Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

CoMotion Siskiyou with Pinion/Gates

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-19-17, 12:34 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts

For a mere ~$8,000

https://co-motion.com/bikes/siskiyou

Last edited by seeker333; 07-19-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 01:07 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Co-motion is well known for excellent steel frames. Pinion costs a lot more than deraileurs, even electronic. Not to mention the S&S. So they guy is excited, he must think it's worth it. I hope he has a good time.
Old 07-19-17, 02:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
That is a very nice looking bike, I bet it rides very nice.

But, I am content with a Rohloff on an off-the-shelf frame, don't need a Pinion. And I have a dynohub, something that the $8k bike lacked.
Old 07-19-17, 03:23 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I'm just stoked my rather less fancied steed (Montague Paratrooper framed) has a component in common with the 8k wonderbike: The TRP Spyre brakes. They remain a good choice for a cable operated brake.
Old 07-19-17, 03:46 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But, I am content with a Rohloff on an off-the-shelf frame, don't need a Pinion. And I have a dynohub, something that the $8k bike lacked.
You would think that for the price, a dyno would be standard equipment.
Old 07-19-17, 05:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by tspoon
I'm just stoked my rather less fancied steed (Montague Paratrooper framed) has a component in common with the 8k wonderbike: The TRP Spyre brakes. They remain a good choice for a cable operated brake.
When I built up another bike a few months ago, I looked at the Co-Motion website to see what they were using these days for components. My thinking was that they try to use the best stuff, even if it is on the expensive side. I noticed the Spyre there too, which helped convince me to buy the Spyre for the bike I was building up. I am pretty happy with that brake.

Originally Posted by NoControl
You would think that for the price, a dyno would be standard equipment.
Agree. I was wondering which USB charger they were using for an $8k bike, that is when I noticed a lack of dyno hub and related gizmos.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 07-19-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 06:03 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Looks pretty nice & pretty pricey.

Personally, comparing it to my ~$2K S&S coupled LHT, I'm not sure the extra $6K would improve my touring experience. And should anything go wrong, those cutting-edge components would quick become an albatross.
Old 07-19-17, 06:15 PM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a pretty pimp ride. I'd love to try a Pinion system and see how it compares with the Rohloff.
Old 07-19-17, 08:07 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by BigAura

Personally, comparing it to my ~$2K S&S coupled LHT, I'm not sure the extra $6K would improve my touring experience. And should anything go wrong, those cutting-edge components would quick become an albatross.
Albatross! Lol, I love that saying. I think $8k is a huge statement. Back in that day, I skied quite a lot we had the term "snow bunny." It was a term for someone who had all the sweet gear and clothing but couldn't ski worth a hoot. They looked great on the slopes, but when asked to perform - well, it just wasn't there. I feel this way about a super high-dollar bike. Is it even necessary? Maybe I'm just an old hippy, but I really want to simply thumb my nose at it. I mean, you can make a grocery run in a Corvette or a Pinto. In the end you get the same results.
Old 07-19-17, 08:48 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I mean, you can make a grocery run in a Corvette or a Pinto. In the end you get the same results.
Unless someone rear-ends you!
Old 07-19-17, 09:25 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the amount of time Darren Alff spends touring every year I think whatever he spends on a bike is money well spent.
Old 07-19-17, 09:47 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Albatross! Lol, I love that saying. I think $8k is a huge statement. Back in that day, I skied quite a lot we had the term "snow bunny." It was a term for someone who had all the sweet gear and clothing but couldn't ski worth a hoot. They looked great on the slopes, but when asked to perform - well, it just wasn't there. I feel this way about a super high-dollar bike. Is it even necessary? Maybe I'm just an old hippy, but I really want to simply thumb my nose at it. I mean, you can make a grocery run in a Corvette or a Pinto. In the end you get the same results.
Your's is only one opinion. Some people can tell the difference and appreciate that difference in a higher quality bicycle. I've never seen a person that bought a flashy bicycle for the image. Only because they appreciated the nuances of a better bicycle.
Old 07-19-17, 11:11 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Interesting video.

I can see a real value in those S&S couplers for travel. If I flew more I would seriously think about investing in something like that. Pinion.. not so much.

Kinda cool that after he put the bike together and set off on the road with 4 panniers and a HB bag that he really didn't talk about the bike at all. Just what he saw, the view of the lake, how far he had gone, how tired he was, when the sun set and where he would set up his tent. About what I'd expect on a bike tour. Those are the conversations I usually have with others. It did not seem the 8K bike made much of a difference that way.
Old 07-20-17, 12:24 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tspoon

