainstay U-brake!

Old 07-17-17, 10:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
Yeah Steel is real but Oak is dope! Note the early Deore under chainstay U-brake!

Love the brakes. Yabba-dabba-do!
Old 07-17-17, 10:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Love the brakes. Yabba-dabba-do!
aren't those brakes original equipment on the surly long haul trucker? I'm fairly certain they come stock on the Trek 920 as well . . .
Old 07-17-17, 10:15 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
custom made.

Look up wooden bicycle frames. Kinda interesting.
Old 07-17-17, 10:36 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
custom made.

Look up wooden bicycle frames. Kinda interesting.

Since a tree is about 48% carbon. Here is your first carbon fiber expedition bicycle (cir 1816). Of course it later was supplanted by the much superior "expedition grade" 4130 steel.

Old 07-17-17, 10:41 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtroup
I think expedition gear is more orange and twice as expensive.
Or camo from Walmart for half the price.
Old 07-17-17, 10:46 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
You forgot the Duct Tape.
Gorilla tape mo betta
Old 07-17-17, 11:02 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Gorilla tape mo betta
I do wish that I could take a tour somewhere that you might need to tape some Gorillas to something. The most backwards places I have toured was in Louisiana and Florida, and there were more ducts swimming around there than large apes.
Old 07-17-17, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Gorilla tape mo betta
During an expedition tour you are more likely to encounter guerillas. Is there such a thing as guerilla tape?
Old 07-17-17, 12:41 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forget the gorilla tape or chicken wire. I went hiking last weekend and found a big patch of *****willow.
Old 07-17-17, 12:54 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad

These are prototype disc wheels now commonly used on TT bikes. And that's gonna seriously hurt when the dude's scarf gets wrapped up in the rear wheel.
Old 07-17-17, 06:48 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
And that's gonna seriously hurt when the dude's scarf gets wrapped up in the rear wheel.
That's what I was thinking. It would be like Isadora Duncan.

Anyhow-->those bikes are awesome.
Old 07-17-17, 07:48 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
These are prototype disc wheels now commonly used on TT bikes. And that's gonna seriously hurt when the dude's scarf gets wrapped up in the rear wheel.
should be more concerned about the loincloth!
Old 07-17-17, 08:03 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by BigAura
Anyhow-->those bikes are awesome.
At least going downhill. I suppose the "I like walking uphill" crowd may enjoy them though!
Old 07-19-17, 01:11 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Are you deciding "expedition" by duration of the trip or location?

As far as duration goes, what I bring for a two week trip is not much different than on my longest trips of 10, 12, 13 (and counting) month long trips. Perhaps a few more spares like two tires instead of one or an extra disc rotor.

As far as location goes, there is a much wiser list of countries than "US and Europe" where if necessary it isn't too much of a bother to resupply with something you forgot/learned you need. For example, in both Perú and Western China I acquired a second lightweight sleeping bag after learning temperatures were colder than I had planned. Similarly if necessary, bike shops to be found in largest cities of a much larger set of places.

After that harder to generalize since things like: visas, immunizations, clothing, etc are very location dependent. Within a location, how you travel also differs, e.g. outback Australia on sealed vs. unsealed roads. Time of year matters, e.g. eastern Russia in summer vs. winter. Other factors make it much more important to list *which* location rather than generalize to *expedition* for everything that isn't US, Europe or similar easier places.

Last edited by mev; 07-19-17 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 01:25 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

An extra bicycle might not be all that crazy. Might be easier to ship frame or parts from home rather than find them in the middle of nowhere.
In many places, shipping starts to get very expensive. Depending on country, navigating through customs with different language is also tough.

Read journals and you'll find a variety of approaches people have done for things like cracked rims. Most common though seems to be to get to a large city and a fix there. Also in my opinion, when people turn these discussions into frame material type conversations, that seems like a much lower probabilty event than broken wheels.

I did had a frame crack with rear chainstay in Australia. This was midway in an 12 month trip and I didn't have a repair/replace option I liked. I did have a spare bike back in US. At that point shipping a bike was ~2/3 cost of a round trip plane ticket for myself. So I flew back and couriered in the new bike myself.

