Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Riding, diet and gout

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Riding, diet and gout

Old 08-19-19, 10:22 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
Riding, diet and gout

This has been a good year for me cycling wise. Probably more riding this year than I've done in the last 10.
It has also been a social summer. A lot of beers and BBQ.
Well, 2 days ago, I woke up with foot pain. I thought I just wore some poorly made sandals and there was not enough support, but after 2 days it got worse, I went to see the doctor and he told me I had gout!!!
I guess it can be a an age thing. Very active, but 1 out of 3 (active, food, alcohol) and it will still get you.
I like to use natural cures along with modern medicine, but there is very little out there, so I am taking pills, then some more pills
Old 08-19-19, 11:05 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?client...causes+of+gout Take a look at some of the web sites Google found. You may get some hints about diet that will reduce your symptoms. Evidently, certain foods promote gout and others do just the opposite. Good luck.
Old 08-19-19, 06:16 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
..lot of beers and BBQ...
I'd start there as what not to do.

But riding is always good IMO.
Likes For BigAura:
Old 08-19-19, 08:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Moved from 50+ to Pills and Ills.
Old 08-20-19, 05:46 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Yours is starting late and will hopefully be amenable to dietary changes although I never found any coherent guide to what will or will not exacerbate gout. I was plagued with gout in my 40s and finally began taking daily allopurinol and have not had a recurrence. I don't like taking unneeded meds either but made an exception for allopurinol. The only other pills I take are a few supplements.
Old 08-20-19, 05:54 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
See your doctor and/or a dietician - and not a "nutritionist" (who are generally quacks, or at least not nearly as qualified). If you're lucky you can identify what behaviors may contribute to having the symptoms of gout... as suggested, "beer and BBQ" is a good place to start.

With the help of my GP, I was able to narrow down my "symptoms of gout" (in my 30s) to binging on "Cool Ranch Doritos" and some processed meats, chorizo mostly. I'm sure everyone is different.

A nice side-effect of a thorough and objective analysis of your dietary intake might be identifying other potential risk areas. In my case, it was quickly evident my sugar intake was ridiculous (added to coffee, and Pepsi). Cycling and other sporting activities masked any outward signs, as I'm not overweight - but your body still has to process what you put into it.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-19, 10:34 AM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
You could try tart cherry juice , look for the good stuff with out added sugar. It does not take much.Also just fresh cherries just one or two a day might do the trick to prevent attacks .I am a 40 year gout sufferer who has been in reasonable control for about 30.
Old 08-20-19, 12:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
cut out ANY animal meat & ANY alcohol (especially now while fighting an attack). eggs are OK. drink lots of water. sometimes add fresh squeezed lemon juice, sometimes add unfiltered apple cider vinegar

after you recover, experiment adding back some moderate alcohol & animal meat

if this is your first gout attack it will probably recover OK with pills. if you don't cut out (or reduce) meat & alcohol the attacks will come back & become worse with each attack

it took me years to discover this information & to get to a point where I can eat meat & drink alcohol w/o fear of an attack. I still continue the lemon juice & apple cider vinegar

good luck

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-28-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 08:43 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Alpurinol, vitamins, good fitting shoes and riding the hell out of my bike.....my fixes.

High fructose corn syrup in sodas was my trigger. Nothing and I mean nothing has ever hurt so bad as a full blown attack.
Old 08-22-19, 08:45 AM
2metalhips

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Eat plants, don't eat dead animals.
Old 08-22-19, 08:52 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Originally Posted by 2metalhips
Eat plants, don't eat dead animals.
Certainly worth a try but it won't help everybody. Gout runs in my family and effects the meat eaters and the vegetarians. Allopurinol is the answer for us. That said, eating well is good for lots of reasons.
Old 08-28-19, 01:13 AM
ALANB58

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have gout, (well periodically) never heard of Allopurinol until today, it is to reduce the production of uric acid. This is what has worked for me. Don't get dehydrated, don't get stressed out. Yeah sometimes hard to do, but don't get dehydrated, stressed out and drink a bunch of beer. I had a bunch of attacks, then when the opportunity arose to give up my lead job at work, I jumped on that one. Same pay, no stress, those fools can waste money any way they want, at least I can walk. I was prescribed colcrys and indomethacin and when I feel it coming on, I take them. For me the bottom line seems to be not caring at all how my employer group wastes money and not getting dehydrated. Simple as that! My office can get pretty hot, upper 70s easy. All the people and computers. Sounds simplistic but there is a stress element to gout. Oh yeah, sometimes my wife helps me get all stressy, forgot that part.

Last edited by ALANB58; 08-29-19 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Forgot something important
Old 08-28-19, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
Gout runs in my family and effects the meat eaters and the vegetarians
do the veggies drink alcohol?
Old 08-28-19, 09:35 AM
donheff

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
do the veggies drink alcohol?
We’re Irish.
Likes For donheff:
Old 08-28-19, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
I suspect dehydration, beer and sausage but it's unpredictable. My uric acid is always high but attacks are usually a couple of years apart so I don't take meds. I once had an attack at the beginning of a week long bike tour. Pedaling was tolerable (lots of Alleve) but clipping in was excruciating. I left the shoe clipped to the pedal which was awkward because it was my "down" foot. I only toppled over once but did a lot of planning ahead for dismounts.
Old 08-29-19, 08:16 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Ive had 2 bad flare ups. Dehydration+seafood+stress+beer and bang! I have the Allopurinol at hand for work assignments that involve travel and a lot of walking.
Old 08-30-19, 12:04 PM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I can't take any strong NSAID because it tears up my stomach. The doctor went through all kinds of stuff to relieve my gout before she gave me a steroid to relieve the inflammation. She said treat it like it is - a form of arthritis. I have sworn off all shellfish and try not to each much red meat but my primary weakness is beer - a habit that I have had for 40+ years. It's hard. I like beer. It makes me happy.
Old 09-01-19, 10:47 PM
ja1124

Bikes: 1993 Giant Rincon, 1993 Trek MultiTrack 720, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Giant Innova, 1995 Trek MultiTrack 700 (stolen from my possession but still mine!)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have occasional flare-ups and they do not seem to correspond to any dietary factors. I suspect in my case it has to do with the kidneys. Recently I've begun eating a bundle of fresh asparagus each week. A 1 lb. bundle provides me with three servings. I observed during the first week that my urine had that classic post-asparagus pungency the morning after the first serving. It was less pungent after the second serving, and had no discernable odor after the third. This suggested to me that the asparagus was cleansing my kidneys. I got the idea after reading about the asparagus cure. I need more time to evaluate it as a cure for gout though. For the past decade I've had two or three flare-ups each year. The worst attack came after eating about a pound of animal crackers over a 24 hour period. The cow-shaped crackers are the worst offenders.
Old 09-04-19, 02:49 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I had that a few years back. Was still able to get into my cycling shoes and ride, though.