Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Riding after lung surgery

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Riding after lung surgery

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 06:53 AM
mike.b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brad,

Glad to hear you were able to spend some time on the bike. After treatment I had CT scans every three months for the first two years.
My radiation treatment was different from yours. Do you have a risk of radiation fibrosis? If so, will you be having follow up PFTs?

mike
Old 07-16-19, 03:30 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 321 Posts
I had a PET scan yesterday that examined from the top of my head to my groin. The results show no new cancer, and the cancer in my lungs is dead. Side effects have been non-existant, and my lung capacity seems to be fine. This past saturday I managed a 40 mile ride averaging 17 mph. Feelin' pretty good!
Old 07-16-19, 03:36 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by mike.b
Brad,

Glad to hear you were able to spend some time on the bike. After treatment I had CT scans every three months for the first two years.
My radiation treatment was different from yours. Do you have a risk of radiation fibrosis? If so, will you be having follow up PFTs?

mike
I apparently have a bit of it from my earlier radiation treatments on my neck (I had a neck dissection and 35 nodes removed followed by 6 weeks of radiation). My neck muscles on the left side are still fairly tight, and I get weird spasms occasionally. I think the fact that I had on 4 treatments on the lung reduced the risk of fibrosis there.