Prior to my trip across Russia, I left behind a bike with friends, when I did a 1600 mile trip the year before. It was the "hot spare" if something really bad happened like a stolen bike. Only "a train ride" away. Fortunately, I didn't need it. A friend retrieved that bike after first using it to ride the Pamir Highway.

Last edited by mev; 07-19-17 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 01:30 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mev
Are you deciding "expedition" by duration of the trip or location?

As far as duration goes, what I bring for a two week trip is not much different than on my longest trips of 10, 12, 13 (and counting) trips. Perhaps a few more spares like two tires instead of one or an extra disc rotor.

As far as location goes, there is a much wiser list of countries than "US and Europe" where if necessary it isn't too much of a bother to resupply with something you forgot/learned you need. For example, in both Perú and Western China I acquired a second lightweight sleeping bag after learning temperatures were colder than I had planned. Similarly if necessary, bike shops to be found in largest cities of a much larger set of places.

After that harder to generalize since things like: visas, immunizations, clothing, etc are very location dependent. Within a location, how you travel also differs, e.g. outback Australia on sealed vs. unsealed roads. Time of year matters, e.g. eastern Russia in summer vs. winter. Other factors make it much more important to list *which* location rather than generalize to *expedition* for everything that isn't US, Europe or similar easier places.
Well that makes a lot of sense. Do you have anything to say about having things shipped to you vs waiting until the next large city, like your sleeping bag example.
Old 07-19-17, 02:49 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Do you have anything to say about having things shipped to you vs waiting until the next large city, like your sleeping bag example.
Unless I know something specific or have a local contact, I am much more likely to look locally.

The problem with shipping is that you are importing something into the country. Each nation may have different rules including duties for importing things. If you don't follow, they get stuck and then knowledge of both local language and procedures are important.

One can find imported goods everywhere, but I'd rather someone else do that than me in middle of a trip. If I am going to bring something in, then rather as part of my possessions or via a courier (e.g. friend visiting) than shipping.
Old 07-19-17, 03:23 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting! Thanks!
What about shipping things home? Again like cold weather stuff? I really don't want to carry something like a down jacket for 4 months until I need it again. Anything about meds?

Last edited by Squeezebox; 07-19-17 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 07:20 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Interesting! Thanks!
What about shipping things home? Again like cold weather stuff? I really don't want to carry something like a down jacket for 4 months until I need it again. Anything about meds?
I have fewer concerns mailing things home. I've done it from China, Russia, and New Zealand without any troubles. Particularly true if you don't care when it arrives. Russia was very bureaucratic and a bit of a hassle to get the right paperwork. China in the Beijing post office was very efficient including English language instructions, packing materials, etc.

I haven't done medicines.

Again this is likely very country-specific and searching for that country and mailing will give a lot of information. There are expat communities living many places and they have those similar questions on getting things inbound.

When I thought I might want to beef up my sleeping bag, I did some searches about shipping to Peru. Amazon ships to many places and one could try "poste restante" to pick up at a general post office and pay duties there. There were also companies that give you a US address, bundle all the mail/packages together and then send to your Peruvian address. So it might all have worked...

However, Peru is also a popular destination for tourists to go trekking/camping up in the Andes. In the largest tourist cities there are some shops that sell limited outdoor goods - and even some places that will rent you the right trekking gear. So I figured (correctly) that it wouldn't be too hard to find something in Peru's second largest city, Arequipa, However, even before I got there, some cyclists coming the other way gave me an extra light sleeping bag they no longer needed (much appreciated).

That is Peru. Other countries will be different.
Old 07-19-17, 08:24 AM
jefnvk

I'm more likely to think if I've got the cash for an extended tour, I can probably afford to replace the down jacket. Take an old one and donate it to charity or a homeless person when you no longer need it. I left my sleeping pad in the freebie section of the hostel in Reykjavik, because I didn't want to deal with getting it home.

As a diabetic, I'd never try to ship my insulin abroad. Hand carry it, and if you can't take enough, make sure when you are getting to the end of the supply, you are in a country where you can visit a doctor and get a refill, get home to get more, or have someone bring it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.