I dunno, I think the Paratroopers are pretty fancy as far as folders go. I've got one myself and there aren't many folders that can take as much of a beating as those.
Old 07-20-17, 12:55 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Pinion P.18 has best gear range but it's much more expensive & heavier than even Rohloff, not sure why even intended MTB market riders would want it. OTOH since Surly Trucker has helped introduce disc brakes & Rohloff compatibility I'd also wish to see a split rear dropout for belt drive.
Old 07-20-17, 01:47 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
It needs to be kept in mind that the Pinion only allows for 250nm max torque. Now that's not something people usually pull off touring but it is something I can push relatively easily especially when climbing a hill, or rather, starting off in the middle of a steep one. I think Rohloff also has a torque limit but I have no idea what that is.
Old 07-20-17, 04:52 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
OTOH since Surly Trucker has helped introduce disc brakes & Rohloff compatibility I'd also wish to see a split rear dropout for belt drive.
I know, right? It seems to me that a belt drive is the cherry on top for a build that includes a Rohloff. Surly is a forward-thinking company, and they certainly own a share of the touring market. One would think that someone there would have come to the conclusion that a split dropout would help to sell more bikes. Look at the World Troller for instance. It has every option available and is a very versatile frame. You could even hang two or three different types of brakes on it, but NO split dropout. An oversight... surely... for Surly...
Old 07-20-17, 05:04 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is a very nice looking bike, I bet it rides very nice. But, I am content with a Rohloff on an off-the-shelf frame, don't need a Pinion. And I have a dynohub, something that the $8k bike lacked.
I'd pick Rohloff over Pinion too. Although Pinion has a bit wider gear range (636% vs 526%) split into more "speeds" (18 vs 14) for overall lower increment per gear change (12% vs 14%), Pinion is 1-2 lbs heavier, costs more and limits options in that it may only be acquired in complete bicycle form. Pinion is probably less durable than Rohloff, making the Pinion an even more costly choice. Pinion has stated the P18 has a service life of 60,000kmi, while a number of Rohloff users have achieved significantly more, to 100,000 km and beyond.

I'd pick this Siskiyou with Rohloff hub, less-rack-mount-interfering chainstay brake caliper mount and eccentric BB.

CoMo offers the Pathfinder Package as a $600 option on all it's bike, consisting of a Schmidt SON28 hub, Edelux II headlight and Sinewave Cycles Reactor USB steerer cap. That is a good lighting/charging package but it's twice what you or I would pay for the parts from a German LBS (which is the case for every component or option on a CoMo bike).

Looks pretty nice & pretty pricey. Personally, comparing it to my ~$2K S&S coupled LHT, I'm not sure the extra $6K would improve my touring experience. And should anything go wrong, those cutting-edge components would quick become an albatross.
Yes, I and most others find a reasonably spec'd LHT/DT is more than adequate for the job. There's a chance you could jury-rig your derailleur bike to limp along to the next LBS, where repair service or parts would be likely be available immediately or in a couple days. There's no chance of this happening with Rohloff or Pinion, since the solution requires parts shipped to Germany for repair/replacement, and the bicycle is rendered useless. You won't find Gates parts or a Gates-experienced mechanic in hardly any LBS either.

Not too surprisingly, many S&S bike owners do not always disassemble their bikes for transport because it's a PITA, including Darren Alff of the video linked in #1. In his YouTube videos, Darren usually boxed or bagged his former bike (CoMo Pangea) for transport.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Pinion P.18 has best gear range but it's much more expensive & heavier than even Rohloff, not sure why even intended MTB market riders would want it. OTOH since Surly Trucker has helped introduce disc brakes & Rohloff compatibility I'd also wish to see a split rear dropout for belt drive.
Rohloff and especially Pinion are a big weight increase over derailleur drive. Plus pedaling efficiency loss over a well maintained derailleur drive.

I think Surly/Maxway could build an eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) and frame break into a LHT/DT for another $250 on the MSRP, but then it would compete directly with owner QBP's more upscale Salsa models (Vaya, Marrakesh). I'd prefer a Vaya frameset (for the shorter ETT and longer headtube) with 26" or 650b wheels and an EBB and frame break - but don't know if I'd buy it after I saw the ~$1000 pricetag.
Old 07-20-17, 08:32 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikenky keeps a stock of LHTs for S&S install. Maybe he could change the dropouts for belt drive?
Call him, he would know. But at that price you're probably close to the cost of a Co-motion.?
Old 07-20-17, 09:18 AM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Bikenky keeps a stock of LHTs for S&S install. Maybe he could change the dropouts for belt drive?
Call him, he would know. But at that price you're probably close to the cost of a Co-motion.?
Are you meaning Bilenky Bikes in Philadelphia?
Old 07-20-17, 11:15 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by derath
Are you meaning Bilenky Bikes in Philadelphia?
Yes
Just out of curiosity I looked up that Bilenky sells the S&S LHT for $2400 and the DT for $2550.
No answer if they will do split dropouts, or $$ for it.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 07-20-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 12:25 PM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
An $8000 bicycle! P.T. Barnum was right.
Old 07-20-17, 01:08 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I've never seen a person that bought a flashy bicycle for the image.
Really!? You don't get around much do you.

Oh, by the way, I have a disc trucker & absolutely love it. ,

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-20-17 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Removed personal insults
Old 07-20-17, 02:57 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I call bling bikes like that "coffee crawlers". You are far more likely to see one at Starbucks than going over a mountain pass.
Old 07-20-17, 03:04 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
*comes in, looks around...*
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.